ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the Clio 197/200 a poor daily?

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I drive my 172 Cup to events, often 250 mile roundtrips; it will cruise in fifth quite happily at only 50 in the inevitable average speed camera'd roadworks sections.It will actually pull away smoothly but gently from under 40 in fifth, ie it can be driven relaxedly without the need to firewall the thing all the time .

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I prefered my 200 to my current 182, or previus 172.

I agree though as a daily, the 200 was difficult. Having to explain to passengers how to sit in my recaro's, pre-warning over how stiff the ride is etc.

Comparing the my MK7 Fiesta ST. It was still stiff, but with softer, more accessible seats, and the added bonus of the turbo meaning you didn't have to drive like a yob to get anywhere.

Personally, a perfect combo for me would be a MK2 200 with a Meg engine. Solved.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Modern performance cars are less engaging imo. Fiesta being a good example. I found it so unbelievably ordinary to be in, it didn't feel like a performance car (bar the terrible low speed ride) until you drive it hard.
That duality makes it easier to live with. 100%. But it also makes you feel like you're driving an ordinary car most of the time.
I (personally) am happy, no, would prefer to have something that's less 'easy', and feels more 'sporty'. I found the 200 a bit dull in all honesty, a bit too liveable.

Listerine & Poledo
Or just get a hot hatch / sports that isn't the size of a small office complex?
90's cars were better generally. No nanny-state driver AIDS or carrying around an entire bouncy castle just in case you overestimate your skills and peppy your way through a wall.
"but they dont all come with turbos and 200hp"

No, they dont, because you'll be going quite fast enough to soil yourself when a car pulls out of a wet junction on you and you're reliant on just ABS and your hands to stop you pirouette into oncoming traffic.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Does seem that the 90's to early 2000's were a sweet spot to folks like me (simpletons). Abs, fully switchable tc, light weight, hydraulic steering.
Hatches especially. Big na engine, big brakes. Simple. Fun.
The newer stuff is better in every objective, measurable way. More capable, faster, quieter. Not sure they offer the same enjoyment though.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I agree with @ForceIndia - With cars such as the Fiesta ST that are so easy to live with (bar the ride) - It does feel like a machine. It's hard to connect with the car.

I don't actually think my 182 is as good as people say 182's are, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it's definatley easier to get attached to that the ST was, despite it's rattles and shitness

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Use cruise cintro
I agree with @ForceIndia - With cars such as the Fiesta ST that are so easy to live with (bar the ride) - It does feel like a machine. It's hard to connect with the car.

I don't actually think my 182 is as good as people say 182's are, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it's definatley easier to get attached to that the ST was, despite it's rattles and shitness

True but your comparing a ten year old clio with worn parts to a nearly new fiesta st....

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Use cruise cintro

True but your comparing a ten year old clio with worn parts to a nearly new fiesta st....

I probably didn't do a great job wording that. I was attempting to say, the ST was a perfect daily, and the Clio far from, but I'd still pick the Clio anyway, as it has a soul.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
@Knuckles

I Think you need to get your car remapped mate. That'll sort out the kangarooing, lack of torque and to some extent, fuel economy.

Where I used to go into 2nd to overtake I find 3rd more than adequate now. Really makes a difference. Not on about an RS tuner either. A proper remap on the rollers.

It's not too much the kangarooing or performance, it's that the Clio feels like it's constantly on one lol

I wonder if the civic has ruined me as its more comfy than the Clio

Suzuki Jimny
Bunch of wimps :wink:. I'd drive an elise as a daily if I could live with something that impractical. You have to accept a certain level of compromise if you want a drivers car

This.

I hired an exige at RSR nurburg and after that the clio felt like a big soft range rover.
I got annoyed with the 172 cup I had because of the loudness etc. then got a bmw 328i and was bored to tears.

PH2 RS172
'falcon punch to the bladder'

quite possibly the most epic statement ive read on here lol. great write up.... the 172 is great for me as i drive 10 miles a day. 310ish miles out of a full tank for £47ish is good compared to past cars ive owned and it pulls well enough to leave 95 percent of tools that tailgate in the distance. on the downside its as comfortable to drive as a bathtub with plastic wheels and idles like a banger. that aside i love my 172 and was thinking that the only upgrade id do would be to a 197 but i keep hearing mixed reports on them like this..... i need to get behind the wheel of one beforehand i think...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
'falcon punch to the bladder'

quite possibly the most epic statement ive read on here lol. great write up.... the 172 is great for me as i drive 10 miles a day. 310ish miles out of a full tank for £47ish is good compared to past cars ive owned and it pulls well enough to leave 95 percent of tools that tailgate in the distance. on the downside its as comfortable to drive as a bathtub with plastic wheels and idles like a banger. that aside i love my 172 and was thinking that the only upgrade id do would be to a 197 but i keep hearing mixed reports on them like this..... i need to get behind the wheel of one beforehand i think...

Lol, glad you liked it.

And don't get me wrong, 197s are amazing drivers cars. I just really don't think it was ever intended as a daily haha.

Three years must be taking its toll on me lol

Clio 172
Tbh I'm finding my 172 a nice daily (60 miles per day) - there are various dodgy noises, and the sense of relief when I reach home or work without breaking down is great. On the motorway I just cruise at 70, no problem, 40 to the gallon, if I give it stick I'm still not convinced the engine is not going to fall out due to mounts. As a matter of interest at 4000rpm in 5th the car does 85mph, is that normal?

Tbh I'm finding my 172 a nice daily (60 miles per day) - there are various dodgy noises, and the sense of relief when I reach home or work without breaking down is great. On the motorway I just cruise at 70, no problem, 40 to the gallon, if I give it stick I'm still not convinced the engine is not going to fall out due to mounts. As a matter of interest at 4000rpm in 5th the car does 85mph, is that normal?

Yes

PH2 RS172
yes. imo the 172 gear ratios are perfect if youre wringing its neck but it could really have done with a 6th gear sos to comfortably take on motorway driving without trying to sound like youre attempting to catch an evo on a track day. ive had lots of quick cars in the past, and never have i been in a car that wants to be driven like the rs clio. its like its always asking to be booted everywhere even when youre just nipping to the shops. aggressive little buggers lol. ive also never had so much aggro from people trying to get me to have a go at them.... literally everyone seems to want to race and constantly tailgate. never had so much aggro in any other car

Clio 172
Excellent, my car does something normal, things are looking up. In the process of gathering parts at the moment, then get them fitted at birchdown, then unleash the 5000rpm mayhem!!!!

Clio 172
I actually can't imagine how these 172 could go 130mph, it must sound like the world is about to end :grimacing:

133/225/CLS AMG
I suppose what you have to consider with any hot hatch is its effectively a modified version of a normal car. So it's compromised in some ways.

The Clio RS' has always been about being focused on driving quick so driving them slow can feel a bit tiresome. I used to commute in my first 172 and it was excellent. Creature comforts and good power on tap but I appreciate that it always feels urgent and not relaxed. I imagine the 200 to feel similar.

Here's the point I think though. If you want a fast car that does everything the 200 does that. It's a Jack of all trades and a master of one, being a hot hatch. Bound to be a few compromises or else you'd buy a diesel Focus or something!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I hate my 182 as a daily. I hate it full stop, to be honest. I actually prefer driving my Mrs' 1.1 106 to work and back, which I've been doing for the last week or so. Apart from the interior being as dirty as a council house's front garden, that is.

It depends on mileage and convenience. I have a diesel bora and a clio track car and the clio was great fun on the road, but not for 30k miles a year, and also not for short journeys as fixed buckets, harnesses and no central locking made it a pain to nip places in (almost as much of a pain as the bike). It was great for 20-30 mile single destination journeys and I found myself walking past it for the bora for just about anything else.

A standard 172 is a nice compromise IMHO, they go well enough, are characterful and fairly economical. The 197 seemed to lose its way a bit sadly.

SG 200
ive also never had so much aggro from people trying to get me to have a go at them.... literally everyone seems to want to race and constantly tailgate. never had so much aggro in any other car
i was thinking that was just me! Same day I picked up the car I had some prat in an astra with a jet engine exhaust chase me out of tesco! Happens all the time.

I use my 200 as a daily and can't speak highly enough of it. I know exactly what you mean @Knuckles with all of your points but as others have said, I'd happily take the downsides to keep the smile on my face. I got this 200 as a replacement for a diesel focus, which was slowly killing me of boredom

Megane 275 trophy006
I ran my 197 for 4 years as a daily. Had standard seats and it wasn't cup packed for the whole reason it was a daily as well as occasional fun.
I was doing 20 miles a day rising to 80 miles a day.

I was doing more money then I care to think about in fuel and I will admit the car isn't an easy car as a daily but I wouldn't take back the 4 years I had with it.
Never failed to put a smile on my face, even in the disastrous last year of ownership. Mine was fully kitted out bar the recaros and cup pack options. Pano sunroof made the car a different place to be, especially in the summer.

I was going through 2 lots of tyres some years. As well as the fact I was servicing it every 10 months due to mileage (i soon learnt to do the majority of a service myself). It was having oil changes every 4-6 because these are highly strung machines so care is vital.

It's a car that does want to be pushed. It isn't an easy car to gather speed in unless you're in the correct gear and so many times I got caught out with traffic in front of me suddenly going quicker then my car in 6th gear wanted to get up to.
Considering I covered 110k I didn't seem to have much wear on the actual seat covers but the foam either side had split revealing the bar so if you sat down to hard you'd know about it. The steering wheel looked like the wicked witch of the west after a rainstorm but other then that I have no other niggles with the interior.
The clutch can be sharp to those who aren't used to it and the kangaroos in the beginning of my ownership before I discovered the cable the trick.

My mileage had since quartered as I've moved closer to work and I've been craving a change. No longer an owner of the 197 but I wouldn't rule out ever owning a 197 or 200 again.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I will be the first to admit - the 197 isn't the best daily. Not even in the top 100. There is still something about it though that is stopping me from selling it/buying an alternative daily.

What this is though, I don't know.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Character, oh and renault bug
If by character you mean that it keeps you on your toes by developing a new problem daily then yes, I agree.

Went out for a meal with the missus earlier, pulled in to my drive and todays issue popped up - n/s headlight bulb gone.

Looks like the bumpers coming off tomorrow ;) !

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive just bought one as my new daily!!! I loved my old 200 as a daily when it worked but it was a Friday afternoon car, most unreliable piece of s**t in the world!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I will be the first to admit - the 197 isn't the best daily. Not even in the top 100. There is still something about it though that is stopping me from selling it/buying an alternative daily.

What this is though, I don't know.

I get exactly what you mean

No matter how many times I consider selling, I can't. I think it's because I know I'll struggle to find anything else as fun.

The only solution is a second car lol.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I get exactly what you mean

No matter how many times I consider selling, I can't. I think it's because I know I'll struggle to find anything else as fun.

The only solution is a second car lol.
I'm half debating the TT 3.2 Quattro with DSG box but still can't seem to do it. Almost went Elise a little while ago but bottled selling the 197!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm half debating the TT 3.2 Quattro with DSG box but still can't seem to do it. Almost went Elise a little while ago but bottled selling the 197!
I've been reading up on the dsg recently for a potential purchase. Wouldn't buy one with the 3.2.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All the things you are moaning about is exacty what i was telling all about the old 200, the new one resolves all these issues, just get the right spec leather with a cup chassis and if you want it to piss of big diesel mercs etc on the motorway just get it mapped like mywifes black one. Forget about holding the gearstick cause you wont be spinning around in circles like bms etc and i think the megane 265 is to big and will loose bundles£££££. An older r26 may be an option but its old, the focus rs mk2 is best option but be careful what you buy and check the historyl car dealers lie, not steve but all others.

Reactions: Gus