ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the garage trying to pull a fast one on me?

Valver
Last week found out my n/s/r brake disc was cracked, twice! So I got some replacement discs + pads and went to a local garage so they could be fitted. They said it would cost me £70+vat for fitting (both sides).

So first of all I forgot about the bearings being in the discs so the garage rings me up and says it going to cost £33+vat per bearing. little expensive maybe but I had to have it done so I agreed, they then tell me they don't have a press because they are moving location but I had to have it done that day so I said find someone else to press them and I'll pay for it, so thats £25+vat according to the garage... So for it all it cost £179inc vat :(

Right so after forking out all that, they tell me my caliper is seized and I should replace it in the near future, so following week I book it in for that. Right they charge me £60+vat for a caliper (this includes keeping my old caliper for re-furb), £40+vat labour, then they say one of holes for one of the caliper bolts is f**ked some how and needs to be retapped? £25+vat, handbrake cable is apparently gone, £37+vat (inc labour), pads are totally worn (despite being new from the previous week) £22+vat for 2 pads!!

Cost me £210 in the end for all of that. I've been had haven't I? Also surely they are the ones who broke the caliper-bolt-hole as they changed the discs and would have had to take the caliper off to do so. According to the mechanic however you don't have to take the caliper off to change the disc, w t f...??

Sorry for long post, but advice guys?

Sami said:
Last week found out my n/s/r brake disc was cracked, twice! So I got some replacement discs + pads and went to a local garage so they could be fitted. They said it would cost me £70+vat for fitting (both sides).

So first of all I forgot about the bearings being in the discs so the garage rings me up and says it going to cost £33+vat per bearing. little expensive maybe but I had to have it done so I agreed, they then tell me they don't have a press because they are moving location but I had to have it done that day so I said find someone else to press them and I'll pay for it, so thats £25+vat according to the garage... So for it all it cost £179inc vat :(

Right so after forking out all that, they tell me my caliper is seized and I should replace it in the near future, so following week I book it in for that. Right they charge me £60+vat for a caliper (this includes keeping my old caliper for re-furb), £40+vat labour, then they say one of holes for one of the caliper bolts is f**ked some how and needs to be retapped? £25+vat, handbrake cable is apparently gone, £37+vat (inc labour), pads are totally worn (despite being new from the previous week) £22+vat for 2 pads!!

Cost me £210 in the end for all of that. I've been had haven't I? Also surely they are the ones who broke the caliper-bolt-hole as they changed the discs and would have had to take the caliper off to do so. According to the mechanic however you don't have to take the caliper off to change the disc, w t f...??

NIGHTMARE :( SORRY ,

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Thats deff not on !

Hmmmm tricky being a small? local garage.

I suggest you go and point out what you have mentioned and see what the manager says?

They seem to have added plenty of money onto the origional cost, as for the pads being worn which they replaced, i think u shud have mentioned it to them when they told u!
Even so get back onto them about it.

The origional price seems valid to change stuff over... but all the other "extra" charges seem to have crippled you.

Deff get back onto them and say your not happy.

Worst case scenario, get trading standards involved if they become totally non-helpfull
(document all letters and comms to them)

Valver
Well they point-blank lied to me about the caliper as the whole thing has to come off to get the disc out! Maybe I could point that out and ask for money back or I'll go to small claims court/trading standards and they'll lose a lot more money if I do that!

I don't even know for sure if the cable was broken as they lied about the bolt-holes so they could have made it up? Also £22+vat for 2 pads, I could get them cheaper direct from renault, and thats saying something :(

Lionel Richie
Sami said:
They said it would cost me £70+vat for fitting (both sides)

it takes 2 min to retap a thread and they charged you £25+vat!!!!!!!!

you can get a complete rear set of pads for £22!!!!

in future sami, i would suggest asking a club member to fit stuff for you

Valver
Yeah unfortunately on both occasions I had to have the car that day and didn't have time to go else where! :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
quite simple, ask to see all the old broken parts. then you can see whats what for yourself. although it is a valver, so chances are it was sha99ed!! ;)

sold
Might be worth mentioning to your local Trading Standards.
If the garage is that dodgy, they may have a file on them and be building a case to prosecute.

Not a Clio
think it's too late now if you've already agreed to have the parts fitted.

I'd walk away having learnt a lesson the expensive way.

Why did you agree to have brake pads replaced that were only a week old though?

Valver
The caliper was sticking on the disc so the pads could have worn I suppose, I did drive it a fair bit during that week?

So can I go back and threaten them with some form of legal action if they don't give me some money back? Especially over the caliper as that was total rubbish...

ha ha ha ha you have been had mate or there really are some cow boys out the fair enought about the bearings but paying some 1 else to press them out bollox should be covered in the labout they quoted you in first place not your fault there moving !!you dont refurb calipers well iv never heard of it in 3 years iv been a mechanic. yes they fucked the hole for the caliper so they should retap it for FREE
you must have done some seriouse miles to wear pads in a week !!! and you NEVER just replace two pads if you dont have vented discs you normally dont need to remove the caliper to change discs but if you have vented they had you on that 1

all in all YOU HAVE BEEN HAD FELLA

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4609891444&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1