ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is there a want/need for this sub box **stealth**

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Since i have finished college i am finding it hard to get the right job and i need somthing to pass the time.

In my old saxo i used to have a sub box that was a snug (perfect fit) into the side of the boot, the sides were moulded to the cars side and the angle was that of the rear seat, in the box is a 12/10 inch sub woofer and behind the box is were the amp is placed, can all be taken out in a matter of seconds (have to undo connections etc).

The good thing is that it blends in, with the moulding it does not stick out like a saw thumb and you still have a boot :)

I am thinking of making a prototype one for my car but i am just wondering is there much of a want for this off others (???) if i make one i can use the templates to make as many as i can etc.

The box would be made from MDF - not very thick stuff (yet to work this out) then coverd in the desired colour choice of acoustic carpet.

I have just finished making my stealth shelf and this got me thinking about the sub box.

shelf1.jpg

shelf2.jpg

shelf3.jpg

shelf4.jpg

Please note not everyone who has a sub parks on mackies carpark bangin it out loud, a good setup system with a good sub makes some good crisp sound :) can appreciate the music more - thats what i think anyway :) lol

Just got a new alpine headunit too :) very hard to get the face in when its dark !!

headunit1.jpg

headunit2.jpg

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
auto acoustics already make one, its quite pricy, i got one, its ok, but i am going to get rid of, and make my own spare wheel sub box, us lucky 172 owners can do this :)

Just been on their webiste, very nice !! indeed !! very pricey tho, bet thats up there at 200 with postage.

If you could do one for A LOT less than the auto acoustics one then I'd possibly be interested. I had a sub in my previous car (bigger boot) but I use the clio boot to capacity most of the time and would need a very neat/small sub. It'd be for SQ rather than volume - the standard 5.25"s just don't give a full enough sound IMO. Also, I don't want to weigh down the car any more than I have to (lardy 172 FF...), so an idea of weight would be good too.

If you decide to go ahead let me know costs/weight, etc. Probably for a 10" as I guess I'd need a smaller enclosure than for a 12".

Hi ally,

I'm going to have a go at one myself this week - i am going to go with the 10" as its sound quality we are after and it gives more than enough bass tone.

i will get to work and see what happens :)

the criteria is going to be light weight - minimum space so the boot is still useable for the kitchen sink !!

Just been having a little mess about with some card board.

I have estimated the below figures for an Alpine 10" SWR sub woofer
Alpine say for sealed boxes the capacity should be:
Recomended will work and sound ok 18.4L
For The best sound quality 26.3L

The Alpine 10" SWS sub woofer
Alpine say for sealed boxes the capacity should be:
Recomended 28.3L
For the best sound quality 42.5L

I have been working my dimensions out and have come up with the following from this little crude design here:

subcard1.jpg

Now i know it sticks out quite far (the base here is too large, same as the top, makes it misleading)

The depth here is 10" giving 33.41L capacity.

I have worked out i can take a whole 2" off o the depth making it 8", this would make it ultra slim line and give a total capacity of 26.7L Perect for the SWR sub

However i may make it 9" depth - this amounts to a total of 30L capacity.

please excuse the crude cardboard cut out, you get the idea.

Last edited:
  M135i
i'd possibly be interested in one of these as im currently running a kappa perfect 12. the box is quite big to accomodate the volume it needs. so a smaller sub would be great in a tidy install for the clios boot. :)

Have you considered making it slightly less deep and putting the sub in the side that faces the boot? I believe that gives an uplift in volume to a certain extent. (though it's only what I've read lol)

hey :)

i had thought about puting the sub facing the boot lid, however it cant be any less deep as the face of the sub is 10", the depth now is currently 10" - im going to get that down to 8" tomorrow so the boot will look masive and the quality will be great :)

the base of the card is about 13 at the moment so makes it look alot wider, i did not cut that to 10" width.

:clap: Good work!

Definately liking the idea of a box that only eats away 8 or 9" of floor space from the side of the boot. Not a bad compromise between better SQ and keeping a useable boot.

You might need to use something a bit thicker than carboard though mate... ;). Nah, I know MDF weighs a feckin ton but I wonder how thin it could be before having problems with rigidity/build?

I'll keep checking this thread!

Ally

Morning lol yea i think the cardboard would be a little too gheto.

Going to have a look at the MDF today, can use different thicknesses, the front and base can be thiner than the sides - will have a little mess about with the MDF today.

will have to use my jigsaw as my circular saw is locked in the garage and dads got the keys for a week lol

Been on it today.

Started to nock one up out of some MDF - just messing around with it really.

box1.JPG

the way the top sits here gives it the look of being very wide, however the wheel arch comes out alot as you know -

i gave it a little bend so it would make it appear more slim line - which it does !!

box2.JPG

box3.JPG

box4.JPG

box5.JPG

box6.JPG

Ive used 18mm mdf and 12mm - the base and lid are 12mm and the rest is 18mm - very strong ridgid build !!

still needs more sanding yet etc

Overall weight of the box = 6.35kg

Volume = 26.74L (going to give good sound with a 10" )

Box depth from the wheel arch to edge of box = 9.2" (how much boot you loose)

when its gets carpeted to match the boot will also make it seem even smaller - thats the theory anyway lol

Looking very good! I think I could live with an extra 10-12kg (inc sub itself) - could easily loose 12kg from around my middle instead :eek:

So, you thinking about selling these as kits then? I'm very tempted to try and knock one up myself too because yours looks so good and doesn't eat into too much boot space. What's your plans for placing the amp on this? Is there enough space on the back surface of it so the amp would be hidden too? (or would this cause cooling problems?).

If you're willing to divulge the dimensions/sizes so I could try and knock up one of my own please PM them to me mate!

172 cup TT
looking good mate... but can i ask why youve kept the 6x9's too? i find they have a detrimental effect on each other

E87 118i
looks exactly what I did about a year go, will post pics but my host is down at the moment.....

Hey mattT yea that was my car :) had just cleaned it that night :)

Regarding the sub, just drawn everything up on autocad now so i can print out the templates for future builds,

going to try and carpet it now.

the 6x9's i would have to say that a good set of rear speakers in the rear door pods would be alot lot better than half ok set of 6x9's

mine are set up amazing at the moment, but im thinking of getting some audio planet door ones for front and rear and loosing them,

Unfortunatly the amp could not fit behind the sub box i have made (possibly a very small one may), it would however fit on the top quite nice. takes away the stealth look i supose, the clio wheel arch sticks out alot more than i first thought !!

will post some more pics of the work later on :)

Ok these pictures are quite bad, had to put the drive way lights on but you get the picture. will take some more in the morning.

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

I could have got the carpeting a little smoother if i was using a propper SHARP craft knife (christmas list)

and also a nice clean bench, did this in ma bedroom cos its bloooody freezing outside.

also weighs in at just under 6kg (weighed it before with the circular hole in)

loosing 9" of boot

house3.jpg

carpet1.jpg

carpet2.jpg

carpet3.jpg

carpet4.jpg

please excuse my oiled stain boot, this is a good match, just my boot floor is quite dirty !!

better pics in the morning :)

Depending on what i can get the MDF and carpet for if i buy in bulk etc, could probably be nocking these boxes out for people at £50 to £60

this is just a prototype - i belive with woding the sound is even better !!

RS Megane DCi 175
Kinsella - I had a look at my setup and the one thing that would bother me about your setup would be the side of the boot its on - it kind of blocks the light somewhat! Wouldn't be a major deal to tweak the box to fit the other side though! What do you think?

hey MattT i know what you mean about the light, howeveer it still gives good light in the dark belive it or not!!, i made the box so the top fits under the light.

I will get round to making one for the other side (wheel arches are totally different each side, not a case of invertirtng my drawings unfortunatly) i made it that side so that it would be opposite the driver - but you have a very valid point !

Nice job! That looks very professional to me - I'd possibly be interested although I'd have to factor in the cost of a sub/amp/grill too... :(

I'm still tempted to try something slightly different myself: I don't have any speakers in the parcel shelf, therefore I'm thinking a slimmer but taller box might be an idea. This would take up even less floor space for the same volume of box, as the height could be increased so that it stops just under the height of the parcel shelf. It'd have to go on the driver's side of the boot though because of the light.

I don't know anything about how the internal shape of a box affects SQ - anyone know if a thinner, taller box would produce a decent sound?

A4 Avant
That looks very tidy! Lookin forward to seein it finished with sub in and boot cleaned! You could add another interior light into the side of the sub box!

Another interior light is a good idea, would give it the factory feel too.

I thought about a taller box but i made it so it did not affect the interior light, PLUS the higher you go the less space you have, as the cars curveture is coming inwards as you go higher, its widest is at the bottom, the other wheel arch (drivers side sticks out alittle more)

few day pictures:
Going to be looking into factory looking lights on it and also a way to fix it - possibly the connectors too.

carpet5.jpg

carpet6.jpg

carpet7.jpg

carpet8.jpg

carpet9.jpg

carpet10.jpg

To make it the smallest thing ever i would have to take a copy of the wheel arch shape, then make a mold, then fibre glass it, this way it can fit snug and use the space, probably use about 4" of boot from the wheel arch, however it would be ££££ and to cover it you wwould have to flock it, no way you could carpet such a complex shape.

my stelth shelf is going, going to get another shelf in the same gray colour - looks stupid black

Nice job! That looks very professional to me - I'd possibly be interested although I'd have to factor in the cost of a sub/amp/grill too... :(

I'm still tempted to try something slightly different myself: I don't have any speakers in the parcel shelf, therefore I'm thinking a slimmer but taller box might be an idea. This would take up even less floor space for the same volume of box, as the height could be increased so that it stops just under the height of the parcel shelf. It'd have to go on the driver's side of the boot though because of the light.

I don't know anything about how the internal shape of a box affects SQ - anyone know if a thinner, taller box would produce a decent sound?

Been having a little think about this Ally.

I fogot about the one big reason about the depth of the box, the minimum depth it can be is the depth of the speaker, ive been loking at a few 10" sub woofer depths and there anywhere between 8" and 10" - the sub woofer will work best (basing this on info i have been told) if the bottom of the magnet is about an inch away from the base of the box, any less and it distorts - i went for the optimum depth of 9" lol

The only way you can get it slimmer is to move the woofer further back so it sits in the gap where the wheel arch curves around, going to need fibre glass, doing this with mdf would be quite heavy and alot of filler.

Regardig thinner material im sure the whole box could be made with the 12mm MDF - need to use thinner screws and the holes would have to be super acurate (6mm into it) so the mdf does not split, or use some blocks of wood on the corners (weight again)

its a shame the clio boot is as it is, ive been looking at the MG ZR and you can prety much get a sub box under the plastic runner for the shelf !!

Just a few more pics, going to be making these for £60 is anyone intrested, please look in the forsale section :)

clioboxadvert1.jpg

RS Megane DCi 175
Have to say that looks very neat and professional mate - good work! :approve: