ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a joke

With my new found interest in Clios, i was speaking to someone last night with a phase 2 16v clio....I have driven a few of these and they are quite quick, and he said his has been modded. The list is as follows:

Induction kit (K+N - I think)
Magnex exhaust (Cat back i think, definatley not 4 into 1)
Superchip

He has had the car rolled at 145 with exhaust only and he says the chip, induction kit and a healthy gut full of Optimax has taken him to 180 bhp ????

Is this a joke or are these the most easily tunable engines out ???

Oh arse, ok valver, mk1 phase 2.....

Ok, they aint THAT tunable, exhaust, chip, induction (Closed sealed type) will get him to probably 145-148 ish, no way 180 LMAO, otherwise Id buy one of them instead of my williams lol

To get big power youve gotta do major internals work to make it sing at high revs.... some of the other lads will give info on what could be done Im sure.

Yes it is a 1.8 16v L reg i think....

I would expect the 172 to be 180 from those mods, maybe more, but when you are starting @ 135 ??? - dreamer me thinks

sounds like hes been readin a little too much Max Power. All those scantily clad women have warped his sense of reality im afraid.

Has he also got neon washer jets? They give extra BHP as does Momo gear changer and steering wheel.

I might give him a race in the VTR then, as 180 bhp in one of those should be quicker than a 172, which means he should batter me, but if he doesnt leave me for dead i think that will be proof enough that he is full of s***e

A standard valver will kill a VTR anyway unless it is supercharged of course ! A VTR is only just under 10 secs 0-60 whereas a Clio 16v is around 7.7 secs 0-60 as standard ?

I agree with the on paper stats, in reality i can keep with the majority of minimal moded clios up to 90 (3rd) my car is standard - however I assume they havent been looked after and may not be reaching power, or some other probs - but I dont have problems pulling on a 19 16v......

P.S - I am not the sort of dreamer that tells tall stories, sometimes i have a bit of luck and do the impossible sometimes i am caught out and look silly......but there is no point in bulls***ing people...

BMW 320d Sport

Now come on lads, YR52GNZ (catchy name BTW) has come clean and hes not saying he *always* beats valvers or anything, just that occasionally hes got lucky and maybe hes been racing sh*t drivers/cars etc.Thats fair enough Id say. VTRs are slow but not as slow as theyd seem on paper. However, all things being equal, a standard valver would absolutely hammer a VTR in every way. A VTS would be a different story.

Thing about the valver is that if youre not used to how it drives you could very easily change up short and never really get into the meat of the powerband. Some young lad going from a newish, small-engine car onto a valver would maybe not realise that they are supposed to wring it out at 6500 revs in order to make any progress. Lets be honest, the sound of a valver screaming along at the top of the revs is not the most comforting thing in the world!

To get back to the original thing though, there is no way on earth that a valver would knock out 180 bhp with those mods. You would be talking about internal engine work for that sort of power, and were not just talking about a pair of fast road cams either. Realistically, a healthy valver engine with zorst, chip and filter might make 145 bhp, I couldnt even in all honesty say 150! The open induction kit hardly makes any difference at all, and if anything could result in power losses. Unlike many cars, then and now, the valvers air box is actually a great design and cant really be improved on in the tiny space thats available. Certainly slapping on an induction cone directly behind the radiator and above the gearbox and coolant pipes is not exactly the best spot if you want cold air! Mr 180bhp is talking b****cks.