ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this illegal

With the freedom now presented by insurance companies to perform engine conversions, body kits etc without the need for decleration how far can you go without breaking the law ??

Lets say i have my standard RT and a 16V sitting in my gaurage at home. For a cheaper insurance policy i am insured on the RT, but i want my RT to look, handle and perform like the 16V so i start ripping bits off and sticking them onto the RT. At the end i have an "RT" that is 99% 16V and 1% RT, and a "16V that is made of RT bits. The insurance company says any mods i want so why not take that statement to the limit ?

Instead of taking the cars apart and putting them back together wouldnt it be easier to change the VIN plates, shassy numbers and registration plates and documents ??, I know changing the last bits is illigal but essentially its the same as taking all the stuff off one car and putting it on another

Quote: Originally posted by daveRT on 27 May 2003

With the freedom now presented by insurance companies to perform engine conversions, body kits etc without the need for decleration how far can you go without breaking the law ??
tell me when this happened cuz as far as i was aware you have to tell them everything :confused:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

would cost less to just pay the insurance for a 16v wouldnt it? will cost quite a bit to buy a 16v as well as ur RT then convert all the bits. a few grand. surely 16v insurance aint that much.

320d M Sport

Not declaring mods isnt technically illegal, however VOIDING your insurance and then the Insurer cancelling your policy will leave you without Insurance, which is illegal!

I Think youll find the part about swapping VIN etc is highly dodgy, if you were to swap the engine + box etc to your RT chances are theyd rate it as a valver anyway so you may as well just buy the car and do it all above board. I can virtually guarantee you it wont make it any cheaper doing what youre thinking!

My insurance company said that i can perform any engine mods, body work, lowering etc without raising the cost of my insurance. As long as i take photos of the work done i can do anything i want.

I wanted to put a valver engine in but then i thought why not just by a valver. I would but then i would have to insure it a group 12 car, very expensive for an 18 yr old.

Theoretically, It would be possible for me to buy both cars and swap the bits without breaking the law. So i was thinking i could take a short cut and buy a valver and call it an rt using the documents of a written of RT.

Actually, the more i think about it while typing the more dodgy it seens. I will just have to stick to looking for a 2.0 nova turbo

engine mods (your words) not engine swap, even if they have said all this to you which i find highly unlikely then an engine swap is more than a mod

Some companies do not charge extra, or only a small amount (10% I think I read?) for any engine conversion. Example, 1.4 8v RT lump to a 1.4 GTT Engine.. would not make that much difference.

Direct (white) line!! or maybe Church Pill, or even AA (Alcholics Anon)....

......Keep taking what ever your on DaveRT.

its with liverpool victoria who when they said "you can do any mods you want"

A supprised me said "what even a 2.0 engine conversion"

They said " yes, as long as you photograph the evidence and keep all the reciepts.

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

Hell, why not stick a nitrousd V6 in there whilst yer at it, its OK, your insurance wont go up.

Except when you wrap it, my premium probably will.

t**ser :mad:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

yeah i think they meant u can mod it as much as u want but ull still have to pay. Ive had a quote from them and they do charge extra for mods - but then again - who the fuk am i!!!

L

liam

batesyboy, have you got anger management issues? :mad: The lad was only enquiring!!! give him a break!

Ive heard that liv/vic have some policy about you can modify your car and a 10% of your orginal premium will be added! I believe it is 10% extra for engine mods and 10% for any body mods! A friend of mine has converted a 106 1.0 to a 106 gti and liv/vic have charged him 10% extra!

I dont know the ins and outs but ive heard similar storys! even thought they do sound somewhat unrealistic only charging 10% extra for any mods?????

L

liam

lol no probs mate! I was just scrolling down and everytime I saw your name you were proper going psycho! LOL just a bad day i guess! ;)

batesyboy id never normally sl*g someone off, and you have sort of apologised, but

who the Fu#K are you

I was only askin cus i thought that what the woman at the insurance company said might of been wrong and i didnt want to go slamming loads of stuff on my car only to find out i have to pay loads extra.

Nobody forced you to read the post and waste your time replying FOUR fukin times.

If anybodys a to$$er its you !!

My handbags red mate, And its got a big brick in it so watch out.

I dont really care, i think its alrite to give abuse as long as your willing to take it back

Quote: Originally posted by daveRT on 27 May 2003

My handbags red mate, And its got a big brick in it so watch out.

I dont really care, i think its alrite to give abuse as long as your willing to take it back
woah there, i wasnt making a dig i was TRYING to make ligh of the situation, its all gone out of control, i gave you an honest and insult fee opinion about it

k, just the hostility flying beforehand ,makes it hard to tell i normally ;) if im joking so that people dont get in a stress, sarcasm or subtle jokes only work when you have tone of voice to tell the intent of the statement

I havent actually got a 16V it was a theoretical question. Ok, a final question.

When does your car stop becoming what is says on the registration ?

Once youve changed the engine, wheels, bodywork, interior and colour is that still the same car that you started with ?

i think the answer would probably lie with the bodyshell of the car, you can modify everything but as long as its the same shell its the same car, but in terms of insurance etc thats something they would have to answer

Finally after all that abuse i get the answer i was looking for, cheers. But one final question,

Would it be possible to tell the 16V shell and the RT shell apart if it werent for the Vin plates and engine bay layouts ?

Same shell different !/4 panels wings and bonnet to my knowledge, but im sure benr will tell you for sure probably another differnce that i dont know of that means the shells are totally different

ok, if wings and bonnets are removable, cus ive seen them on RT shells. once all of the removable parts have been taken off is their a difference ?

I read somewhere (it was in a Ford mag) about what actually makes your car a Q-Plate...

It gave a list of about 6 things all with points next to them, and as long as your car didnt exceed a set number of points your car would not be put on a Q-Plate. Some of the things included Engine (has quite a few points), steering mechanism (dunno why!) suspesion and some other random things...

Im off to my mates house tommorow where I saw the mag, Ill see if he still has it.

The relevance to all this? I think your car is still what it says on the log book until you reach the limit and it becomes a Q-Plater (i.e a kit car)

My tip if your doing silly things to a car is get a traders policy, do why you want as long as you agree it. For me and my mate its £4200ish, TPFT, we can own as many cars as we want, and drive any car TP only. It might sound like a lot, but his scooby is £2200 to insure, and I want a Cosworth (which I estimate to be 2000ish) so between us we have covered the cost. Then I can keep the clio, the 5 turbo (and do the conversion!) plus have any other random car I fancy on top. Oh and it covers the business too (van and public liability covered...), so all in all is a good deal....

Only downside is we get paid out trade prices, if we claim. Just got to make sure cars dont get nicked...

Tim

You have to be involved in the motor trade really. A lot of people just say they buy and sell to apply for one, but companies are getting wise to this and are asking to see logbooks etc.....

So just say your something like a mobile valeters, there is a stipulation in the policy Ive looked at that I cannot "buy and sell", which I suppose means they wont be wanting me to send log books in all the time... I can pretend that all the modified cars are demo cars for our service.... Best company to try is Tradex.

Tim