ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Windows 8 utter crap?

Evo 5 RS
It's not just aimed at mobile devices.

But anyway, it is useless. Unless you want to physically sit there and adjust for absoloutely no reason what so ever. But that's your prerogative. If on a touch screen device then fair enough, the UI is a nice addition.

They're slashing prices on it already. Even though you can pick up a retail copy of Pro for £40 as it is.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lol at 'its useless'. To me, that translates to 'I cant be arsed to learn a few basic changes'. I do everything on Windows 8 just as fast as I did in 7. Its just windows key + start typing first few letters of app name + enter. In fact, its the same number of steps as 7 and exactly the same process, just displayed better! I have a touch screen computer (HP-TX2), and the ability to switch between tablet and desktop modes is brilliant imo and is definitely the way forward. the lack of UI in 7 was having a negative effect on the development of touch screen computers imo and 8 has now kick started it again.

lol at outlook express comment. Use a real mail client!

Polo + Micra
lol at 'its useless'. To me, that translates to 'I cant be arsed to learn a few basic changes'. I do everything on Windows 8 just as fast as I did in 7. Its just windows key + start typing first few letters of app name + enter. In fact, its the same number of steps as 7 and exactly the same process, just displayed better! I have a touch screen computer (HP-TX2), and the ability to switch between tablet and desktop modes is brilliant imo and is definitely the way forward. the lack of UI in 7 was having a negative effect on the development of touch screen computers imo and 8 has now kick started it again.

like what ? one thats free and doesn't look like an explosion in a crayola factory

Evo 5 RS

It translates as " I don't have a touch screen device", arse. Funnily enough you do though, look at that! : D. It has no purpose or benifit other than to cater to people with all in one solutions such as yours or tablets. Any other f*cker who wants to use it as a proper computer has absoloutely no reason to upgrade to it at all.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
But the definition of a 'proper' computer is changing. If things didn't develop, we would still be using 8-tracks! IMO touch screen UI development is much better than some of the other things being developed today, such as 3D interfaces! It will help lead to the development of computers seem in the likes of the avengers.

Evo 5 RS
But the definition of a 'proper' computer is changing.

Lol, not really. Your definition of a proper computer is basically what Apple have had perfected for a fair while now.

A proper computer is something that is not propriatary, mediocre and barely within the specification of its requirement like your all in one HP. A proper computer is something much better than that. Maybe not necessary but better all the same. Touch screen UI aren't anything new. They would of been far better off naming it under a new or different IP. If you think moving your limbs more to do the same thing is intuitive.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
But the definition of a 'proper' computer is changing. If things didn't develop, we would still be using 8-tracks! IMO touch screen UI development is much better than some of the other things being developed today, such as 3D interfaces! It will help lead to the development of computers seem in the likes of the avengers.

True. As much as I prefer the previous incarnation, I don't think Microsoft had much of a choice in not going ahead with Windows 8 and it's touch-screen bias. Everything is heading that way.

I think one aspect that is bugging Scone is the impact the likes of Win8 has on gaming. ANYTHING other than perhaps Angry Birds is just utter horse-shat with touch-screen. It's an awful input device - I can just about cope with keyboards on the likes of iPads - let alone anything else that requires quick reactions! :) Anything that hampers or interrupts what was previously a smooth process is just difficult to adopt to. And the fact that MSoft provided so many keyboard shortcuts and workarounds from Win8's fluffyness - shows that they were more than aware of the backlash they were expecting to receive.

It's a tough call for Microsoft. They have to move forward, yet they've just gained peoples' support with how good Windows 7 after the Vista abortion that preceded it. They couldn't upset the apple cart too much.

D.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
been using this on my ultrabook now for 2 weeks...

MUCH quicker than 7!

Usb 3 transfer rates are much higher!

Metro is growing on me too...

Hated it to begin with, wanted to go back... but now...i quite like it!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just using it on one of directors' new tablet/laptop hybrids that arrived this morning.

For doing non-fluffy stuff, good God its a feckin PITA to use! You simply forget and don't take into account working in IT just how many shortcuts and things you do without thinking. Windows 8 stops you in your tracks. It's definitely taken me more than double the time to set this thing up over Windows 7. Silly, additional 'layers' to the interface that really don't need to be there - other than looking 'good' - and I use that term loosely.

Will get better with use, but certainly not a fan of it in the workplace.

D.

S3, Polo
Aside from the removal of the START button and the introduction of Metro, specifically what's changed Darren?

(All of the menus that were in the START menu have been relocated to use any of the commands I listed in one of my previous posts).

I only see Metro when I start up and it has two tiles on it - One for Outlook, the other for Desktop...

Once past this step, it's nine tenths *exactly* the same. The remaining tenth is accessible from the start bar (roll over the top-right or bottom right of your screen) - Admittedly, not an obvious location, but just requires a simple adaption to your work-flow.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Aside from the removal of the START button and the introduction of Metro, specifically what's changed Darren?

(All of the menus that were in the START menu have been relocated to use any of the commands I listed in one of my previous posts).

I only see Metro when I start up and it has two tiles on it - One for Outlook, the other for Desktop...

Once past this step, it's nine tenths *exactly* the same. The remaining tenth is accessible from the start bar (roll over the top-right or bottom right of your screen) - Admittedly, not an obvious location, but just requires a simple adaption to your work-flow.

+1, I would be interested to understand what shortcuts you feel have been removed.

That's the thing - they haven't been removed, just moved. Granted, I accept that they have to make progress forward, but for the reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread, Microsoft have had to create a Windows 7.5 rather than a balls-out change to a genuine replacement O/S.

I had a £1.6k slick and sleek sat hybrid tablet in front of me this morning and I even looked for the Windows 7 drivers for it as I was on the verge of reformatting it ;). I felt like there was no consistency with the inputs. One minute I was using the nipple in the middle of the keyboard as that was easier, then had to use my grubby maulers to drag the menu in from the right as it was 50/50 is the stylus worked (but when it did work, it was awesome, btw). Other times, the touchscreen made it easier to use, then on others, I flipped up the keyboard as that was easier. Crazy. The shotgun approach to working quickly with it just adds to the frustration. I don't think I've EVER used the Search function within an O/S so much! :)

I'm very much against bastardising Windows 8 to have the look and feel of Windows 7 as there's no point. And I also appreciate that my moans and whinges will have zero affect - just in the same way that some hardcore Win98 users will have been throwing their toys out, back in '01 regarding WinXP. Windows 8 is here to stay, but I'll be skipping it and holding out for a true replacement - or (more likely) carrying on with Win7 until the bitter end.

D.

Yaris Hybrid
Still don't get the negativity in this thread.

Metro is garbage for non-touch screen use but as I have already said, Classic Shell solves that problem. I haven't even seen Metro since a week after launch!

Not only is it far faster than Win 7 on boot up but I am a gamer too and have noticed absolutely no degradation in performance in any of my games or benchmarks.

Indeed all the benchmarks I saw online only showed negligible performance variations versus Win 7 with some being a fraction better and some being a fraction worse but so small as to make no difference.

But hey I don't care what online Benchmarks show anyway. My runs sweet as a nut.

I am keen to see where the future of desktop OS's go though with regards to the Start menu.

I work for Microsoft and was involved in supporting Windows 8 a year before release. You would not believe what goes into trying to put out an operating system that meets a specific goal and also keeps the current install base running with simple upgrade paths. I really do understand some of the frustrations people report, I don't necessarily agree with them all but it's really not black and white when it comes to releasing this stuff.

What would you like from a true replacement? An OSX/iOS type release?

Ph2 172
It will be interesting to see how business receives it. Certainly the company I work for (large multinational) didn't even entertain Windows Vista (wise move!) and is only now starting to use Windows 7 - and I think that's only because MS is switching off support for XP. The problem we see is that applications we use just don't support Windows 7!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Its not great imo, ok for home users on a tablet but useless for a business in general. I would use it if it came with a new tablet, but I wouldn't buy a tablet as I cant see a need for it over a laptop, each to their own really. I use tablets at work but it seems as though people buy them for the wrong reasons, im failing to see an actual advantage apart from it being more mobile & lighter.

I use my PC at home for gaming, Windows 8 would just be horrible to replace my Windows 7 install, I see no reason for upgrading at all, god knows what the next OS will look like, lets hope there is a desktop option at least.

Last edited:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
been using this on my ultrabook now for 2 weeks...

MUCH quicker than 7!

Usb 3 transfer rates are much higher!

Metro is growing on me too...

Hated it to begin with, wanted to go back... but now...i quite like it!

Sorry to go all nerd but 8 actually benchmarks slower than 7, not surprising imo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I work for Microsoft and was involved in supporting Windows 8 a year before release. You would not believe what goes into trying to put out an operating system that meets a specific goal and also keeps the current install base running with simple upgrade paths. I really do understand some of the frustrations people report, I don't necessarily agree with them all but it's really not black and white when it comes to releasing this stuff.

What would you like from a true replacement? An OSX/iOS type release?

Lol - probably as easy as calculating the mean of Life, the Universe and everything. ;)

Not something I'd be envious of doing.

D.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Windows 8 works great for my HTPC, makes navigating round with a remote control easy, launching XBMC is much easier just using the same remote I use for the TV, PVR, Xbox and surround sound. Before I'd have to get the wireless keyboard/mouse out. Haven't put Win8 on my laptop though, as others have said, works best on tablets.

The problem we see is that applications we use just don't support Windows 7!
What problems are they having? The application compatibility toolkit will allow you to shim a lot of apps to have them work on Windows 7. There's also basic compatibility features available on the properties of the shortcut.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got it installed on one of my laptops to try and get used to it as i know in the future im going to have to when they start trying to push you away from it as they did with Win XP with no new versions of IE etc. but i just cannot get on with it.

and i cant see the company i work for changing to it either as most of our staff are complete computer illiterate and this would push them over the edge as they need to use the computers daily!!

My day to day role I rarely go into the start screen, pretty much the same as when I was running Windows 7 and the start menu. I have the following pinned to the taskbar:

Outlook
Lync
Visual Studio
Case Management tool
IE
Snipping Tool
Windows Debugger
PowerShell
KB

Those make up the majority of my working day, so I just sit in the desktop 99% of time if I need to run something up (Notepad for example) its Windows Key, type note, hit enter. Exactly the same shortcut as I used to use.

I would like to hear some examples where you constantly need to flick to the start screen (assuming you've pinned the commonly used applications).

Fiesta ST
My day to day role I rarely go into the start screen, pretty much the same as when I was running Windows 7 and the start menu. I have the following pinned to the taskbar:

Outlook
Lync
Visual Studio
Case Management tool
IE
Snipping Tool
Windows Debugger
PowerShell
KB

Those make up the majority of my working day, so I just sit in the desktop 99% of time if I need to run something up (Notepad for example) its Windows Key, type note, hit enter. Exactly the same shortcut as I used to use.

I would like to hear some examples where you constantly need to flick to the start screen (assuming you've pinned the commonly used applications).

Exactly the same, most used is pinned to the Taskbar, right click bottom left corner for admin/control panel etc. Right click "File Explorer" icon and pin folders here, so simple. And if I do use the start menu it's arranged so it's still only 2 clicks of a mouse.

8427137468_b8f710c92f_b.jpg

Plus if i want to access servers etc just type in \\servername on the start screen and you'll connect.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly the same, most used is pinned to the Taskbar, right click bottom left corner for admin/control panel etc. Right click "File Explorer" icon and pin folders here, so simple. And if I do use the start menu it's arranged so it's still only 2 clicks of a mouse.

Plus if i want to access servers etc just type in \\servername on the start screen and you'll connect.

Really? Not tried that - I'll have to give it a go!

D.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Mate bought this on the £24.99 deal... done a system check said everything was okay. He paid, clicked install. Halfway through says 'Sorry Windows 8 cannot be installed on this system' and it cancelled itself without any explanation! Tried again, same thing. His computer is only 2 years old btw. Now trying to get a refund from Microsoft.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've got Windows 8 sussed. We're only going to give it to people at the office that we don't like....

Anyone else had the "I'll wait approx 60secs before the pull in menu from the right shows Control Panel as an admin user" yet? Log straight in, pull the side menu in and it's not there. Wait..... wait a little more and then reslide. Bingo - Control Panel is there in the menu.

Contains more horse than a certain lasagne.....

D.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
^ Surely that's an issue with the delivery method, rather than the OS?

Not sure... I've had another mate buy it for 2 computers. It went on his laptop without an issue, but his home computer wouldn't accept it! And this guy's a bit of a geek, top spec everything.