ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB on a daily driver's car?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Since owning the car I always said that the only major mod to the engine that I'd do would be throttle bodies. I think they just suit the car better than going the force induction route plus the mad sound etc.
What I'm not sure is whether they will still allow the car to pass MOT if you keep the cat in place. And if the job is done properly will you still end up with warning lights on the dash and so on.
Basically I want to have nice fun and legal road legal that I could enjoy on some occasional track days - only few a year.
So what's your thought?
Cheers!

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Although ITBs sound awesome, if you’re keeping the rest of the engine standard you won’t see any significant gain in power really. Maybe a small improvement but for the cost it’s questionable whether it’s worth it.
If it’s a 172 then changing to the 182 manifold will help.
And if you can stretch to decent standalone ECU you should be able to get it mapped nicely and keep your emissions good for the MOT but this may also be at the expense of power and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Although ITBs sound awesome, if you’re keeping the rest of the engine standard you won’t see any significant gain in power really. Maybe a small improvement but for the cost it’s questionable whether it’s worth it.
And if you can stretch to decent standalone ECU you should be able to get it mapped nicely and keep your emissions good for the MOT but this may also be at the expense of power and torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it's a 182 already. I would definitely run a stand alone ecu and at some point maybe cams like 421's but nothing extreme. Power figures are not that important to me, if I'd get closer to the 200bhp mark it would be enough. It's the usability and reliability that concerns me the most.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Ive never had any problems with the ktr/jenvey throttle bodies. They just need a service every now and again. Must admit mine is a fair weather weekend driver but I’ve had them over 6 years now run on gen90 ecu. You should get good results with them and groupe N timing. That’s with standalone ecu and mapping.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
guessing you mean exhaust mani and not inlet?
agree with what you're saying if the OP is using it as a daily then the 182 mani offers more power and torque mid-range where you're are more likely to use it on the day to day.