ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB's, Turbo'd or SC'd?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Im not convinced on that torque comment TBH, I used to think the same, but im starting to think the boxes are even worse at handling revs. Its common for ITB cars to kill the box and I used to think it was cause of the small torque increase, but I now think maybe its due to the increased use of high RPM on ITB cars.

My mk1 has naff all torque (like about 130lbft or something) and yet I get through loads of boxes (early ones and also 172 ones) on track at 7800rpm a lot, where as Jack from MWM has almost exactly double that torque, but tends not to rev his over 7K (no need even on track due to the monster midrange torque) and hasnt killed a box yet.
remapped the car has 7500 rev limit now and even with itb's I wouldn't go over that, as I probably won't bother changing internals just for couple hundred revs.
anyway it seems the OP got his answer: for track use at least go for bodies

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
£15k-£20k?! You could get one hell of a Caterham or Westfield for that. Bonkers.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
and for £180k you could get 9 of those but I'd still get a 458 :); there are always better value/money options
I think the man likes the clio if he's willing to put 15k in it

BG DCI
Have had a read through this and yes, some of the comments in here are a little pointless.

Coming from someone who has no experience of track days but a lot of experience from spending pointless money on more power I can see all sides of the argument.

I just think it all depends on what YOU want. Pointless asking for advice when its your money. All options will give you more power, some more than others. All cost a lot of money.

Agree with them handling / stopping / tuition points, but if he wants more power then these are kind of irrelevant!

He already has track day experience, and I personally with no track day experience wouldn't want to spend a lot on track day tuition unless I'm going to do it a lot!

I think decide what you want..

Decide if you want to build all at once or work your way along the tuning timeline with all mods..

Then slowly take it on track and eventually find what you would prefer for power delivery.

Liam.

Tuned Power delivery

I know theres lots of threads on bodies vs superchargers vs turbos etc and people have alot of different reasons for either choice. Normally its thought of that bodies work best on track etc but how does the power delivery of the bodies compare to a supercharger?

i.e from research i see that roughly your looking at 220bhp for bodies and 250 for charger but what im trying to get my head around is say side by side on track would the charger win because of the extra bhp or is there more to it than that? appoligies if it seems a silly question but im baffelled as to what is actually the best option (i know buy a more powerfull car in first place is the best option but im talking in terms of tuning the clio)

SQ5
I have had some 3rd, 4th and 5th gear rolling runs with Lewis on here with 214bhp on itb and I have 250~ with a supercharger and pulling away mid revs I pulled away so much quicker.

Itbs tend to be power up top where as supercharger is through the whole rev range!

Sorry yeah should have said with cams.

So the 30bhp extra is more noticeable, I guess it would easy to see it on dyno graphs as per what power at what revs is delivered. But tbh that's the answer I was expecting which is why I'm confused as why people say bodies for track?

Yeah but if the charger delivers it smoothly over thd entire rev range How do bodies compare as I was under the impression that being n/a it'll be delivered in a similar way or does individual mapping etc have different effects. I'm really tempted by the bodies im just trying to justify them to myself but the supercharger option is still in the back of my mind also lol

SQ5
The supercharger does act like an N/A car, power is progressive but power graph is more of a straight line where as the N/A one would be more of an upward curve!

Turbo LY R27
Charger ftw, as it's been said it still feels na, but more power like a v8, loads of grunt. The best way for more power and not loose any of the 'Clio feel'. Charger vs turbo, that's personal preference IMO on how u want the power delivered. On track the charger works great!