ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've broken my computerz0rz!!!1! Need help!

Ian

Focus TDCi
This is the best tech advice I have ever witnessed! Oh and possibly the most epic overuse of the letter z also. :)

Harddrives have a habit of failing, usually at times when it's paramount that they don't. Whack a new one in and try and get the information off the old one to put on the new one.. they usually let you have a few tries before they completely fail. If all else fails stick it in the freezer for a bit, partly urban myth and partly true I believe.

Scutch said:
Hmm, sounds to me like the hard disc isn't being detected.

Hope this is of some help.

Lol! So concise!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yes. That's a plan. Stick it in the freezer, then defrost for 4 hours. While this is taking place, chop and dice 4 carrots, and prepare the seasoning for the ready made mash. Pop them all in the oven for 45 minutes and you'll have yourself a rather scrumptuous 'Hard drive vegetable crumble'

Delicious with a side salad. So good I put my name on it.

Ergh had to dig out the geeky websites full of internet fact: link. The rest sounds tasty though. :) (The page it links to at the start of the article is probably of more use than sticking it in the freezer tbh)

Barge
LOL. LOL. LOL. It's so funny, innit!

I haz teh broke computezors. But it'll be reet when I figure it out. Got an external one off some geek in pc world, be reet.

The hard drive crumble sounds nice though!

Barge
Nah, I left it to my papa to try and fix and he broke it even more! LOL. I did tell him about the freezer thing. But I didn't want to f*ck it anymore than it is, as I've got loads of music/pics on it that I really want. i think he's going to get someone to come and save the stuff off it onto the external hard drive I got and then fix the PC. Pfffft.

I think I know how to fix it. Pics of you bending over in the PC showing me the hard drive type? Then I can be sure.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I dont think he asked you to climb inside, in fairness. Just of you bending over. I think Roy is contemplating converting his floppy to a hard.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
having read this thread i would suggest buying a new pc. if it failed it will fail again. we live in such a disposable country you have no other choice but to buy a new one. hai Roy.

Barge
Apparently our HD has special connections which only fit onto the particular type of mother board we have or something like that, wooo techy, so that's why we can't put it in an old PC and get all my good stuff. Computer fail!

DCi
get new hard drive on warranty. plug in dodge hard drive into computer when you have the new one to try and move data over. done.

Barge
True. Although now, since he started tinkering with it, it's fecked entirely and won't even turn on! Bad times!

Apparently our HD has special connections which only fit onto the particular type of mother board we have or something like that, wooo techy, so that's why we can't put it in an old PC and get all my good stuff. Computer fail!

Magic pixie plugs? If it's a SATA interface, it should be fine to connect into any reasonably modern PC. If it's IDE then all mobos AFAIK also have an IDE interface. Certainly all old ones will have.

Barge
Magic pixie plugs? If it's a SATA interface, it should be fine to connect into any reasonably modern PC. If it's IDE then all mobos AFAIK also have an IDE interface. Certainly all old ones will have.

That SATA rings a bell. The rest confuses me.

But fanks Roy :eek:

Barge
SP to he rescue tbh, we've got a new hard drive as suggested and I'm going to save...

Meh, cba, you all know what I'm going to do with teh external drivez0rz etc.