ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've broken my computerz0rz!!!1! Need help!

Barge
Hi guys,

I've managed to break the PC this morning, well I'll blame myself for now.

Anyway, it wouldn't start Windows Vista because it "cannot detect the hard drive". Anyway after some fidding it asked to reboot it - so I put the Vista disk in, it went to a reinstall screen but would only let me select a total reinstallation - wiping settings, documents etc. So I chose not to do that. When I cancelled it, it said "system repair" so I chose that and up popped a screen which searched... it didn't bring anything up so I clicked next... Now I've got a 'System Recovery Options' screen up... and I not sure what to choose :eek::(

Neeeeeeed help!!!! Any one got any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Audi S1
If you put a windows disk in, that will do loads of things, reload windows, format HD.

IF you havent actually done nothing yet... Turn it off, see if it boots up.

Barge
Well it wouldn't do anything at first, then it started loading windows when I put the disk in. I've selected shut down then, and I'll turn it back on now.

Barge
No hard disc detected - flicked to another screen, which said;

Primary master drive blah blah, press f1 to resume! Pressed that... Windows loading files.

Now it has the windows vista screen up, it says: "Install Windows" - the disc is in the DVD drive. :(

Barge
Re-ran the system recovery... "Windows found problems with you computer's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?" The details say:
The following startup options will be added:
Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)
Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition=C: (305243 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as:
C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0002

:( WTF!?!?!?!

Audi S1
This is a PC right? not a laptop - isit possible someone has moved or knock it over or something sounds to me that the HD is either loose or its completely broke.

I take it you didnt want to restore it i.e. loose everything?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
if its listing details of the hdd "Windows Device: Partition=C: (305243 MB)" then the harddrive isn't going to have a loose connection or be completely broke. What happens now if you don't insert the cd and attempt to let it boot normally?

Barge
Yeah, PC is broken. I'm on the laptop atm.

Well my dad unplugged the HD and put it back in... but then he left me to it. LOL. He had it on earlier so it was working this morning, and I came on it and it froze so I restarted it and ever since it's fyecked.

Nope. Ideally, I don't want to lose what's on it.

Barge
It goes up to the F1 bit I mentioned further up, then says Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot decide and press a key.

Re-ran the system recovery... "Windows found problems with you computer's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?" The details say:
The following startup options will be added:
Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)
Path: Windows
Windows Device: Partition=C: (305243 MB)

A copy of the current boot configuration data will be saved as:
C:\Boot\BCD.Backup.0002

:( WTF!?!?!?!

Do this and i'm 99.9% sure you won't lose anything.

R26
If you have unplugged the drive then the boot priority may have got screwed up in the BIOS

Worth checking the boot settings in there

It only brings this up when I restart it with the Vista disk in though Alex?

Yup, the Vista disk will (should) repair the computerz0rz of it's aids. Then after being repaired you shouldn't need to put the disk in and it should work.

As long as it's a repair it shouldn't be deleting data. Think of it like the Vista disk being hair-straighteners which fix your hair, rather than re-installing which is like a gigantic pair of scissors.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Aren't there any horny CSers that live near you that can help?

I'd offer my services, but thankfully you live nowhere near me

Barge
Thankfully you don't Cookie!! LOL.

Hmmm. It's a pain in the arse to be fair. I'd try giving it a swift kick but I doubt it'd help.

Hardz0rz Drivez0r f*ckZ0rz.

Try pressing delete during boot to get into the BIOS to the boot priority options, as suggested. Without being there, it's hard to diagnose with the information you've given.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
hard drive is probably buggered, same shizzle happen on my laptop.

Perhaps, but at least the BIOS can see it.

There's a possibilty of recovering data from it if it's plugged in as a secondary after buying a new HDD for Windows?

Barge
Yeah, came up with:

No hard disc detected, then flicked to another screen, which said: Primary master drive - ATAPI Incompatible press f1 to resume.

DCi
something is royally f**ked with your HDD.

I would ask your dad to take it out, then go to your IT dept (or someone who knows what they are doing) and ask them to hook your HDD up to another PC so you can retrieve your data etc.

then format -> reinstall vista -> put your data back. Simples

Barge
Yup. I'm going to get an external one now, then we've got the old PC downstairs, chuck it in there take all my music and pics off then put it non the Ex HD. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hmm, sounds to me like the hard disc isn't being detected.

Hope this is of some help.