ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ive had enough.......

Ad

MK2 FRS

Right, been on the phone to the renault uk about the unsloveable 4krattle on my 172. And in the cases like mine where the standard sloutions havent cured it, there are no forseable solution as of yet......:mad:

So basically I have to put up with it as, 11months since the problem was noted on the system, there is of yet no solution.

Car in again tomorrow for the leather peeling of the gearknob, and the auto adjusting headlamp of the OS having failed again and it is pointing straight down to the road.

Do I sell the car, but anyone who drives it will notice it the rattle as it is more prominent than ever. Do I risk buying a replacement performance exhaust in the hope that it cures it.???? But that could potentially be a lot of money down the drain if it doesnt and they would jsut invalidate the warranty.

Has anyone got a replacement performence exhaust and the 4k rattle stayed????

I know one thing, Kinda sad to say, there will be no more (new) renaults for me, the customer service team are a waste of space, full of nicley speaking people who have no ability to take any action, whatsoever.

The irony is that I was torn between a williams and a 172 and went for the 172 cause it would be more reliable. What a joke, what a mistake. Wishing I was a williams owner now.

Sorry for the whinging , but cant say without loads of swearing how annoyed I am.

Adam

You can so easily turn it into a positive outcome..find yourself an exhaust right now! Is that titanium one out from k-tec, would be the baby for me!

-Rob

Ad

MK2 FRS

Good point rob, however, if it doesnt slove the problem Im back to square one. If could certain it would solve the problem then Id happily go for it.

Do a fair amount of motorway miles and it is highly irritating, since the 3rd centre section, it is no long like a buzzing wasp. but a nest full of wasp!!!!lol.

Well i can understand the frustration..but id be right on the phone to David at k-tec discussing the problem, and see if he can get someone to have a look as i doubt its the first 172 with the problem theyve seen?

At the end of the day if the rattle is coming from the exhaust then a completely new one will solve the problem? Expect the best mate.. presuming the worst outcome isnt the way to do things!

-Rob

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats what I was told about the knocking from my front suspension strut tops. After the 3rd attempt to fix it they said they would have to contact Renault UK to see if they have any more bright ideas on how to cure it. Until then Im stuck with it.

An after market exhaust wont invalidate the warrenty. I had a magex fitted a couple of weeks ago to avoid ever getting the rattle. The only thing now is I would have to take it back to an official magnex fitting centre should I get exhaust problems as Renault wont touch that.

get yourself a new exhaust and charge renault for, threaten watchdog otherwise, sure you would get loads of other owners to back you up since this is a sometimes uncurable and unacceptable problem on cars that are still under warranty. I would be ranting also, so dont once feel guilty about it. Typical renault, good ideas and design, but just not enough attension to quality. Bet you dont get bimmers, mercs, hondas etc with rattles, as they have a quality image to uphold, renault make great cars (i have had loads) but crap like this always seems to be happening, annoying

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 28 October 2003

Thats what I was told about the knocking from my front suspension strut tops. After the 3rd attempt to fix it they said they would have to contact Renault UK to see if they have any more bright ideas on how to cure it. Until then Im stuck with it.

An after market exhaust wont invalidate the warrenty. I had a magex fitted a couple of weeks ago to avoid ever getting the rattle. The only thing now is I would have to take it back to an official magnex fitting centre should I get exhaust problems as Renault wont touch that.

I know i wont ivalidate the warranty as a whole, but if a fix came out for the exhaust and i still had a rattle, they wouldnt give me the fix. Im not sure whats causing the rattle whether its the exhaust or the heat shield. If its the exhaust only then it should be solved with a new catback system.

I have had numerous problems with the car, but generally theyve been fixed, which is fine. Its the ongoing problems which are annoying.

Have chilled out a little more.

Thanks for the the suggestiions guys:D

P.s Rob, will give David a ring at K-tec tomorrow and ask him his thoughts and what he has to offer.

I had the 4k rattle. Renault replaced the centre section. 2 weeks later, 4k rattle. I thought sod it, save up for a new exhaust. did a further 6000 miles while saving for the exhaust and the rattle has gone. I have done a further 10000 miles and still no rattle. Just as well cos the I never did get round to saving for the new exhaust. Just let it bed in and the rattle will go eventually. Well thats what happened for me anyways.

Skoda Fabia vRS

take it down to K-Tec and david will have a look at it and they will be able to tell where its coming from mate

he wont just try and sell you an exhaust !

Rob I feel exactly the same way I am so frustrated with the bloody thing, mine has been in 3 times with no fix as yet if anything the new centre part of the exhaust has made it worse. My car is booked in for thursday so they can have it for 3 days to see if they can solve it, but after reading your problems I know it will be a waste of bloody time.

Time to sell it I think £9500 with sat nav and unusual nos plate co02ool

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 29 October 2003

Is it a continuous rattle when driving? Does it do it when the car is stationary?
it is rattle at 3.9k to 4.1k . It will make the noise when you rev to this range at stationary. It now seems to rattle when you ease of the power and let it drop to about 2.5k, thought this does no happen everytime.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by co2ool on 28 October 2003

Rob I feel exactly the same way I am so frustrated with the bloody thing, mine has been in 3 times with no fix as yet if anything the new centre part of the exhaust has made it worse. My car is booked in for thursday so they can have it for 3 days to see if they can solve it, but after reading your problems I know it will be a waste of bloody time.

Time to sell it I think £9500 with sat nav and unusual nos plate co02ool

Which dealership have been sorting it for you??? My dealership told me that there is a customer who has been unable to have theres sorted awell.

The worrying thing is that the 172 has gone out of production and there is no solution. Am gonna speak to my finance company to see if they can put a bit of pressure on renault.

Renault Croydon is the dealership(west croydon branch) who have been trying with no fix as yet, and my symptoms are exactly the same as yours.

please let me know if you have an joy because i do a lot of motorway driving and bang on 81-82mph there it is and gets worse if I decelerate when the buzz is there.

Good luck from a very very very frustrated 172 owner for how long I do not know!!!!!!!

Sorry d-cup no, this was renault croydons thinking theyb thought they had solved it but then when you take it for a drive hit 4k and there is the noise again.

I even had to take mechanics out on a test drive who did not believe me, and sure enough the problem is still there and all they is I do not know what to try next.

Frustrating or what

Ad

MK2 FRS

81-82mph is when its at worst agreed. Not the same dealership, however, as you say your symptoms and response from renault are identical. Have done exactley the same with arnold clark warrington, with no joy. They agree its there, had it in for 5or 6days just for this problem alone.

It has really pissed me off, its kinda come to a stop where everyone shrugs there shoulders and says that theres nothing else they can do until new parts are designed. Most of the time mines so noticable that I think I would struggle to sell the car privatley.

11months of designing and no solution???? Theyre in a real hurry to sort it??? I dont think so.

Hiya M8

Had mine in to AC in Warrington for the (exactly the same) 4k rattle on Monday and they fixed it !

Ive got a lot of welds on my pipe now, but it dont rattle any more.

I dont know what to sugest except getting a new exhaust

Stick with it

Ad

MK2 FRS

Your one of the luck majority, unfortunatley they spent another 8hrs on it and it was still there even with a new centre section. Was stressed bout it. Chilled out now. Considering going to Demon Tweeks tomorrow, though am getting tempted with the hillpower induction kit. Decisions.

They do a serious number of welds on it dont they. This times was a lot neater than last time. Got my fingers crossed for you that it dont return for you.

To be fair to AC theyve done their best, it just waiting for renault uk....

i had the wasp in a can syndrome! even renault worked out it was the centre section. after a new one was fitted ive ad no problems! and that was 8 months ago! lol!

clio sport 172

is this 4k rattle the "pinging" sound when u turn the car off?

Ive just touched 4k, but noticed this rattle 4 ages but blamed it on the zorst being new, getting hot then cooling etc.

Maybe i need to go and complain to my local reno dealer!

dannyh172, that pinging is just the exhaust cooling down.

My theory is that the quality of the 172 exhaust (centre section) is very poor. I think its a bit of a hit and miss affair if you get one without the 4k buzz. To cure my 4k buzz they fitted a new centre section, that was 6000 mikes ago and it hasnt come back. So maybe I was just lucky with a good centre section?

Chris.

you could allways turn up the stereo, and forget about it...

the more you listen for it the more you seem to notice it.

Adtmits - heatshield ????

Danny, 4k rattle is a 4k rpm not miles ;) Its a right f00king annoying buzzzzzzzzzzzz hence all the posts about it (do a search)

Ive said it before, you know if you have it !

I had similarproblem with mine mk2 172. Buzzing / rattlring at 4000rpm. Dealers in Boro cured it by - wait for it - removing the dashboard and wrapping some electricians tape round some wires that were vibrating together! Sorted it though.

Rich

I have found the source of a very annoying dash rattle that was pronounced when I revved the engine - Renault couldnt find it - It was the overhead plastic trim that holds the interior light in place - I have just pulled it down at the front slightly - now its completely quiet - I bet others are like this!

i had the 4k rattle went to renault it was centre box they said i would have to pay some towards it i told um were to go me and ma mate cut box out and welded a straight through pipe in solved it straight away.

clio 20v

at arnold clark in warr u wanna see the guy with the beard hes ok cant remember his fukin name now lol

for me its aftermarket zorsts that dont fit proper ive got a 6.5k rattle at the mo lol

adi

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by adiclio16v on 01 November 2003

at arnold clark in warr u wanna see the guy with the beard hes ok cant remember his fukin name now lol

for me its aftermarket zorsts that dont fit proper ive got a 6.5k rattle at the mo lol

adi
To be fair I aint got a problem with arnold clark, theyve probably spent over 20hrs on the car trying, its renaults attitude that gets me. Decided to got for an aftermarket, just not sure which one.

I can live with the noise around town, just makes motorways driving s**t, going to leeds tomorrow, more buzzing for me.

Have ordered hillpower inductionkit and spotlamp scoop.....cant wait:D