ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking from the front

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Evening chaps,
I have quite a narrow garage making it difficult to get down the side of the car to jack it up on the sills. The subframe clearly isn't up to the job so I'm looking for suggestions/tools/jacking equipment (cheap) which will make this easier. I did think about having something fabbed up to attach to the front subframe bolts.
Thoughts appreciated :smiley:
G
Piccy for inspiration
IMG_9891.JPG

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
My DC2 integra had a front and rear jacking point, was really handy but I never paid much attention to how it was tied into the chassis for strength. Incase you could find online some photos for inspiration?
Sure a fabrication company could make something up no problem

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I’d be interested/looking into this too.

I did actually jack mine up via the subframe using a big rubber block to take some of the stress when I drained my coolant as I have a narrow garage now.
It worked but I only jacked it up as high as needed rather than all the way up to put stands under the sills.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
When going from the front I just use the wishbone mounting point area of the subframe to each side. If it's too low just park it in the garage with front wheels on some small wooden blocks

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ive thought about a box section welded to the subframe spanning between the subframe bolts and using that to transfer the load to the chassis legs.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
When going from the front I just use the wishbone mounting point area of the subframe to each side. If it's too low just park it in the garage with front wheels on some small wooden blocks
That’s what I’ve done for now. Thing was creaking the whole way up :S
Ive thought about a box section welded to the subframe spanning between the subframe bolts and using that to transfer the load to the chassis legs.
That’s exactly what I was thinking of. Not sure how it would attach and detatch though.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Maybe something like a strut brace, so a collar either side that would act as a washer on the bolts.