ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe refurb options

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So the twingo rs subframe is looking ok apart from the front where its clearly getting the brunt of most of the rain and salt in the roads.

The car is currently on axle stands and this can't be for long. I was going to enlist some help and remove the subframe for powdercoat. But no doubt there will be an awkward bolt or issue that will take more time to get it all done.

Suggestions for treating and tidying up this subframe and other bits? Want it to last a while. Lanoguard seemed an idea but apparently an annual thing to do. That's not terrible but if there's anything better and more importantly, easier to do with it in situ?

IMG_20230416_110049.jpg
IMG_20230416_110020.jpg
IMG_20230416_110043_1.jpg
IMG_20230416_110058.jpg

Last edited:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just scotch it up with a pad and give it a quick rinse with some panel wipe. Honestly mate, it’s the easiest stuff to apply.

Sounds like a winner nice 1. And no need to treat the existing rust? Just lash it on

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sounds like a winner nice 1. And no need to treat the existing rust? Just lash it on
No, but I would personally.

To be fair I would do the following; wire wheel the absolute s**t out of it, cover it in rust converter, then paint it with Raptor.

Once it’s done you shouldn’t need to touch it again. Which is why I’d rather spend more time doing it rather than just painting it on and running the risk of it needing to be done again in 18 months time.

I did my mates Defender and 2+ years on none of it has lifted, it’s all still intact and even the jacking points aren’t chipped or scuffed up. And it’s a defender so it spends a lot of time on jacks. 😂

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I'd 100% want to have a proper look over it. I found rot in mine.

IMG-20200421-WA0012.jpeg.jpg

IMG-20200425-WA0017.jpeg.jpg

Can see the rotten cut out piece in the second pic. Tbh, the car was on a 57 plate and was reasonably clean and tidy.

I've used epoxy mastic from bilt hamber for my Campus/172 build. Corrosion resistant and won't flake like a powder coat might. I had the subframe blasted, then a coat of zinc 182 and the BH epoxy mastic.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'd 100% want to have a proper look over it. I found rot in mine.

View attachment 1639847
View attachment 1639848

Can see the rotten cut out piece in the second pic. Tbh, the car was on a 57 plate and was reasonably clean and tidy.

I've used epoxy mastic from bilt hamber for my Campus/172 build. Corrosion resistant and won't flake like a powder coat might. I had the subframe blasted, then a coat of zinc 182 and the BH epoxy mastic.

Jeez that looks a lot worse than this one. Saveable though eh?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Jeez that looks a lot worse than this one. Saveable though eh?
I did repair it but before I got to the stage of refitting, I bought another one that was in much better condition.

They're so prone to rust that if you're keeping the car, I'd look into some of the methods of protection mentioned above.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I've just took one off a 11 plate rs done 65k and it was in great shape. I was surprised going by what I had heard

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So I've bought a raptor kit and notice they say to apply an epoxy primer first?

Ive got a tin of zinc 182 isopon primer in the garage, will that do?