ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking point collapsing and side skirt

172 turbo
Has anybody's front jacking point started to bend in from constantly jacking the car over the years ? The issue is my side skirt is starting to gap and come off.

To fix this would I have to remove completely big job ?

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
There used to be a fix for this on here. It involves straightening the jacking point and using a bit of box section to strengthen, which would fix to a pre drilled hole on the chassis with a nut and bolt...spray with under seal.
Might pull the side skirt in too :up:

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I never jack sills due to experience on mk1's. Always sub frame bolt at the front and beam mount for the rear ☺

172 turbo
Yeah I was going say can someone take a picture of where Else you can jack the car up from as don't want to bend anything

Any ideas how to get the skirt back is looks crap now

Has anybody's front jacking point started to bend in from constantly jacking the car over the years ? The issue is my side skirt is starting to gap and come off.

To fix this would I have to remove completely big job ?

Mine was like this years ago..

SAM_0541_zps5bb69867.jpg

Removed the skirt and found this

SAM_0545_zps44d45a31.jpg

Straightened it all out and used some new stainless fittings and the new skirt sat fine after that

SAM_0551_zpsd52a5c2a.jpg

SAM_0553_zps732c897f.jpg

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Only scissor jacks should be used on the cills, as they cup the thin metal.
If using a hydraulic jack, use the rear end of the triangular subframe plate to lift both wheels on one side. use the front of the triangle plate to jack both fronts, or the rear beam for both rears.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Skirts are held on by a row of pop rivets which will need drilling out and a torx screw at each end from memory? There's definitely one at the front but can't remember about the rear, once these are off the skirt lifts off a series of plastic retaining blocks.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Skirts are held on by a row of pop rivets which will need drilling out and a torx screw at each end from memory? There's definitely one at the front but can't remember about the rear, once these are off the skirt lifts off a series of plastic retaining blocks.

This is correct.