ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

James' 172 Build - Lots of Pictures

ph2 172
After owning my 172 for several months now I may as well start a build thread.

Bought the car from Trev at DTM cars mid last year. Soon as the car came up I thought great, a trust worth garage, its in my budget, reasonable mileage and once I took it out for a test drive, I HAD to have it. Felt like a rocket compared to my 1.4 16v clio 2.

After getting her home typical Teesside weather.
IMG_0368.jpg

Took it for a power run up at Evo Tune in Durham. Ran what I expected for a standard 172 which was great, however it was using 1lt of oil ever 1500-2000 miles but Renault specs said this was an okay oil consumption :S
IMG_0628.jpg

I had a couple of months of new love with the car taking pictures of it in various places, managed to get a KTR Induction kit from Leeds_182 as he was fitting bodies.
Also got a KTR Stealth cat back, a silenced one.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

Then she ended up like this after a torrential rain storm as the alternator had gone. Lovely £300 bill, while it was off the road I refurbed some lightweight alloys and got new T1R's all round. Borrowed my mates bright yellow Nissan Micra mean while.

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Got a cup spoiler cheap of Mark Fox and wrapped it in carbon effect. Also manage to get a spare engine, box, front brakes, braided lines and a battery relocation kit.
IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Drove it around for a while and well now it looks like this

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

After breaking down on my way home at midnight a couple of weeks ago, I decided (never done anything like this before) to stick it on my parents drive and fix the problem myself and when I get stuck ask friends and fellow Clio owners for help/favors. Managed to get the engine out pretty easy on my own, labeling plugs and bolts with the hope that it would all go back together. I found that a con rod looks to have tried to make a break for freedom. Found a nasty crack in the rear of the block, bits of metal were everywhere, all the ports, intake, oil ways. So basically my engine was scrap. Using the spare engine I bought of Mark a while back I borrowed an engine stand and began to strip that and ordering parts.

With the idea of keeping things cheap but using genuine parts, it didn't stick. Ordered all the typical rebuild bits like gaskets, timing belt, dephaser, fluids from Renault Wolverhampton, then I had a little bit spare cash left over, and I haven't stopped buying.

My build so far is looking like:

KTR Induction kit
RS Inlets
ALD Gas flowed head, with new Valve guides and angled seats.
Supertech Valves
ARP Rod bolts
182 Manifold Heat wrapped with decat link pipe
KTR Stealth Cat back
RS Tuner 98 Ron map
Air Con Removed
Removed carpet from bulk head and fitted Nimbus Lite
Powerflex Rack Bushes
Relocate Battery to the Boot

There is probably more I just cant remember, after find out my budget for a new padel clutch must now go on valve guides I'm trying to sell a few spares I have to make some money back.

While my head is off at ALD I've spent some time painting up bits. I've gone for a matt black engine to hide the dirt, and well... this.

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Should go well :) wouldn't bother with a paddle clutch unless you want boost in the long run. Standard one is fine even with low boost.

ph2 172
Should go well :) wouldn't bother with a paddle clutch unless you want boost in the long run. Standard one is fine even with low boost.

Depending on work/moving house I want boost. The engine would have to come out again anyway for forging so getting a clutch right now is no really worry, just buying it now would bring future cost down.

ph2 172
Latest update:

Took sump off broken engine and found the remains of something...

EC7EA16E-6C4C-46E1-BDD5-56C4FE69D85C-2257-000000E6F272E6EB_zps555b6464.jpg

I fit some nimbus heat shield to the bulk head after removing the carpet and also heat wrapped a 182 manifold to go on.

F0210E56-6D1C-4E85-8029-36143C0B39D7-2257-000000E70AEACE37_zpsbfe42800.jpg

and the best bit was these pictures from ALD

A3F47D37-50DF-4B3C-9BC0-27F46B822FE7-2257-000000E701A95211_zps3252e83d.jpg

F3A2078C-35E7-41F8-9EB8-4C195ABAB3CC-2257-000000E6FA68C9F9_zps3cd9f665.jpg

The head had just come out if the parts washer so that why it looks so shiny and polished. It shouldn't look like that when you get it back.

Will be rebuilding it on the weekend and will get it out to you next week next day delivery

ph2 172
Head is all packed up ready to go

Cannot wait!

Sounds like the same spec as mine, ive got 421's though.

I expect yours is pretty damn nippy then!

Not sure if I'm going to need a remap when it's back together, it's currently on a standard map, was going to go for and rs tuner 98ron. But I'm thinking to get the most I'll probably need to go to rs tuning for a live map.

Just worring about AFR's and EGT's on a stock map now.

You'll be surprised how much the head makes a difference as your is a later head and respond more to the head work so you will see more of a gain

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cannot wait!

I expect yours is pretty damn nippy then!

Not sure if I'm going to need a remap when it's back together, it's currently on a standard map, was going to go for and rs tuner 98ron. But I'm thinking to get the most I'll probably need to go to rs tuning for a live map.

Just worring about AFR's and EGT's on a stock map now.

I would get it live mapped just be on the safe side, after all of this work wouldn't want it to go bang!!

Andrew still has my head, his only had it about a week plus im still waiting on my Supertech valves to arrive.

ph2 172
I would get it live mapped just be on the safe side, after all of this work wouldn't want it to go bang!!

Andrew still has my head, his only had it about a week plus im still waiting on my Supertech valves to arrive.

Once it's back on the road and running, I'll get it on the dyno and check how it's running. If it needs a map ill get it done.

ph2 172
Hey, I was going to update it during the week to say I got my head back from @ALD, but I left it till now cause I've done more.

Got the head back on Thursday, and what a beautiful piece of workman ship. I cant believe how big the exhaust ports are now compared to the old ones. The knife edging of the port split is perfect. Overall I am extremely happy with how it turned out! My pictures don't do the work justice.

1B5EAEAD-A641-4E45-AB19-CD90BF431B31.jpg

725415B8-7FF8-441A-8B12-712888EAD024.jpg
[/IMG]
1D8B3426-5448-4D17-BC36-D65C93FECCB8.jpg

Also fit some ARP rod bolts because I think this may have been what let go in my original engine.

5C962D2C-CF87-4E89-816C-2E8CCB8EFC24.jpg

Then today was spent doing this! Sump on thanks to @Korky for the e8 tool, head re assembled and head on, thermostat housing, cams in and rocker cover torqued down.

8EF44B51-317C-4EE6-80E0-46DA11839EF5.jpg

642F7F1D-712B-4EDA-869E-DAA34757405A.jpg

DF3E9B29-F372-4181-B0AF-C11362133CB4.jpg

Now its ready for @Andyrg to work his timing belt magic.

ph2 172
Anymore updates?

Yeah!

Engine is built back up, I put the timing belt on and I think due to the head being skimmed, the tensioner is sitting a bit further round than it should. Will have to run it and see how it goes. Got rid of the aircon and the aux belt is on.

Just put flywheel and clutch on, after Ive had a sit down the gearbox will be going on today. Then it will all be ready to go into the car tomorrow!

Fingers crossed it will be running by tomorrow/monday.

Subscribed. V impressed mate. Don't think I would have had the patience or ability to do all of this work. Looks great mega impressed

ph2 172
Subscribed. V impressed mate. Don't think I would have had the patience or ability to do all of this work. Looks great mega impressed

Thanks, never done anything like it before but how hard can it be.

Probably very haha tomorrow will tell.

ph2 172
Some pictures from today's progress. Tomorrow's job is to fiddle with the exhaust to match the new manifold and decat, turn it over to get some oil pressure, plug coilpack in and hopefully she'll fire up. Can then let it heat up, let the heat wrap smoke, top up the coolant, keep and eye out for anything doing what it shouldn't. If all goes well I'll reinsure it Wednesday and start to run it in.

32CE1A86-D74A-4AF4-90F9-1555DA15D53B.jpg

07D79F29-86F6-45B8-B56F-57C37889BFE7_1.jpg

0DB6EB61-6391-4929-AAEB-2FFF920DE88B_1.jpg

ph2 172
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. My hands are cut to bits and my skin is stained with old dirty cv grease but tomorrow should be a fun day! Finger crossed the tensioner is okay!

ph2 172
Well boys and girls. Had a fight with the exhaust but managed to get it to fit, after turning it over yesterday there was only 1 problem, an o ring from the fuel line to the rail had gone so replaced that. After that she ran sweet as a nut! Left it ticking over to bleed coolant check for leaks. Finished before work by returning the front end to normal.

Today I refit the ball joints and wheels, got it down on the floor and insured it!
Took it out for a test drive, clutch could do with some adjustment as the bite is at the bottom of the pedal. Other than that all I can say it that I can't stop smiling!

I cant wait to get it on the dyno going to call rs tuning soon. With the decat it's a lot louder, and it definitely feels faster than my 165bhp engine. I guess the dyno run will tell how much extra it has.

ph2 172
First few miles showed that I had a slight leak from a core plug so swapped that out for a new one. The car was sitting just below ideal temp. so I swapped out the thermostat and temp. sensor and its now fine and goes all the way to 7200rpm. The exhaust wasn't sitting in the hangers due to the new manifold and decat, so I took a dremel to the rear hanger so i could slider further forward and tweeked the hanger a bit and that fines fine now.

I've done about 550 miles so far and its faultless now!

When are you booking it in for mapping?

It's booked in for mapping at RS Tuning on the 24th so 3 weeks time. They were only taking on 1 car a day due to Paul's wife due to give birth so they didn't want to overbook and anger customers by cancelling, which is a good idea!

Seems to run fine, I'm not blasting it too much in case its not fueling right but it feels like it has a fair bit more torque under 5k than standard.

Also gave it a quick wash the other day and the water that came off was black, I guess that what happens when you don't wash it for 5 month.

ph2 172
Done a few little bits recently. I got a skoda fabia splitter to tidy up the front, i don't reccomend fitting these in a rush, on your own.. PITA, but it looks okay for now might take it off and have another go.
Was also sick of looking at wood screws poking out my reg plate so replaced them and got some caps to blend into the plate.
I got some Oreca front and rear door cards from sox711 really nice guy and his clio sounds like its going to be great!
It took about 6 hours to fit the cards along with wiring up the speakers, fitting air bag on/off swtich, mirror controller, window switches plus brackets. I plan on cutting out some holes in the rear cards so I can have the rear speakers in.

4329C436-76D4-4F3C-B2B2-368A7A06FB74.jpg

C041C66A-D631-44CA-8398-2A68BBACB92E.jpg

AA1BD2C4-F6CD-46A3-9796-311192328BCB.jpg

738F58DF-1783-4412-B5BA-A7A234CDA911.jpg

My next plan is to order some LED side lights and reg plate light, thinking about yellow fogs, bucket seats, PMS shifter and get my wheel powder coated.
On the hunt for some decent coilovers too!

ph2 172
I was also getting a lot of water into where the rear seats are, I found it to be the little black caps that the boot stops sit on when the boot is closed. I took them out and put silicone around the underside of them and made sure they didn't leak any more.
I've noticed this in my mam's non sport and my old non sport done the same. Its usually soaked up by the back seats but not having any it's easy to see the pools of water in the car.