ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

James' K4j house fly

ph2 172
Hey, seen as though I've been on here just over a year and my member ship has just ran out (must renew.) I thought i'd start a project thread because the car has come quite far. Okay so I bought a 2004 1.4 16v mk2 ph3, 78,000 miles on the clock in Jan 2011. It had a Rip(s**t)speed dvd player, two cracks in the front wing and paint missing off the rear bumper. Everything else was standard. So I got the car home and gave her a really good wash polish and wax all round and most important mod first, gotta be reppin'

P1010063.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Let the modifications begin, I went a bit crazy with orange paint (all my friends keep telling me to repaint my badges orange again, not sure if to or not)

P1010098.jpg

P1010097.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010114.jpg

After seeing a lot of local 'lads' painting bits of their black cars orange i decided to go black
P1010092.jpg

For some reason the birds like'd to relieve them selves upon my paintwork after painting things black :mad:
P1010088.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010091.jpg

Didn't get any finished pictures as it was dark. So onto the next modifications.
Black Side repeaters, Colour coded side strips, smooth colour coded bullets and a little black bee sting.
Oh and a K&N Panel Filter as my paper one was looking a bit black.
A set of week old ripspeed wheels came up for sale with tyres for £100, and i really liked the style not the usual ripspeed you expect.

255732_10150201333041316_529566315_7552413_7525375_n.jpg

249660_10150201332856316_529566315_7552411_6283113_n.jpg

253874_10150201332636316_529566315_7552409_4773754_n.jpg

248558_10150201332506316_529566315_7552408_6915602_n.jpg

Next step, Performance!

ph2 172
Ok so by now we are in July 2011, I had been to FCS in my clio and the car is due for is mot. So I took the car in thinking it would pass with flying colours! Obviously being french and a clio, it didn't...
2 Snapped coil springs, one front one rear. Brilliant!
And he wouldn't pass my black side repeaters.
Luckily for me, while at FCS I had bought 35mm Gmax lowering springs. And a trip to the local scrappy and £5 less later... the car had passed, and was now 35mm lower :)
I also got a 'jap can' universal back box fitted and cut out the center box and replaced it with some stainless pipe and sleeved it. How she stood...

P1010158.jpg

P1010157.jpg

P1010160.jpg

P1010156.jpg

The car handled so much better, there was far far far less roll when throwing it into a corner and it was fairly loud when on the go pedal.
I got some Carbon wrap from carbonmods.co.uk and wrapped bits of the interior trim and my outside badges.
Skipping onto around about october time. I put my car up for sale as i really wanted to buy an mx5.
Pics from for sale advert.

091c2730.jpg

a2486de2.jpg

accce537.jpg

410c37b8.jpg

17e139f5.jpg

5f9e9a12.jpg

de5bca59.jpg

896a6965.jpg

4833f563.jpg

a6effce0.jpg

1e3397bb.jpg

dad94861.jpg

bf71ae9b.jpg

As you might have noticed i'm still here so no one wanted to buy the car. So i kept it, and decided to play a bit more with performance. I went and bought a raceland 4-1 manifold, OMP rear strut brace, K&N 57i Gen 2 (ment for the ph1 1.4 sport but made it fit mine cause i wanted the heat shield,) some 20mm Fk hub centric spacers, some 5mm universal spacers, a tin of black hammerite and a Torx set from halfords.
So first i got the Manifold fitted because I had started university and had no spare time to fit it myself.
I then took her to get a superchips remap by Motoscope in northallerton. (it didnt get RR'd cause he was too busy to fit me in)
After getting home from the remap a big box with K&N on the side was sat on my table. So on it went :)
I'll let the pictures do some talking.

387d8e17.jpg

06b90ef0.jpg

398e5e27.jpg

cfcfaee4.jpg

c4642a2d.jpg

36dd6c03.jpg

0f6ef6cd.jpg

onto post 3....

MG ZR 1.8
love my little k4j

looking good.
dont like the toy, but everyone has an opinion!!

Are you thinking of changing the wheel colour atall?

:)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was going to pm but your inbox is full sooo...

Not sure if you've seen the thread but a few north Easters are going to the rolling road day at RS tuning on the 26th... Why don't you come along?

I wasn't going to put my car on the rollers but it'd be interesting to see a 'standard' 1.4 against your mapped and manifolded one ;)

Up for it?

ph2 172
After being invited by a friend to a drag racing dag at york, and said he would go head to head with me in his C2 1.1i and said he can beat me. So i took him up on the offer. He didn't show up in the end. But I thought I've driven an hour to get here, the track is empty, what the hell. I'll give it ago :)

2fcf408d.jpg

dfe28c74.jpg

adeb9bed.jpg

My runs went

1st ever: 17.1070 @ 80.53 - on my own
2nd : 16.9910 @ 80.90 - saxo vts that ran like 15 secs
3rd : 16.9999 @ 80.50 - astra 1.6 with custom manifold, remap and a bmc cda, i beat him!!!!! was a buzz
4th : 16.9460 @ 81.10 - Corsa limited edition with a remap and filter, claimed 92bhp, i beat him too!!

excuses... track was damp and I have bad tyres on the front. But I had really good fun!

Present day, the car has 25mm spacers on the front, a stripped out rear with a fusion bass tube in the rear cause i like dubstep :D
Car is in need of an oil/filter change.
Looking for more power, thinking of going 1.6 16v but just paid out for a years insurance so money is tight at the moment. I've got two roots for styling at the moment, either a sport rep or as it is now but lower, need to spacer the rears out, and paint my wheels or get some new ones! The black side repeaters are back ;)

As she stands these days!

945d065f.jpg

319080aa.jpg

df7981bd.jpg

e46733be.jpg

4ee8b6e1.jpg

304c4cc8.jpg

ph2 172
love my little k4j

looking good.
dont like the toy, but everyone has an opinion!!

Are you thinking of changing the wheel colour atall?

Yeah, i wanted to go Black but that seems like what everyone is going to now as well as graphite grey, so i was thinking something bright like red, green, maybe white though. Who know's, any thoughts your self?

:)

I was going to pm but your inbox is full sooo...

Not sure if you've seen the thread but a few north Easters are going to the rolling road day at RS tuning on the 26th... Why don't you come along?

I wasn't going to put my car on the rollers but it'd be interesting to see a 'standard' 1.4 against your mapped and manifolded one ;)

Up for it?

Sounds like fun, not sure if i can get in the north east section cause i need to renew my membership. Sounds like a good match up to see what all these mods have made, emptied my pm box so fill me in with the details and i should be able to come and play!

ph2 172
Good effort :), IMO not worth modding but you've done a tidy job. Whats next for it?

I've done a photoshop of what id like it to look like
cliochoppp.jpg

But the total cost would be about £1000-£1200, i could sell my car and buy and insure a proper 1*2 for that!
I fancy a set of adjustable coilovers, spacers for the back, good rubber, manifold back system, new light weight wheels. Just building it up ready for a 1*2 conversion tbh.

MG ZR 1.8
Maybe something along the lines of a gun metal grey? Or just to out there with a white.
Just a tough one, everyone I've spoken to with white wheels says there a bugger to keep clean.
Where as my wheels, being black.. When there dirty- black. When there clean - shiny black.
Haha. It's up to you though.. But IMO not a fan of bright colours on wheels. Badges yeah!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1.4's are cracking first cars. Approximately 100000000 times better than a 1.1.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Buy my 1.6 ;), or you could buy my wheels/172 rear bumper. PM me if your interested.

ph2 172
Maybe something along the lines of a gun metal grey? Or just to out there with a white.
Just a tough one, everyone I've spoken to with white wheels says there a bugger to keep clean.
Where as my wheels, being black.. When there dirty- black. When there clean - shiny black.
Haha. It's up to you though.. But IMO not a fan of bright colours on wheels. Badges yeah!

Yeah my friend just got his done gun metal on his red fabia vrs looks really good, I'm liking white at the moment, but I wanted to be stealthy so tempted to go black.

1.4's are cracking first cars. Approximately 100000000 times better than a 1.1.

I went from my sharing my mam's mk2 ph2 clio 1.2 16v to my 1.4, clio love in our house hold!

2.0 brakes
black wheels
and my old cat cams would see this very nice indeed

Tell me more ;) how do i fit 2lt brakes, do i need the hubs and suspension plus the rear discs ?
Are the cams made to run on stock engine's with just bolt ons ?

Buy my 1.6 ;), or you could buy my wheels/172 rear bumper. PM me if your interested.

I think i'd probably just buy a 1.6 engine plus loom, and bolt it into my car, I'm looking for a 172 bumper at the moment but not ready to buy till early january for now. What wheels are they ?

alien green rs133
yeah the cams will just go in, will complement your exhaust.

a remap would see further gains but is not compusary, your car will actually map itself a little bit :rasp:

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
how does it feel like compeared to a standred engine now?

just bought cams and a raceland 4-1 manifold and decat for my k4m.

could u not just drop a k4m straight in on ur loom and ecu as they use the same sensors ect and the ecu can adjust itself?

mate dropped a ford 1.8rs engine into his 1.6 running a 1.6 loom and ecu also works with the vauxhalls.

you could always get the rs tuner 1.6 map put on ur 1.4 ecu.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
theres no point in him dropping in a k4m... his will be putting out the same power.

and apparently the 1400s are easier to tune than the 1600s (repeating what i picked up from here)

ph2 172
m... not sure if dropping a 1.6 into my car with 1.4 ecu and loom would work properly, might do but why bother. for the extra 200cc it probably wouldnt be worth it unless i knew it work work for sure and would make a difference.

Car feels and is (proven) quicker than it was standard :) but ive got more than just exhaust mods.
next step for me is a good service, im looking into cams and lightening fly wheel, and what they would do to power/torque.

I think i'd rather just stick 1.6 pistons and crank shaft into my engine, cause everything else is the same.
If i was going to do a conversion might as well go 2lt and just bolt the whole front end into my car.

Knuckles, how is the k4j easier to tune than the k4m ??? I cant see why :/

GSXR + KDX220
K4M has a longer stroke than the K4J. Effectively more torque but wont be as revvy an engine, so would probably make more power higher up the revs with cams etc

TT QS
really like what youve done all round and nice to see a fellow 1.4 owner pushing for more power! lol. if im really picky i dont like the style of your exhaust.... but thats just being picky lol. great work, look foreword to seeing more of this

ph2 172
Ah I see :)
Thanks alex :) yeah it was the best cheapest i could find. Im going to try one of them sniper exhausts off ebay next month and see what they are like, im getting jamie winter to build me a de-cat. Ill try get a recording of my 0-60 time so you guys can compare it to your own

TT QS
Ah I see :)
Thanks alex :) yeah it was the best cheapest i could find. Im going to try one of them sniper exhausts off ebay next month and see what they are like, im getting jamie winter to build me a de-cat. Ill try get a recording of my 0-60 time so you guys can compare it to your own

i saw these too. i reckon theyll be VERY loud, not that that bothers me in particular but still. would you go for the whole system or just the back box?
£100 is a potential bargain too

ph2 172
i remember reading a while back, the same mods were performed to a 1400 and a 1600... remap and exhaust iirc. the k4j made around 108 bhp but the k4m made 112bhp. ill see if i can dig the thread out later on

Sounds interesting, and along the lines of the shorter stroke argument

i saw these too. i reckon theyll be VERY loud, not that that bothers me in particular but still. would you go for the whole system or just the back box?
£100 is a potential bargain too

Yeh they'll be loud, i was going for the whole system. I got outbid on a as new but used one 2 days ago by 3 quid :(

Another Teessider on the forum, can't say i've seen you though.
Where about's in Teesside are you? I'm in the billingham, middlesbrough area. I keep seeing a silver RS in billingham with a white CS sticker in the rear driver window??

1eight2
Where about's in Teesside are you? I'm in the billingham, middlesbrough area. I keep seeing a silver RS in billingham with a white CS sticker in the rear driver window??

Thats me! I work in Billingham, I've got a spare wheel on at the moment thats why 3 anthracite and 1 silver...

ph2 172
i feel really left out here being from birmingham :(
You're not that far, I come to Birmingham every summer to go camping :) might bring my clio this year!

I've been and got some 13inch steel wheels with some 175/70/13 tyres, bring on the snow!!

ph2 172
Ok so take one file, a TRS tow strap, an m16 bolt and 2 washers :
aee0ad6d.jpg

Put the washer on, draw a circle in pencil around the inside diameter circle then file like PHUCK!!!
699f255a.jpg

Push the bolt through see if it fit
857c261f.jpg

Go bolt it on a very dirty clio (because of the bad weather we have here) and take pictures to show cliosport.net
0051ccc9.jpg

f0e0dd37.jpg

7ea664ee.jpg

That is all :)