ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JoeyD's MX5 NC Recaro

Thanks Jon! Yeah, it's like a flipping tractor isn't it! I've been looking into various options... Either stick with good old MeisterR's or spend a bit more and go for Ohlins - they're supposedly the ultimate 'fast road' setup, but I don't know if I really need them. Time will tell...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks Jon! Yeah, it's like a flipping tractor isn't it! I've been looking into various options... Either stick with good old MeisterR's or spend a bit more and go for Ohlins - they're supposedly the ultimate 'fast road' setup, but I don't know if I really need them. Time will tell...

You never really need anything you fit to your cars.

You do it because you can. And you build epic cars :blush:

Do it

Haha fair point! And they are pretty shiny..

b30c8bc1f10ac4bf7ac2f3304937d91d.jpg

HID's fitted. Don't really understand why Xenons weren't standard equipment tbh. RX8's on which these are based have them. Odd...

25726089973_72b6ce6187_c.jpg

25723717244_4bf48e9bfa_c.jpg

Next up should be some form of suspension mods. I'm going to leave power mods for a while I think, except maybe an exhaust.

Thanks mate! I think a lot of people picture early MK3's when they think of MX5's and they're literally all driven by women or old men. Awful things! Later ones are much better looking IMO

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Lovely is that mate, HIDs are a great upgrade too.
The Mrs has an MX-5 Sport Graphite edition, nice little thing, still waiting to get my grubby mits on it to give it a good thrashing!

Well, I said suspension would be the next upgrade... yeah that didn't happen. A trip to Roddisons on Friday to collect some bits for Sebs MK4 ended up with me buying a Cobra back box. I talk myself into these things far too easily! Anyway, no time wasted, I set about fitting it that night.

Original tips for reference:
26480147166_ce26064a96_z.jpg

Side by side, you can really see the size difference!
25901193184_443f2b50d4_z.jpg

And fitted
26440000431_18288a45a6_z.jpg

26413105992_ce22aca504_c.jpg

26232580070_2be39ac9c5_c.jpg

26479469996_b76ee9e5c2_c.jpg

And one of the hids just because.
26413103052_734e783041_c.jpg

(yes usual location!)

Sound clip:

Mic attached like so:
26439999941_3fa612f91f_z.jpg

Kinda just sounds like any other 4 cylinder engine TBH, although I was very surprised by the amount of pops etc! I've heard one with a manifold and while it was quite loud, it sounded really special. So I've got some saving to do!

Went for a blast out with Seb in his ND the other night. Cat & Fiddle was horrendously busy with motorcyclists, and they're flipping mental! Didn't get too much footage as I was having quite a lot of fun being passenger in his car.

Also managed to get a few 'panning' shots. It's bloody hard work so fair play to all the proper 'togs out there! Really want to upgrade my camera gear - it's starting to show its age now.

26883891322_82d2c6934f_c.jpg

26883891892_41efd3bdd9_c.jpg

26883891552_3fec72f34e_c.jpg

26944626556_1d1446e1ea_c.jpg

26883891032_60149fd477_c.jpg

26883891382_be377ee503_c.jpg

26883891932_c0c97a3b82_c.jpg

Unfortunately it also highlighted how crap my brakes are. Soft-ish pedal, and when they get some heat in them they vibrate so much the steering wheel shakes in your hand. Perhaps time for some new discs... I imagine it's entirely my fault - but I'm still sort of used to a lightweight MK1 with 4pot Wilwoods
whistle.gif

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Where did you order the HID kit from @JoeyD? I'm picking up an NC2 next week and will miss the ones I have in the Audi.

Car looks/sounds awesome btw.

Thanks chaps! Done 4k miles in it now (oops) and still enjoying it. Needs a few bits though, brakes need upgrading and I'm not happy with the suspension or the tyres either. I'd quite like to do a track day in it too, but I've just not had any time recently!

Luke, they're from HIDS direct: H7 55w 6000k. Proper proper ballache to fit though. Try get the slimmest ballasts you can, there's less than no room behind the headlights!
Also, not sure if NC2 lights are different to NC3, but you'll need a spacer/adaptor. I bought one off eBay but it wasn't the right size, so just ended up hollowing out the bulb holders. Bit pikey but it works!
I give a bit more detail with pictures here: http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=286825&p=3522065

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Tell a lie @JoeyD, it's a MK3 facelift I'm getting - don't know why I put NC2! So NC3.5.

That should work wonders, cheers mate!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's dangerous for me every time an mx5 thread pops up.

Such a hankering for one, yours looks great as always!

Thanks chaps!
Look what's turned up in the post!

28570985721_4281a2e72b_z.jpg

28365336160_3508559ccd_z.jpg

Decided to give Teins a go after owning a few sets of Meisters. The spring rates looked a little more suited to what I wanted to use the car for, and I've been quite impressed with Sebs set on his ND. I did consider Ohlins, but from what I've read they've very road biased along with being very expensive. I want to take this on track, so the Teins seemed like a good idea. Time will tell...

Well, they're on. Too early to give any kind of impression, but it looks great! Okay, yes it's far too low but it's not been set up in the slightest - I've just pretty much guessed at the heights and took it for a spin. What I could tell from my brief drive is that they're very firm, but not crashy and it really really really needs an alignment.
Here's a picture of the rears for a size comparison

28745898715_d7322270f4_c.jpg

Excuse the dirt! Not had time to wash it recently.

28461488520_9f64b3d59d_c.jpg

28745807145_f2ef425850_c.jpg

28713937256_0d28fb773c_c.jpg

28713937076_85bbfb7cd9_c.jpg

Crazy how far the wheels are in the arches... I don't really want to mess around with spacers, so wider wheels are definitely on the cards.

Yeah I do love how it looks, but if it handles like crap I'm not going to be sad about changing it - it's for driving, not looking at after all...
Looking at the race cars, they're a similar height so I'll just have to wait and see.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks awesome bud!

Get those adjusted correctly, and you'll have something rather special I'd imagine!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Less than 1000 miles have been covered in this car since around September... I'm annoyed by that TBH!

I had a wobble a couple of months ago and wanted to sell, but fortunately I realised I was being silly, so I decided to stop being a soft c**t and keep it. I've now got some quite exciting bits coming for this car in the next few weeks and it should set me up nicely for a few trackdays next year.

I acquired some new rubber a couple of months ago; Federal 595RSR's (225/45/17 all round) I've been impressed with them before, I rate them way above Nangkangs in terms of both grip and poor weather capability - sure they're no regular road tyre, but they're nothing like as poor as the Nangkangs IME. Plus they don't howl on the motorway.
Fitted to standard wheels (for now!)
30677291722_d46b531889_z.jpg

30493207420_047fdf8bbb_z.jpg

I've also upgraded the steering wheel, which is something that any MX5 owner should do right away. The standard item is like holding a noodle - so very thin! It's also quite large in diameter, but it's mainly the thickness that I hated. I did some research and decided to try Royal Steering wheels after hearing plenty of good things. They did not disappoint; cracking quality and I only had to wait about a week to receive the finished item. I went for smooth leather all round as I'm not really a huge fan of perforated leather and suede tends to be a pain in the arse to keep on top of. It's thicker, and has thumb grips sculpted in, and this way I retain all the cruise/audio controls.
30802861484_12b194e5ee_z.jpg

30802487244_517f50502e_z.jpg

31497720802_cf6aaa4543_z.jpg

And as a bonus it smells like brand new football boots - something I've not had in over 10 years. Such nostalgia!

And it wouldn't be right unless I posted more pictures in the exact same spot:
31644051295_7348fb47bb_z.jpg

31497720382_d4877a6f04_z.jpg

31497720712_6f75b23fe5_z.jpg

More to come, hopefully very soon!

Swift Sport
I'm sure you've already answered this question before, but how do you rate the Mk3 against the Mk1 in terms of performance and driving experience? I've been toying with the idea of selling mine in the spring and replacing it with a 2.0 Mk3 Sport. Am I mad??
Yours looks stunning by the way, like really nice!

I'm sure you've already answered this question before, but how do you rate the Mk3 against the Mk1 in terms of performance and driving experience? I've been toying with the idea of selling mine in the spring and replacing it with a 2.0 Mk3 Sport. Am I mad??
Yours looks stunning by the way, like really nice!

Well, it's a strange one.. I'm sure you knew my old MK1, ITB's, solid mount hardtop, bucket seats, sticky tyres etc - essentially a track car. Well, that didn't drive half as well as this one does. It's amazing how gutless MK1s feel; even mine at 150hp & 125lb/ft felt slow and it didn't seem to like to rev at all. Mine had a different intake cam too, which pushed power right up to the top end and yet it still just sounded & felt like a sack of spanners above 5500/6k revs.
The engine in the MK3 literally loves revs. It's not powerful on paper, but coming from a MK1 it really does feel like a good upgrade. And it's not just the engine, you can throw a MK3 around just as much as a MK1. It doesn't feel any heavier or cumbersome; in reality a soft top MK3 is way less than 100Kg's heavier than a MK1 (Roughly 1080kg vs just over 1000kg for a 1.8 NA). You can cary much more speed through corners and it feels more stable doing so.
The only issue is the standard suspension in the MK3 is quite wallowy and a bit crashy at the same time - it's like any other generation of MX5 (even the new one!). If you were looking to do it on a budget, I reckon a set of eibach springs and some RX8 ARB's and you're onto a winner.
But yes, in my opinion at least, it's a much better car in pretty much every way. I guess they just don't look as cool!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Looks great, be good to see your new exciting bits! Sounds interesting.

Did laugh at the last bit about the photos too :up:

Swift Sport
Well, it's a strange one.. I'm sure you knew my old MK1, ITB's, solid mount hardtop, bucket seats, sticky tyres etc - essentially a track car. Well, that didn't drive half as well as this one does. It's amazing how gutless MK1s feel; even mine at 150hp & 125lb/ft felt slow and it didn't seem to like to rev at all. Mine had a different intake cam too, which pushed power right up to the top end and yet it still just sounded & felt like a sack of spanners above 5500/6k revs.
The engine in the MK3 literally loves revs. It's not powerful on paper, but coming from a MK1 it really does feel like a good upgrade. And it's not just the engine, you can throw a MK3 around just as much as a MK1. It doesn't feel any heavier or cumbersome; in reality a soft top MK3 is way less than 100Kg's heavier than a MK1 (Roughly 1080kg vs just over 1000kg for a 1.8 NA). You can cary much more speed through corners and it feels more stable doing so.
The only issue is the standard suspension in the MK3 is quite wallowy and a bit crashy at the same time - it's like any other generation of MX5 (even the new one!). If you were looking to do it on a budget, I reckon a set of eibach springs and some RX8 ARB's and you're onto a winner.
But yes, in my opinion at least, it's a much better car in pretty much every way. I guess they just don't look as cool!
Exactly what I didn't want you to tell me haha! I'd just convinced myself to keep the Mk1 lol.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Got to say this car looks fantastic. Never been a huge fan of MX-5s but this one looks really nice, the steering wheel is a nice touch too, I imagine it makes it feel more special to drive.

Just read it through from the beginning, the car just screams of fun. I'm interested about the engine modifications being similar to the Mk6 Fiesta ST. I had a FST with just a manifold/exhaust with no map and 160bhp. That car felt a lot faster than 160bhp and I'm sure mid-range it felt like it would pull on my 172 (could be wrong..). Anyhow I'd imagine a manifold/map on this would seriously improve the mid-range punch.

Nice car!

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Ps How much was the steering wheel re-trim? Interested in getting mine done on the STi