ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon and Eddie's European Road Trip

Okay so the day is nearly upon myself and Jon, we leave for out trip round Europe this Friday.

We both wanted to do a trip like this a few years ago, but due to my work, we couldn't. Now we are both in the position to be able to do it properly!

We will be taking my Clio 182, mainly because being a FF it's ever so slightly more comfortable on longer journeys. It is also very easy to get surprising MPG figures, which for a lot of the motorway journeys, will be quite important. We have done pretty much all the prep we can do to the car. Got a few niggles sorted so it should be as comfortable and reliable as possible (touch wood). Last thing to do on Friday afternoon I need to hoover it out, and give it a cheeky clean, because I R detailer ;)

Below is a little summary of the journey, and where it will take us:

Day One: Depart Manchester

Our trip is certainly not the biggest anyone has ever done, but it will be our first proper road trip. We will cover 1800 miles and hopefully see a select few of the best motoring destinations in Europe.

7782341048_8ebb7e461c_c.jpg

Google Map by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Day Two/Three: Arrive at the Nurburgring and Visit the Track Itself.

Somewhere we have both always wanted to visit. We are also lucky in that we arrive at the 'ring' on the weekend of the DTM. We looked into tickets but it would have meant rushing around a little bit, so we decided to spend our day and a half in and around the track itself, soaking up the atmosphere and hopefully seeing some exotica due to the presence of the DTM.

7782339930_1c8489c334_o.jpg

Nurburgring Centre by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

7782339576_26c07242c7_o.jpg

Nurburgring Track by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Day Four: Depart the Nurburgring and Arrive in Stuttgart

One thing we both agreed we had to do was the Porsche museum in Suttgart. Our stay in the city will be somewhat brief but we have a fair bit planned while we are there (sampling some local beer being one!)

7782338700_4b08b7f1fc_c.jpg

Porsche Museum by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

7782339344_1ed4caa303_c.jpg

Porsche Museum Inside by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Day Five/Six: Depart Stuttgart and Arrive/Stay in Zurich

No specific reason for Zurich, other than we both fancied it. Some friends have been and have told me that it's a really special place with a great nightlife and lots to see and do during the day. So I for one, can't wait to arrive here :)

7782333600_0c40701e15_c.jpg

Zürich by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

7782334100_c4ba6cd2bb_c.jpg

Zurich 002 by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

7782335356_b3c9d9911d_c.jpg

Zurich 001 by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

Day Seven: Depart Stuttgart

Not much to say about going home, other than it involves a mad dash across France to Calais to catch the ferry. I expect that come this point, we will be ready for home!

Expect a pretty pic heavy thread when we return, as we are both taking cameras. All in all, I can't wait and it should be a great holiday :D

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good work. I just did this from Burscough to the ring and back. Take a spare coilpack - saved my life!

H.Maxim

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FF
Looks like a good trip you've got planned there. I'm trying to organise one with a few friends for next month.

You planning on camping or staying in hotels/hostels?

Not long now! Proper excited now.

We're staying in hotels for the whole duration.

Nurburgring we're staying at both Sliders Guesthose and Blaue Ecke

Stuttgart - Gold Leaf Hotel

Zurich - Swissotel

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did a Europe trip earlier this year, I loved it and I'm sure you will too!

I'd of took the T though ;)

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Hope you guys have a ace time! I've got to do a trip next summer! Nearly took the vee to holland this week but easyjet won. Take your sun cream it's hot!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
utterly jelous!!!

Got a mate that lives at the ring, and another in Zurich. If i had enough time off i would be fully joining you haha

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Have fun :)

BTW the Mercedes musuem is only down the road from the Porsche museum iirc. Get an ISIC card and the discount will pay for itself.

Had this delivered today.

Its a TEP Wireless 'hotspot'. Instead of paying mental Data fee's while we are away I looked into different ways of keeping data charges down. I looking at sim only plans, foreign sim cards etc, but none seemed to be hassle free and cheaper. Until I stumbled across this bit of kit.

Essentially you buy a data package (500MB), this device connects to many data networks via 3G. You connect your phone, laptop or other wireless device to it via WiFi. We all know WiFi is free to use so you don't get charged anything on your mobile phone network, you just turn all 3G/data roaming off and leave WiFi on and you'll stay connected to this at all times. You can connect 5 devices to it at any one point so we're sharing it while we are away.

I've read a few reviews and people have said they have connected pretty much everywhere where you would expect to get a mobile phone signal. You get couple of chargers with it, english and euro socket and a USB charger. Very small and easy to use too.

photo.jpg

photo%20(2).jpg

(Epic iPhone pictures)

Picking up Rhys' DSLR tonight as well.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057058.424446.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057058.424446.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057070.174110.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057070.174110.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 96
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057078.793422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345057078.793422.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 97

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Looks epic, but confused to how that wireless thing saved you money?

Diesel Barge
Looks epic, but confused to how that wireless thing saved you money?

Snap, just looked £40 for a week/£5 a day, its only a few quid more with voda to get a days worth (100mb) and then you dont need to get it every day if you dont. Mind you its only £20 each for you's. Or did you get it cheaper?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise you had a thread. 2 pages and you've not even set off yet!

Jon's just left mine now with the camera so you'll have to give him some pointers and advice on how to use it.

You should stop at the Sinsheim Auto Tecknik Museum on your way to Stuttgart, its quite close and worth the effort..

Practically everything with an engine from F1 cars to Concorde... http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en

Looks good that, Have to see how we are for time on our way there, can't imagine we wont have time tbh. Cheers!

Snap, just looked £40 for a week/£5 a day, its only a few quid more with voda to get a days worth (100mb) and then you dont need to get it every day if you dont. Mind you its only £20 each for you's. Or did you get it cheaper?

Aye, £20 each and its capped IIRC, so £20 is the max it will cost each of us. Where as on O2 you can't get a bolt on for being abroad its simply a fixed rate which worked out more expensive.

How long are you away for?

8 days pretty much.

eddie. i don't like your new name. change it back :(

The name stays. I want it without the '.' but Revels is gay and French and won't let me :(

Looks good that Jon, didn't expect it to be so small, pretty much carry it everywhere!

Both the Auto Technik and Merc museum look great, certainly fancy them!

Jon's just left mine now with the camera so you'll have to give him some pointers and advice on how to use it.

Aye, he's used DLSR's before, so should be fine, but I'm sure I can help out if he get's any problems.

Really excited now, we go tomorrow :D:D:D:D:D

Reasonably busy day tomorrow, should pass the time nicely.

As said, this time tomorrow I expect to be just north of Birmingham.

It's going to be so good, and knowing what we're like we should see some great sights, even when we go down the road, somehow we see the most comical of things.

Be honest though, you'd rather be at work for the week.

FFS, well Jealous! You guys have a good time. And f**k the spare wheel & tools off, nothing bad will happen* - it's just extra weight.

Last edited: