ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just a few Mk2 172 questions

Megane RS 275 Trophy

I have had my Mk2 172 for just over a week now and there are a few questions I need help with...

1. Can I lock my door / boot with just my key and not the remote fob - When I use the keyhole on the passanger door all it locks is that door and nothing else is this right?

2. As in the first question if you can lock all like this will the interior alarm activate, With my old Rover 400 you could lock it with the key and not the fob thus not activating the alarm, so I could leave the dog in the car whilst I went into a shop

3. This is the one I most want answering, when I put my key in the ignition and turn it so all the clock light come on handbrake, seatbelt etc there is a slight humming noise. If I lift the bonnet this can be heard clearer Im not sure but it sound like its coming from the electronic throttle device near the air filter (is this normal)?

The car still has Warrenty left on it so going to Reanult wouldnt be a problem if these are faults. I just want to make sure first....

dk

911 GTS Cab

1. not sure, never tried it, why would you want to?
2. without using the button on the key the alarm will not arm itself. there is something you can do to turn the ultrasonics off when setting the alarm, cant remember what you have to do though, something like turning the ignition one twice before leaving the car or something?
3. yes, this is normal, i normally wait for that noise to end after a couple of seconds before i fully turn the key as it never fails to start then as people have had starting problems turning the tey in one go.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

1. no it wont it just locks 1 door

2. as above

3.as above

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 August 2005

3. yes, this is normal, i normally wait for that noise to end after a couple of seconds before i fully turn the key as it never fails to start then as people have had starting problems turning the tey in one go.
Just been and checked even drove around the block the humming noise on mine just stays there dosnt stop is this a problem, I dont know if its humming when the engines running as I cant hear it?

dk

911 GTS Cab

sorry but how do you know it is still humming if you cant hear it over the engine, im confused?

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 August 2005

sorry but how do you know it is still humming if you cant hear it over the engine, im confused?

In my post above Ive stated I dont know if it still makes a noise when the engines running as I cant hear it above the engine noise....

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Craig on 17 August 2005

you cant here it while your moving can you

No I cant tell if its there whilst Im mooving as the engine noise drowns it out as its only very quiet in the cab the raido / air con also easely drown it out, to here it propperly you need to lift the bonnet.

VaVa

Mine hums. You sure its coming from under the bonnet. I can hear my Climate Control fan by the interior light.#

If you want to disarm the ultrasonics (door switches etc still active) then turn your ignition on and of twice, get out the car and lock it with the key fob. You will hear four beeps if its work. This is only applicable to the Renault alarm which you car wont have if its an import.

ITB'd 172 POPTART

If its like a constant beeeeeeeeeep? Then it comes from the throttle body IIRC. I had the same question a while back and some one said that it was normal.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

2. press the internal lock door(s) button before leaving the car, shut the door and then quickly lock the car using the fob, Im pretty sure this is what you do to alarm the car but not activate the ultrasonics.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Turning the ignition on and off four times quickly in succession, followed by locking and arming with the plip will enable the alarm, but deactivate the ultrasonics.

This normally gives me four beeps, but I occassionally get three :confused:

Megane RS 275 Trophy

Thanks for all your help with the alarm, the question about the humming Ill leave until the 10th/11th September when the Renault world series is on then Ill check it with a few other 172s drivers ;)