ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just about getting the 182 back together FINALLY!

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Hi guys, thought I'd share some pics of how my 182 rebuild is coming along...
Mainly as the sports seem to have all died off around South Wales area! :cry:

So, purchased it at the start of 2016 on around 40k miles, completely standard, every stamp in the book, all MOT paperwork, and a reciept for a cambelt and dephasor kit which at the time had just been done.
Went on some awesome trips in it, even in standard form it performed really well! Luckily Brecon isn't far away either which is handy when you want a bit of fun!:cool:

Slowly started to turn it into a track car around 2018.
Half cage, bucket seats, the lot! even Jenvey bodies with a Gen90 ECU. What a weapon it turned out to be (even though it felt like a full tank of fuel would last an hour lol)

After running it at Llandow and knackering the engine, almost snapping a shaft, and ripped the dog bone mount bolt straight off (amongst other bits)... It was time to get it back to how it was when I first picked it up as it was still on under 60k miles, and I needed something a bit more driveable on the road.

During the time of stripping the car and selling all the track bits, I also decided to strip my R5 GTT ready for the restoration which took a lot more time than expected.
So the Clio was basically neglected for over a year till I had enough time to sort it out.
Early last year (before this COVID malarkey), I managed to source a donor car off a good friend of mine and we had another close mate transfer all the bits from that car to mine.
I had a long list of work done on top of all this; discs and pads all round, top mounts, lower arms, fresh engine service, new track rods, engine mount, sensors, injectors... list goes on.
Once I had the car back running, it was then time to send it in for a cambelt, waterpump and dephasor at a local garage using all genuine parts.

So I've spent a good few quid getting her back to former glory. The last thing it needs is an alternator, which is what I'm working on now, then I'm hoping to get it in for a full respray at some point this year ready for it to hit the road again this summer :giggle:

Would be nice to hear of some more people from South Wales on here, maybe soon we'll all have a get together once it's safe to do so!
Clio 2.jpg
Clio 3.jpg
Clio 4.jpg
Clio 5.jpg
Clio 6.jpg
Clio 7.jpg
Clio 8.jpg
Clio 9.jpg
Clio 10.jpg
Clio 13.jpg

bowen86

ClioSport Club Member
Nice read. I'm based in South Wales and looking for "clio friends". What garage did your dephaser etc?

I'm really new to Clios and I should start an introduction and readers ride thread.

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Nice read. I'm based in South Wales and looking for "clio friends". What garage did your dephaser etc?

I'm really new to Clios and I should start an introduction and readers ride thread.
Nice one! I had it done by TJ Auto Mech in leeway industrial estate :)

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Just a little update...

Not long after getting the alternator changed, the engine lost compression :( This engine from the donor car was on around 140k, sothere's no surprise!
I parked the car up for a long while and purchased an RB182, which I regrettably sold around summer time 2022.

Leaving the Arctic parked up in the garage for almost 2 years, I managed to source a fully rebuilt engine on 70k miles at the end of 2022.
I pulled the engine out around Christmas time and managed to get the new one resting in place on the subframe.

Because the weather wasn't really ideal to be working on the car outside, and shorter days through the winter, I stuffed it back in the garage till I had chance to look at it again.
Unfortunately, with a recent job role change, it made it even harder to find time to get it back up and running so I handed it over to TJ Auto Mech, located in Leeway Industrial Estate, Newport, to get it back up and running for me.

He took the car in last week, and did the following:
- Got the engine properly seated and bolted down​
- Hooked up all ancillaries​
- New coolant​
- New expansion tank​
- New engine oil​
- New engine oil filter​
- New gear oil​
- New PAS fluid​
- New gaskets​
- New aux belt kit and tensioner​

There's a couple small bits left to sort before it's ready for tracking and an MOT.
Before the previous engine lost compression, it had all new KTR coilovers, lower arms, underbody seal, driveshafts, etc... so it's pretty sweet even though its been neglected for a long while!

Looking foward to getting this on the road in the coming weeks, and then booked in for a full respray :)

Pics to follow...

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
The start of taking the engine out...

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 25

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Whilst it was parked up for a little while on the driveway... next to the RB :love:

Attachments

• IMG_9805.jpg
    IMG_9805.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
New engine in, just finishing up on a few jobs

Attachments

• 2c784ef8-c629-49fe-bdbc-7dc1edd7c9fe.JPG
    2c784ef8-c629-49fe-bdbc-7dc1edd7c9fe.JPG
    523.9 KB · Views: 21

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Had some strange electrical gremlin which stopped it from starting. I thought it might have been the ECU at first... turned out to be a dodgy ground.

Attachments

• IMG_5454.JPG
    IMG_5454.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 27

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
The moment it started for the first time in a while :cool:

Just need to re-seal the ECU casing now, stick some new tyres on, and do the tracking.

Should be ready to hit the road again very soon!

Attachments

• 42C61D84-2C66-4E7E-89AC-3D9A7D94EC55.JPG
    42C61D84-2C66-4E7E-89AC-3D9A7D94EC55.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Had a nice visit from @Con.SW yesterday, showing me his new RB

clio 3.JPG
clio 4.JPG

The one side of the Clio looking very faded... sad face
clio 5.PNG
clio 1.PNG

Maybe hard to tell on these pics, but you can see from the wing how bad it is

I took it back home to give it a wash...
clio 2.JPG

Looking much better now all the green shite is off it!

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Some more updates...

Car now has a 12 month ticket on it, I treated it to some deagreaser under the hood ;)
*Note the bling plenum*

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

Then took it straight down to Samko Tyres so have rear tyres fitted and tracking
IMG_5802.JPG

Need to get that exhaust sorted asap! its never good having a droppy right tip

fowlerboy7

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT & Arctic 182
Thought I’d give the headlights a bit of TLC

Attachments

• IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg