ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Bought a 182 Cup - Need help Pls.

RenaultSport clio 182
Hi all,

I have just bought a 182 with cup suspension. I am finding it really edgy at the back end. When going through a corner at speed it feels like the back end is going to let go and I am not feeling very confident at all.

I have previously owned a Lotus Elise and a Clio Williams so I am used to putting the hammer down a bit! But this feels different, not enjoying it very much.

Has anyone else felt this way about their car when they first bought it of have I bought a pile of rubbish with something major wrong at the back end?

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

tim182

106 GTi
Tyre pressures ok? Nothing bent or damaged.

The back end should not feel any worse than your old williams did. The short wheel base and stiff suspension means that the rear wheel can be lifted at ease in the tighter turns. Should'nt feel as if its going to let go all the time though.

RenaultSport clio 182
Thanks for replying.

I have put 33 psi on the front and 29 on the rear.

feels a lot different to my beloved Williams (wish I still had it!).

The whole reason for getting the cup suspension was to feel good through the bends.

Do you think I should check it out using my mechanic?

The previous owner only had it for 3 months which makes me think that maybe something could be wrong with it. Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?

Tangoed Works
Doubt theres anything wrong with it. The turn in on these cars is very sharp and it took me a little while to get used to. Might be driving it too agressively too quickly.

Tyre pressure should be 33 front and 31 back I think. Drive it slow into corners first and gradually build up speed. I thought at first the back was a bit skittish but now it feels rock solid through corners.

Always got esp to save you though if anything untoward should happen whilst practising! Enjoy the car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I know mine's a 172 Cup, and I know suspension's moved on a bit but...

I'd say what you're feeling is normal. If you've had a Williams and Elise and are used to pushing the boundries a bit to get the car really working under you and moving about a bit, it will always be a bit edgy at the rear...that's why these things have virtually no understeer whatsoever (ham-fisted drivers excepted)...they steer from the back.

To calm it down a little I'd suggest dropping rear pressures to 28 or 29 which ups the rear's grip and forgiveness, but you might sacrifice some initial bite at turn-in.

I tend to keep mine at 30F/33R in the summer to keep the back agile, and ensure the front goes where I want it. In the winter, 30 all round, and I take things much easier.

Best thing to do though...get it on track...find out for yourself if the threatening feeling ever turns nasty...mine doesn't (not much anyway) :)

RenaultSport clio 182
Maybe you're right, a trip to a garage is needed.

I might try and find another 182 for sale and have a spin in that to see if there is any major differences.

RenaultSport clio 182
If it is a rear shock hopefully I can get it fixed under warrenty, still got over a year left.

What are the standard rear shocks? At least then i'll know if the previous owner put any silly concrete ones on it for some reason.

Track day sounds interesting. Are there any coming up anyone could recommend.

Thanks for all your help guys !

Cam

182 Cup
Just check for leakage, u'll notice it as soon as you see it. Good luck with sorting it.