ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a beauty of a Clio 182 but have a concern

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I did as my car is taking longer than expected to sell I said to them I have decided to keep my car until the market picks up again. but they said it doesn’t work like that and that I have put a part payment down which can only be used to buy the Clio or what ever els he’s got
How many red flags do you want? You need to look elsewhere

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless you have specific signed a distance selling exclusion form from the dealer, they cannot keep your deposit.

You need to speak to your bank/card issuer and they will do a charge back.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Am performance, I honestly think it’s a good car
That sounds familiar for some reason🤔. Got a link to the advert? Obviously if it's decatted then that does raise concerns about the mot but doesn't mean it's the worst car on the market. For that price though I'd want them to be supplying it with a cat fitted and an mot from somewhere like kwikfit that won't pass dodgy cars, especially when buying from miles away unseen.

Clio 182
That sounds familiar for some reason🤔. Got a link to the advert? Obviously if it's decatted then that does raise concerns about the mot but doesn't mean it's the worst car on the market. For that price though I'd want them to be supplying it with a cat fitted and an mot from somewhere like kwikfit that won't pass dodgy cars, especially when buying from miles away unseen.
Yes of course it says on the decat cat back haha https://www.amperformancecars.com/used/cars/renault-clio-renaultsport-182-16v-3-door-10005/

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
They can’t keep your deposit. Him saying it’s part payment or whatever other bullshit, means nothing. You have no signed order form, it’s done over the phone. It’s distance sales, call your bank if you need to.

also worth noting he still has the car listed for sale…so let’s get this straight. Received ‘part payment’ but will keep listed for sale. Then refuse to give the deposit back, even though legally they can’t do that. Seems legit.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Let's hope it is a good car because I suspect any issues and the dealer will become a grade A pain very quickly. Ask for a cat fitting and an mot at kwikfit and see how willing they are.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
If you are going to abandon ship and look for another, if @Deerhound 's RB is still available I'd be looking at that personally, I am biased to the colour of course, but I'd trust someone on here more than a dealer 300 miles away.

Clio 182
They can’t keep your deposit. Him saying it’s part payment or whatever other bullshit, means nothing. You have no signed order form, it’s done over the phone. It’s distance sales, call your bank if you need to.

also worth noting he still has the car listed for sale…so let’s get this straight. Received ‘part payment’ but will keep listed for sale. Then refuse to give the deposit back, even though legally they can’t do that. Seems legit.
I feel a bit like I’m being held at ransom to buy one of his cars atm

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I feel a bit like I’m being held at ransom to buy one of his cars atm
You aren’t buddy. Just simply ask for your money back. Under distance selling regs. If not speak with your bank and get a charge back in place.

I mean the car looks lovely by the way, I don’t think you’ve bought a pup. But I’d want someone to be giving me a world class service for that sort of money on a clio. I’d also want to understand how they will make the car ‘Road Legal’

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’m 99% sure the bloke that owns that garage is a member on here. Hold on…

Clio 182
Yes, I’m pretty confident that
@getikte is the owner of that place.

He’s the one with the Laguna BTCC in the project section.
I’m sure it’s all very legit would just be nice to know I could change my mind if needed and I think I’ve been fooled into leaving a part payment rather than a deposit

Clio 182
You aren’t buddy. Just simply ask for your money back. Under distance selling regs. If not speak with your bank and get a charge back in place.

I mean the car looks lovely by the way, I don’t think you’ve bought a pup. But I’d want someone to be giving me a world class service for that sort of money on a clio. I’d also want to understand how they will make the car ‘Road Legal’
I can certainly tell a great deal of difference in the messages when im asking for a refund haha gone are the emojis!

Clio 182
Interesting how this pans out with regards members etc.
We’ll look, I hope it all works out Ok in the end for you mate. Either you get a nice car, or your money back with limited hassle.
Thank you. I’m sure it’s a lovely car mate looks great in the pics and they have been very patient with me over the last week or so that I’ve been trying to sell my old one. I’ve never bought online and there’s very limited 182s in Devon so thought this was the best option and could still be!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ooh that'll make things intresting if a falling out happens over the purchase or lack of.
There won’t be a falling out. They can’t keep his deposit, so they either give it back to him or get taken to court. It really is that simple.

He may have a salesman there and no nothing about this himself, so we’ll wait to see if the OP and the garage come to a conclusion on Monday. 🤞

Clio 182
There won’t be a falling out. They can’t keep his deposit, so they either give it back to him or get taken to court. It really is that simple.

He may have a salesman there and no nothing about this himself, so we’ll wait to see if the OP and the garage come to a conclusion on Monday. 🤞
They’re adamant that I’ve entered a contract and that the money needs to cover “loss of revenue” and this did make me chuckle a bit
“time dealing with such dialogue” thanks 🙄

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On the very very few occasions we have been asked to refund a deposit, we do. Couldn't be doing with the hassle and bad press.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They’re adamant that I’ve entered a contract and that the money needs to cover “loss of revenue” and this did make me chuckle a bit
Loss of revenue would need to be proved in a court with time stamped recorded telephone calls/emails that clearly show another customer trying to buy the car and then the garage declining because you have reserved it.
The fact it’s still advertised and not ‘reserved’ or ‘sold’ tells a very different story however.

As @imprezaworks says, on the rare occasion a customer has asked for their deposit back, I’ve always just given it to them. I’ll just sell the car to someone else. I don’t get why some dealers cry about it so much.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
They cry because.

1. It's a rough car and finally sold it.
2. Right you have wasted my valuable time, we will now illegally keep your money and ignore your calls, that will teach them.

Then. Google reviews, Facebook, emails, forums, next door neighbour. Lol.

I'm sure it will all work itself out.....

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So where is the copy of the contract you have entered?? I’m with Daniel here, there’s a time
To keep a deposit and a time to return it. Both legally and morally here the dealer ain’t got a leg to stand on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So where is the copy of the contract you have entered?? I’m with Daniel here, there’s a time
To keep a deposit and a time to return it. Both legally and morally here the dealer ain’t got a leg to stand on.
Yes.

If the customer has said “I’ll buy the car if you paint the front end and do the cambelt” and then cancels after the work has been carried out then the dealer should absolutely be keeping the deposit as they are considerably out of pocket.
But this guy has made a telephone call and a week later cancelled. All the while the car is still showing as available on their website.

Clio 182

Attachments

• 12D0C390-A297-4FEC-AFC0-BC1AB9589A0D.png
    12D0C390-A297-4FEC-AFC0-BC1AB9589A0D.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 83

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
We always remove cars when deposits have been taken, then prep the car within a day or two.

As a buyer I world want the car to be removed from sale. They would be imo an argument If a deposit was asked back.

Tbf we need to wait for the chap at the place for his response.

This thread should be locked.

Clio 182
Car looks nice tbf. Thise style lights are w**k though.
Nothing against the car tbh I just can’t shift mine at the moment and can’t take any less for it as I won’t be able to afford the Clio
I thought for that reason they might of let me have it back. And if my golf did go And that was still available chances are I’d of still bought it. I dunno how long they’re willing to wait.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I will be honest in my thinking here, from a sellers perspective.

You should have sold the golf first. Not put a deposit down hoping your car would sell in 24hrs.

Clio 182
I will be honest in my thinking here, from a sellers perspective.

You should have sold the golf first. Not put a deposit down hoping your car would sell in 24hrs.
I know And I will give them their due they have been very patient and I do respect them for that and in no way am I trying to berate them I just thought it would get snapped up fast as it’s a cheap gti

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ll lock the thread if it gets in to a slanging match.

We’ve only heard one side of the story so it’s only fair the garage (if they choose to) share their side.

Clio 182

We’ve only heard one side of the story so it’s only fair the garage (if they choose to) share their side.
This isn’t intended to be a fight against the garage, just some advice from Clio 182 owners whether or not they would be worried about purchasing car with those advisories as I appear to be bound to car with a part payment. Some are saying I should run a mile some are saying it should be fine. I was just trying to explain that i am not able to get my deposit back but is the car ok :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This isn’t intended to be a fight against the garage, just some advice from Clio 182 owners whether or not they would be worried about purchasing car with those advisories as I appear to be bound to car with a part payment. Some are saying I should run a mile some are saying it should be fine. I was just trying to explain that i am not able to get my deposit back but is the car ok :)
My immediate reaction would be to not worry about it.

Some of the advisories I’ve seen over the years on my cars have been pathetic. Others looked like the titanic but never had a mention of rust.

If the rest of the car is nice, it’s got good history etc, get in front of it and look at it yourself. If you’re happy with it, job’s a good’un. 👍

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If you're unable to complete the purchase then I guess you'll have to take the advice here and push for your deposit back. Or if they will wait a while longer then you need to push for it removing from sale. Like you say, it looks like a decent car besides the decat and resulting dodgy mot.

Clio 182

This isn’t intended to be a fight against the garage, just some advice from Clio 182 owners whether or not they would be worried about purchasing car with those advisories as I appear to be bound to car with a part payment. Some are saying I should run a mile some are saying it should be fine. I was just trying to explain that i am not able to get my deposit back but is the car ok
My immediate reaction would be to not worry about it.

Some of the advisories I’ve seen over the years on my cars have been pathetic. Others looked like the titanic but never had a mention of rust.

If the rest of the car is nice, it’s got good history etc, get in front of it and look at it yourself. If you’re happy with it, job’s a good’un. 👍
thanks mate I’m going to continue with it if I can as it’s a nice well kept example :)