ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought H&R coilovers for mk1 172

172, Westfield
Ordered my H&Rs today and wondered if there is anything I need to know before fitting them or whilst fitting them. Some poeple have mentioned that the ABS wire sometimes gets damaged so do I need to do anything with it. Once fitted and with the height set to something I am happy with do I just need to get the camber checked or does anything else need checking! Cheers guys

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
good choice!! i have these on my cup and you'll love them!
the abs wire is attatched to the original shock by an 8 or 10mm nut near where the units bolt onto the hubs, undo this and you will see the same set up on the H&R shock, just re attach to this

and yeah, get the height your happy with and just get all the tracking done etc, i never got round to setting up the camber, but i'll get it sorted soon, apparently it makes a marked improvement

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
no, think you need correction bolts, but not sure how these work:confused:

172, Westfield
Did you buy uprated suspension bushes because I havent and wondered if it was essential or whether I could do these at a later date if I felt it was necessary?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
well i never did, but as you said they could always be done after, whilst they are being changed, take alook to see what condition they are in.

who's fitting them?

Lionel Richie
the H&R camber bolts strangley don't work with the H&R coilovers

the top hole needs to be elongated for the camber adjustment to work

172, Westfield
I am. I have worked on and fitted suspension before and really need to keep costs down after buying them. My plan is to fit them myself and then get them set up properly by a garage! From what I have heard they shouldnt be too difficult to do, I hope! Did you fit yours?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
me and a mate did, if your handy with the spanners they are a piece of piss, the rears especially!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Fred2001Dynamic said:
the H&R camber bolts strangley don't work with the H&R coilovers

the top hole needs to be elongated for the camber adjustment to work

is there any alternative then? i'm sure there are a few people on here who said they've got the bolts?

172, Westfield
Is there a guide on the forum about removing the old suspension and fitting the new which may help me ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'll try and explain without pics!

REARS, slacken off the two 18mm nuts that hold the dampers on underneath, but don't full remove, then undo the nuts on both dampers in the boot, jack up car from both sides, the rear beam will now drop down. Remove the dampers fully now, and then the springs. Now fit the H&R adjustable platforms through the rear trailing arms,(wind all the way down) fit the springs, add the dust covers to each shock, and add one half of the rubber top mounts to each shock. bolt up the shocks, locate the damper tops into the body of the car by slowly lowering the jacks, then add the other half of the rubber top mount and bolt up, job done

FRONTS... jack up car, remove wheel. Slacken off the top bolt underneath the bonnet, but dont remove. Remove the abs wire off the shock, then undo both bolts that attatch the shock to the hub. Remove the shock from the hub carfully, not damaging any wires or pulling out driveshfts (be carfull!) Then with help from a mate support the shock, undo the bolt previonly slackened off under the bonnet, and remone the unit. Now you need the bearing off the unit, remove, and build up the H&R untill it looks like this (pic pinched off another tread)

http://premium1.uploadit.org/smokey/Hybrid/DSC00539.JPG

now refit in revese order, adjust suspension height to suit with the spanner supplied

enjoy

172, Westfield
Cheers mate thats a big help. Do you need to refit the bearing you take off the old shock at the front to the H&Rs then. I cant get the picture to load unfortunately but I am sure I will work it out!