ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just changed my 172 steering wheels, few problems!

Having finally plucked the courage up, i went and bought a Momo steering wheel which i fitted on fri to my MK2 172 Sport.

After removing the airbag, wheel and the cowling there was a plastic ring where the boss goes, this had a wire plugged into it which i removed. I also removed the stereo controller from the right hand side which is better cos it doesnt work with my headunit.

After i started the car up a few lights on the dash lit up. I knew the airbag lights would be lit up but the Traction Control light is on, and also the ABS light. After sratching my head i decided to plug the plastic ring back in and it turned off the ABS light. I'm guessing that the ring tells the ECU which postion the wheels are pointing and alters the ABS accordingly.

However the traction control light is still on, and so are the airbags.

I have a few questions that need sorting.

1. Where do i buy the resistors that plug in the airbag wires to tell the ECU that the airbag is still attached? any links, sites??

2. What is the purpose of that ring, and if i leave it plugged in and hide it under the dash, what will the ABS do if the ring isnt dead straight, there is no marks to show where dead center is?

3. Why is the traction light on? the button doesnt turn it off? Is this to do with the ring or maybe the airbag been unplugged?

On a postive note the difference is absolutely amazing, the car to drive now feels like a go-cart, there is no play in the steering wheel, and the car now feels like it hardly has power steering, giving more feedback when going thro the twistys. The wheel is a 300mm job so is very small, I know losing the airbag is not very wise, but you dont get one in a TVR, or so goes my logic!!

A definate improvement from a driving point of view, i just want to get these lights sorted. Ive took some pics of the wheel etc, have a look at the wires etc and if any one can help with my probs let us know, I might write a mini-guide to show how i did it after i figure out the lights etc.

thanks, Russel

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1915/wheel3ha.jpg

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7053/sideshot6en.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8117/sidewheel7mp.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5803/compare1mu.jpg

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/368/airbagplugs5rz.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6776/absplug1ym.jpg

Mondeo STTDCI
Firstly, nice wheel. Wish I wasnt so saftey concious, I refuse to remove the air bag.

1) f**k resistors, get someone like Mike to get it on the clip and adjust the computer. Much better.

2) Dont know
3) Likewise.

Volvo S60 T5
Clip allows you to turn on and off them systems but If I remeber correctly it will come up with a config error a bit later on.
Side airbags/pre-tensions and so on are fine but not to sure about the drivers airbag I expect the light will come on after a while again.

thanks for the replys, already gone thro your guide edde before i started it, very helpful, however...

Still no definate answers about the ring (i'll post a photo tommorow)

And where do you buy the resistors from?

Im sure others have successfully changed that big wheel, anyone help?

bloody hell the standard wheel looks MASSIVE next to the momo (something off a sailing ship?).

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to change my steering wheel or a nice little suede number, but can't arsed with the airbag lights and insurance complications.

106 GTi
Jay said:
bloody hell the standard wheel looks MASSIVE next to the momo (something off a sailing ship?).

Drove Loonys car with an aftermarket wheel, so small it felt like a go cart.

Looks great Russel

E91 M Sport
I've never had any lights apart from Airbag / Serv appear after swapping wheels. I guess the other section you removed obviously upset the car a bit.

Welcome to the 330mm and below gang :evil:

i dont care about the lights at the mo, enjoying the driving experience too much!!

its such an improvement with the 300mm wheel, i admit to park takes a little more effort but hey, saves me messing with the weight bench!!

to be honest if you prefer the luxury feel of a london bus wheel dont bother, however if you like playing arcade driving games get one!

the hub which i bought was a mountney universal one which fitted loads of makes of wheels because they didnt have the proper momo one in, however ive made a few calls and just purchased a proper momo one for clios with airbags, which comes with resistors and fitting instructions which will solve my problems. Plus its a collapsable one so should the unthinkable happen it will cushion my impact slightly, but lets not think about that.

lets think about trying to beat that lap time on Project Gotham Racing!!

Last edited:
I will be replacing my steering wheel soon. I think the height of the seat and the size of the wheel really are poor for a performance car.

Have you told your insurance?

Rich said:
Drove Loonys car with an aftermarket wheel, so small it felt like a go cart.

Looks great Russel

Spot on isnt it. Shame you didnt have a go when the buckets were in, you would have loved that.

My wheel was and still is 320MM Mark, 350s are too big IMO. I'm tempted to go sazuka's again but GT width this time round.

Loony said:
My wheel was and still is 320MM Mark, 350s are too big IMO. I'm tempted to go sazuka's again but GT width this time round.

I am getting my suzuka tommorrow. Standard width though so it will be interesting :eek: to see what a tight fit it is. I didnt think the xlow subframe would fit a gt width seat?

I will have to sort a 320mm steering wheel aswell. I get the feeling the seat and wheel will make a big difference :D.

you'll love it chap. As for fitting it was more a case of being snug fit but im 6ft3 and 15 & 1/2 odd stone, I'd get a pair of GT's now purely because the "wings" at the top were close to my shoulders as it is and im back at the gym again so will only get worse. I dont know if the superlow subframe is standard width only, if it is im fucked lol.

Makes a huge difference, so much more in touch with the car, alot more feedback as to whats going on. Feels like a gokart/racecar :)

E91 M Sport
I'm 6ft with a slim build (sounds like blind date) and I found the standard width GT's absolutely brilliant. They're a proper race seat though, make no mistake - none of this practicality rubbish getting in the way.

As loony says, the driving experience is a 100 times better.

I told my insurance company and they weren't bothered either. No increase for steering wheel buckets harness' stripped out rear and they didnt have a problem with rollcages either which is unusual.