ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a 172 cup, a quick question!

172 Cup
Hi all, I have recently bought a beautiful 2002 model 172 cup and am very pleased with it, my previous 'quickish' cars before this were a bmw e36 325is , and an st24 mundane'o, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the cup, nails those 2 cars for handling, and acceleration.

I'll cut to the chase, so were going down the duely and coming off a roundabout, spotted is an e30 m3 right up my ass so I felt obligated to really wind it open and see how it goes, and after about 5k rpm hell breaks loose, and the e30 takes a back seat.

My question is does the 172 cup have some type of variable valve timing? because doesn't it GO SOME! Just to add I have done 2 runs to gatwick in the last 2 weeks from devon, and have averaged 46 mpg!! WTF

Thanks, John

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The VVT works at 1,300 or something and is for idling control and emissions only apparently.

What you get at 5k rpm is the engine coming into its peak volumetric efficiency rev range, everything works as it should, and you get a nice shove forwards.

R26.r #156
Cool huh! Awesome cars, I went from a Rover Metro gti 16v to a cup and it was just FAST!!! Enjoy the car.... :)