ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got a MacBook......

Wow.

What a difference! something that actually does what its suppose to do!!

Ive never used a Mac before but finding my way around very easily.

Serato Scratch works like a dream, and it looks so damn sexy!!!!

I dont really want to use my Dell again, but unfortunately my work programmes don't run on Macs

Definitely Apple fanboy now

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome to the wonderful world of macs !

Forget your Dell. There are ways round that.

This one time .. at boot camp..
Alyson+Hannigan+in+American+pie.jpg

:rasp:

Iceberg Ph1
Nice flute.. :rasp:

I never got on with Macs but T.E.G (the guy above) is your man if you need help!

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
I too have just got a Macbook.........soooo much quicker and slicker than my old laptop.

Is MSN any good on it? (Not got it downloaded yet) Or should I download Adium?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
A lot of people rate adium but unless you want to video chat i'd stick with MSN.

Unless MSN for mac has been updated since i stopped using it and it now supports video?

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
Is MSN compatible with Safari? I remember when I got my laptop it needed to have a specific version of Internet Explorer to be downloaded before MSN could even be downloaded.

Also, is there a fast-key for paging down and paging up?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Safari and MSN are independent programs so dont need each other to run.

Dont know about a fast key, apple and up/down is home/end, fn and up/down is page up/down. Space bar is also page down.

Last edited:

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Nice. I love the Mac OS, you'll learn eventually. I don't like Boot Camp - I use VMWare Fusion when I need Windows.

Check it out!

Edit - You should have a play with Spaces. Excellent piece of software that. You basically have different desktops where things open! I only used it yesterday..Pretty Cool.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Adium is great as you can have all your programs running in one app; MSN, Yahoo, Googletalk, AIM, BookFace, etc...

If you want video chat - Skype works seamlessly with the iSight camera.

Bootcamp is the simplest way of infecting your Mac with Windows :)dead:). VM Ware/ Parallels makes life much easier though [nerd smiley face]

Spaces seems like a good idea, but I've never found a use for it ! Once hot corners are set up, why would you need more than one screen on a day to day basis ? Just my humble opinion anyway :)

Anyway - OP .. enjoy !

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Welcome to the club.

You'll love it more and more each day.

The backlit keyboard is worth the price alone, heh.

Clio mk3 1.2 Extreme
Good choice. Welcome to better side of computing. Had my mac mini about 8 months now, never crashed or skipped a beat :) happy days

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand why it's such a hassle to run things like msn ect...

That shiz kinda puts me off.

Nothing is a hassle on a Mac. No more so than on a Windows PC. Everything is generally very simple and just works.

Nissan 350z
Can you not just install OSX on your current laptop?

Bare in mind a nice new shiney laptop will always run better than your current 2yr+ old cluttered laptop regardless! :)

Mk2 Golf GTI
Thanks i'll check that out!

How do you find working with serato on the 13" screen as i'll also be running it. TBH most of the time it'll be hooked up to my 22" extrnal anyway as i'm not playing out anywhere yet but would like to eventually get back into it properly.

Are you keeping your music on the comp or on an external HDD? I think i'm going to get one of those portable hard drives that dont need a separate power supply if i get one.

On a side note, where do you get your music from? The likes of beatport etc? What do you mix?

Mac users: is it possible to format a hard drive so that it works on both mac and PC?

Thanks i'll check that out!

How do you find working with serato on the 13" screen as i'll also be running it. TBH most of the time it'll be hooked up to my 22" extrnal anyway as i'm not playing out anywhere yet but would like to eventually get back into it properly.

Are you keeping your music on the comp or on an external HDD? I think i'm going to get one of those portable hard drives that dont need a separate power supply if i get one.

On a side note, where do you get your music from? The likes of beatport etc? What do you mix?

Mac users: is it possible to format a hard drive so that it works on both mac and PC?

Its absolutely perfect on the 13" screen, absolutely ideal when playing out as its so compact. Looks the b****cks too with the illuminated apple logo on the back of the screen ;)

Im keeping all my tunes on the MacBook, its got a 250gb hd, they were all on my Laptop, but I just bunged them on a memory stick and transferred them across.

I get my music from beatport, dj download, and google(zippyshare).

Im into my house music, from funky to progressive. Ive also got stacks of party music, as ive started to do private parties for people.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I must admit, coming from the anti-Apple stance that I normally take - Jain's Macbook is a pretty decent piece of kit. What impresses me the most are the bootup and shutdown times - very swift.

I'd like to have a dabble with one for work purposes more. But being as we have one G5 compared to 200+ PCs - there's not much point - lol.

D.

RIP Dan
Waiting to get a Imac in the new year at some point.

To get me into the whole Mac thing managed to pic up an Ibook G4 2nd hand from the mrs work for £45.

Love it, so fcuking easy.

Not used a pc at home since.

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
ive had my macbook for bout 2 months now.
absolutly love it. havent used it to its full potential yet though, gonna get some recording stuff soon as.

the best things are the little things like 2 finger scrolling, hot corners, all the shortcuts using cmd, and the startup and shutdown times.

how do you get like a task manager type thing up, with cpu and ram meters?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
the best things are the little things like 2 finger scrolling, hot corners, all the shortcuts using cmd, and the startup and shutdown times.

how do you get like a task manager type thing up, with cpu and ram meters?

2,3,4 finger gestures :rasp:

iStat Pro as a widget on the dashboard :approve:

B

Brown.

Welcome t the fold :)

cmd + shift + 4 = selectable screen shot sent to desktop as jpeg FTW!!!!

NTFS volumes do work in Mac OSX. By default the OS can only read them, but there's a few excellent drivers available that allow writing. I use all my previous Windows hard drives without issue, and I don't have to wait an hour for Windows to diconnect them before unplugging ;)