ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got Served! by renault dealer!

Took my DCI in for its 18k mile service.

£155 thats ok.

Then they ring me up just now and say it needs new pads and breaks (front ones) so its gonna cost like £320 altogether!

Now ive not really driven this car that hard since i got it and cant really see how theyve worn down so much.

MY breaks in my old clio lasted over 20k ive only done 7k in this new one.

surley clios dont wear down breaks that much do they?

Hmmm... have they told you theres 60% left, they told my friend that and she paniced about getting them replaced because of the way they were told!

Dont let renault replace them itll take about an hour and theyll charge you for 3-4.

not a clio anymore

In any case, for pads, even if you want reno ones, buy them at the counter and get someone else to fit them. They charge over 60 quid for fitting, when you can pay 20 (or do it yourself if you have the time)

Well they said the pads were sooo worn down that they had messed the discs up but surley i would have felt this whilst breaking?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

im not being funny, but my 172 Mk2 has done just shy of 32k, the car is driven fast and hard on a fairly regular basis (this includes a lot of fast and hard braking over a period of two years), the car has been serviced at Renault Dealerships twice now, and has never had any disks or pads changed. Hmmm?!?

Valver

Ask to have a look yourself when you go down, if the discs are messed up youll be able to see yourself, otherwise theyll give you some lame excuse about no ramps free

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

When I had my 24K service my front pads were 90% worn, rears were 50% worn

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by cliomk2 on 17 November 2004

£320
HOW MUCH!!!! I can supply you new brembo OE discs for £50 (grooved ones are £66) and pads for £12 plus £12 P&P

so you choose!!! £320 at Renault or £74 with me (plus fitting, which wont cost ya any more than £60)

Quote: Originally posted by cliomk2 on 17 November 2004

Then they ring me up just now and say it needs new pads and breaks (front ones) so its gonna cost like £320 altogether!

Now ive not really driven this car that hard since i got it and cant really see how theyve worn down so much.

MY breaks in my old clio lasted over 20k ive only done 7k in this new one.

surley clios dont wear down breaks that much do they?
Brakes are dead easy to do you cna get new pads and disk from Europarts/Halfords for £50 and fit them yourself in under an hour.

Brakes life depends how you drive my pads were gone at 18k and I didnt think I drove it hard during that time.

7k is a little on short side of lifespan for sure, most of the pads ive changed had covered around 18k or more , unless u brake really heavy all the time lol or driver with left foot on brakes?? lol

but yeah reno prices are stupid ! i know i work for em, buy the parts yourself and get some to fit them for u, i did this for dodd on his old cup saved him a fair bit!

Fabia vRS

Could excessive disc/pad wear on diesel engined cars be because of the extra weight of the engine on the front of the car?? I still dont reckon they would wear that excessively though!!

Quote: Originally posted by jonnybad on 18 November 2004

Could excessive disc/pad wear on diesel engined cars be because of the extra weight of the engine on the front of the car?? I still dont reckon they would wear that excessively though!!
Nope the engine weights more but only about the sam as the 1.6 16V.

The difference is weight from the 1.2 wont be much anyway.

so no thanks and take it somewhere else.

my renault dealer serviced a work an at 18k rear pads were 50% worn at the 36k service they were STILL 50% worn I was AMAZED!