ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just picked up my new little track car, 172 cup.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Hi guys & girls,

It's been a while since i've posted on here and a good 7 years since I last owned a Clio Sport. However over the last couple of months i've had a burning desire to go out and get another little hatchback purely to use for track days!

Got it at a pretty cheap price with ok spec.

02' Clio Sport 172 Cup
91k Miles
Black Cup Wheels
FK Coilovers
K-Tec Stealth Exhaust
ITG Carbon Induction Kit
Carbon Fibre Front Splitter
And uprated pad's (Not sure which)

All for £1600

Picked her up today.

No great plans for the car to be honest other than i'll change the cam belt, the previous owner said this had been done but couldn't find the receipt so for peace of mind i'll do that and change the bushes all round to tighten things back up.

Modifications planned

New Tyres (Recommendations taken)
Braided Brake Lines
Uprated disc's and pads (Recommendations taken)
De-Cat

Other than that I probably won't spend much on the car other than maintenance and anything I break on the track.

1st track day booked - Nurburgring, May 2013

298957_10152408681795193_722182621_n_zpse90fdd00.jpg

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Thanks Martin.

K-Tec used to be the place to get most parts from, is that still the case?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks Martin.

K-Tec used to be the place to get most parts from, is that still the case?

Get brake discs from G172 on here (that's his username). Pads, I get mine from k-tec.

Tyre wise - do you want out and out track day tyres or a good road tyre that will see one or two track days?

Looks good.

Looks a good one, bargain price as well tbh! As people have said regarding parts it depends on how far you want to go.

New Tyres - Personally i'd sell the wheels you have (worth £300-400) and get some 15" wheels as tyres are cheaper. A set of OZ F1's on here normally go for £150 or if you want something more aftermarket/lighter you can go for some Pro Race 1.2's. The Yokohama Advan AD08 have had very good reviews on here recently, well priced, great in wet and hot/dry condition and do very good mileage for a tracktyre if you look after them.

Braided Brake Lines - A must have in my opinion, Goodridge only in my opinion. Just buy them new as they dont come up second hand very often and when they do theyre not a lot cheaper than new ones. Bleed the brake system thoroughly afterwards, save your money also by not getting 'racing' DOT5.1 fluid as you have to change it more often, just go for a good brand of DOT4.

Uprated disc's and pads - G172 on here for Brembo HC disks (circa £50) and then you have pads. Good pads in my experience which arent noisy and dont ruin wheels/paintwork with brake dust are EBC bluestuffs, if you want something more aggressive then i'd go for a set of Carbon Lorraine RC5/6's, Pagid Blues, Performance Friction. These pads will require you to clean your car a lot as if you dont it'll make a mess of your paintwork, but the good side is they provide unbelievable stopping power and massive amounts of confidence on the brake pedal.

Decat - Find out second hand on here, though really it won't make much of a difference and I just spend the money towards more trackdays.

You can get most if not all of this through K-tec, though they do have heavily inflated prices in most cases of their parts. They are very good with delivery times in comparison to other companies on the net. So its up to you whether you want to save yourself over £100 and shop around, or just make your life easier and get it ordered all at once.

Hope thats some help.

Nick

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Nice looking car. Where did you see it advertised? I'm looking for one at the moment.

Dave, it was on Ebay.

I was only browsing really, I've been living in the middle east for a while and when I returned earlier this year I went to the 'Ring with a group of friends and got the itch for a little pocket rocket again.

It was based 5 minutes from home, thought it was worth a look and ended up buying it!

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Get brake discs from G172 on here (that's his username). Pads, I get mine from k-tec.

Tyre wise - do you want out and out track day tyres or a good road tyre that will see one or two track days?

Looks good.

Thanks Cub, I'll drop him a message regarding the disc's.

Tyre wise, I would want something that was as track focussed as legally possible. The car won't be getting used on the road however I don't have a trailer to tow it with so I would need something that would be road legal and able to get me there. My closest tracks are Donnington and Oulton Park.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Nicks post above is pretty much bang on mate. I'm putting AD08s on mine, other options are r888s, Federal RSRs (some have had disentegration problems with these), Dunlop Direzzas.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Looks a good one, bargain price as well tbh! As people have said regarding parts it depends on how far you want to go.

New Tyres - Personally i'd sell the wheels you have (worth £300-400) and get some 15" wheels as tyres are cheaper. A set of OZ F1's on here normally go for £150 or if you want something more aftermarket/lighter you can go for some Pro Race 1.2's. The Yokohama Advan AD08 have had very good reviews on here recently, well priced, great in wet and hot/dry condition and do very good mileage for a tracktyre if you look after them.

Braided Brake Lines - A must have in my opinion, Goodridge only in my opinion. Just buy them new as they dont come up second hand very often and when they do theyre not a lot cheaper than new ones. Bleed the brake system thoroughly afterwards, save your money also by not getting 'racing' DOT5.1 fluid as you have to change it more often, just go for a good brand of DOT4.

Uprated disc's and pads - G172 on here for Brembo HC disks (circa £50) and then you have pads. Good pads in my experience which arent noisy and dont ruin wheels/paintwork with brake dust are EBC bluestuffs, if you want something more aggressive then i'd go for a set of Carbon Lorraine RC5/6's, Pagid Blues, Performance Friction. These pads will require you to clean your car a lot as if you dont it'll make a mess of your paintwork, but the good side is they provide unbelievable stopping power and massive amounts of confidence on the brake pedal.

Decat - Find out second hand on here, though really it won't make much of a difference and I just spend the money towards more trackdays.

You can get most if not all of this through K-tec, though they do have heavily inflated prices in most cases of their parts. They are very good with delivery times in comparison to other companies on the net. So its up to you whether you want to save yourself over £100 and shop around, or just make your life easier and get it ordered all at once.

Hope thats some help.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have considered selling the wheels but to be honest each wheel is curbed so it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle as people wouldn't want to buy them at £300 - £400? Thanks for recommendations on tyres though, I'll take a look.

I'll probably go for the more aggressive disc and pad set up that you have recommended as the car won't be used for road use.

Thanks again Nick, appreciated.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have considered selling the wheels but to be honest each wheel is curbed so it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle as people wouldn't want to buy them at £300 - £400? Thanks for recommendations on tyres though, I'll take a look.

I'll probably go for the more aggressive disc and pad set up that you have recommended as the car won't be used for road use.

Thanks again Nick, appreciated.

No worries Rob, happy to help. The wheels as long as they have good tread on them should still fetch between £250-300.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Mint car, well looked after. I know Pete has taken good care of it since buying it off another mate of mine. Enjoy.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Cheers mate.

Do you know the history of the car then? I bought it from a guy based in Stoke on Trent pretty sure his name wasn't Pete though!

130i Road, 172 Track
I'm putting AD08s on mine, other options are r888s, Federal RSRs (some have had disentegration problems with these), Dunlop Direzzas.

These are all totally different tyres:

- the AD08 & Federal 595 RSR are high performance road tyres
- the R888 is a proper R-spec semi slick

And which Direzza are you talking about?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate.

Do you know the history of the car then? I bought it from a guy based in Stoke on Trent pretty sure his name wasn't Pete though!
A guy called Pete owned it before him then, and he bought it off my mate.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
These are all totally different tyres:

- the AD08 & Federal 595 RSR are high performance road tyres
- the R888 is a proper R-spec semi slick

And which Direzza are you talking about?

Lol. I know they're different tyres, but all of them are a blend between road legal and strong performance when on track. Just some are more to one end of the scale (road), others to the other end (track). Which unless I'm mistaken is what the OP asked. And yes, the Direzzas were in reference to the OG3 Tony has pictured.

Last edited: