ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just test driven 182

Black Clio 172

In my search for a new car i have just test driven the 182 - in silver with both option cup packs. To be honest i was impressed however the test drive route was a little disappointing with no country lanes etc. Only thing putting me off is that the interior is almost identical to my clio 1.4 16v and im kinda bored of it. However the guy said that i cud have a car within 10 days which may sway me. in comparison to the c2 gt, octavia vrs, fabia vrs and mini cooper s it is way up there but not streets ahead as owners insist. To be honest i have no idea what to do anymore. The mini options are expensive and the waiting list is huge, skodas have an image problem, the c2 is a joke and the 182 is worrying me as there is a new clio due out next summer (residuals). Any ideas??

I if you want a fun car to drive and you want it now i would go for the 182 mate i did and i love it;)

[Edited by craigs.cup on 17 August 2004 at 12:23pm]

Black Clio 172

Yeah i see your point and have now arranged a better test drive with my contact in Northampton for Thursday. Hopefully he will be able to give me a better drive and match my finance of 11500

320d

Save yourself a few thousand now and get a 172 from a private seller. Very little difference between them apart from the cup suspension option

Black Clio 172

looked at both options and seeing as im getting it on finance a mk1 172 wud be same monthly payment without final payment and a 172 mk2 wud be around 10.5k -which is the same as a 182 for me practically. I wud prefer a final payment as it gives me the option of cashing in and making some money towards the end

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Having had a 172 and now the 182 with cup packs.

I can honestly say (as Lee M will agree) that the 182 handles soo much better. I really didnt think it would be as noticable.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 17 August 2004

I can honestly say (as Lee M will agree) that the 182 handles soo much better. I really didnt think it would be as noticable.
Yup, hes right. Plus it pulls so much better than the 172. I need to get to Santa Pod to see how much better, but when doing the 0 - 60 at Donny South at the weekend it pulled really strongly. When changing up a gear in the 172 it always dropped in just bellow the power band, the 182 goes straight back in and pulls hard.

I didnt think the difference between the two cars would be as noticable but it is, and all the Mags which have reviewed the 182 have said the same.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Dont get finance the apr is far to high.
Have u thought about a cup/172 or even a second hand 182?
You could buy from a private seller and get a loan fron Cahoot/tescos etc.
The apr is lower and ive got a flexi loan so if im feeling flush i can pay off more.
If u get an older car u can always uprate bits.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 17 August 2004

Yup, hes right. Plus it pulls so much better than the 172. I need to get to Santa Pod to see how much better, but when doing the 0 - 60 at Donny South at the weekend it pulled really strongly. When changing up a gear in the 172 it always dropped in just bellow the power band, the 182 goes straight back in and pulls hard.

I didnt think the difference between the two cars would be as noticable but it is, and all the Mags which have reviewed the 182 have said the same.
That happens to me, but only when changing from 1st to 2nd..... I thought it might be becuase i cant change gear quick enough... doesnt happen in the other gears but from 1st to 2nd I drop just off cam and it pisses me off no end!!

Black Clio 172

Just got back from test driving celica and a 206 gti hdi - Been busy today!! - Toyota were rude and i wasnt impressed, the 206 was quite fun for the price (10k with discount)

Silver Fabia vRS

As littleone says there is no new Clio until 2006 so just buy it! Im almost positive they are going to product an RS version too.

insignia

I really cannot tell the difference between the two cars.If you have a race 172 vs 182 there isnt going to be anything in it as has been proved before.Get some Eibachs fitted to your 172 and it will handle just as good if not better than a 182 with cup pack.And you wont miss the electric power steering that the 182 offers;)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 17 August 2004

I really cannot tell the difference between the two cars.If you have a race 172 vs 182 there isnt going to be anything in it as has been proved before.Get some Eibachs fitted to your 172 and it will handle just as good if not better than a 182 with cup pack.And you wont miss the electric power steering that the 182 offers;)
Dont forget its not JUST the springs that are different. So I cant see how a 172 will instantly handle "just as good if not better than a 182".

And what are you on about the power steering?

insignia

Drive a 172 with eibachs and a 182 with cup pack and see for yourself.Not saying one is bette than the other,just that they will both handle sh*t hot and you will not beable to tell any difference between the 2.the 182 has electric power steering which IMO hinders the steering feel slightly.Should of kept with the 172 setup.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Drive a 172 with eibachs and a 182 with cup pack and see for yourself.Not saying one is bette than the other,just that they will both handle sh*t hot and you will not beable to tell any difference between the 2.the 182 has electric power steering which IMO hinders the steering feel slightly.Should of kept with the 172 setup.

I think youll find the 182 HAS got the same Steering setup:

Electric power-assisted steering with variable assistance and active self-centring is now standard across the entire range, except for the Clio Renaultsport 172 & 182 which retain hydraulic power steering.

Also youll note the following with regards to the suspension:

Apart from engine, Clio 182 also received a chassis upgrade. To improve cornering stability, front and rear tracks are widened by 12 and 16mm respectively while wheelbase is extended by 13mm. A 10% increase of front spring stiffness, increased caster angle, revised rear dampers, stiffer anti-roll bars and wider 205 tires also contribute a lot to handling. As a result, the Clio 182 grips better, turns into corners sharper and displays less understeer. Best of all, the fun-playing progressive lift-off oversteer is still there.

Ive taken the liberty of highlighting the important parts for you ;)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I do know which I prefer, and thats based on owning a 172 previously and now a 182. So I had the perfect chance to compare, same as Lee M.

Although it puzzles me, why you have a 172 & a 182 coz you seem to have a dislike for the 182, when your 172 with eibachs is better?

insignia

The 182 does not have hydraulic power steering.The 172 does.Where ever you took that from its wrong. :eek:;)

Dont believe everything you read matey

insignia

Because my 182 looks like a wheelbarrow,and has gey silver seatbelts.Apart from that I love it.But no more than my 172;)

VaVa

The new Clio is out in early 2005. There will not be a Renaultsport model until 2006. So the 182 will be your last bite of the Renaultsport cherry for a while.... you know it makes sense.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The 182 does not have hydraulic power steering.The 172 does.Where ever you took that from its wrong.  :eek:;)Dont believe everything you read matey

Ill accept an apology whenever youre ready ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

I cant believe I missed this today, I am beginning to wonder whether 182 sport really does have access to a 182 as he has no clue what he is going on about, if he drives both regularly (which he claims) he would know that there is no difference in the steering between the 172 and 182, both are hydraulic even though the rest of the 2004 range got the electric power steering.

He is constantly slating the 182 yet I have not heard of another person who has gone from the 172 to the 182 who has had anything but praise for the improvements on the 182.

He keeps calling it a wheelborrow on nearly every thread he comments in, why, we have heard it all before and nobody cares!

I am sure I remember him not being able to wait for a 182 so went for the 172 (hence his forum name) as did someone else remember the same fact who posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, so does he really have a 182, I think we would need proof to believe that but personally im getting a little tired of his negative comments towards the 182 as they are not called for and are very repetitive.

Thats my opinion anyway.

insignia

I am sure I remember him not being able to wait for a 182 so went for the 172 (hence his forum name) as did someone else remember the same fact who posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, so does he really have a 182, I think we would need proof to believe that but personally im getting a little tired of his negative comments towards the 182 as they are not called for and are very repetitive.

It is not a fact. I am never negative about the 172 or 182. IMO I cannot tell difference in speed and handling.As Ive said this so many times before, the main difference I notice when driving them is that the 182 silver seatbelts and ofcourse the wheelbarrow back end!;)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I dont see any apology?

Or are you still adament that the 182 doesnt have hydraulic power steering?

Boz

Arctic 182

It is not a fact. I am never negative about the 172 or 182. IMO I cannot tell difference in speed and handling. As Ive said this so many times before, the main difference I notice when driving them is that the 182 silver seatbelts and ofcourse the wheelbarrow back end!;)
How come you thought the steering was a different set up then matey?

Craigaward,

Why dont you get a 172 Cup:D he he heee

I dont recall that being mentioned. Although i wouldnt slate the VRS too much, it looks pretty hot, some phat seats and body styling. So what its a skoda, its a vw underneath and youll get a decent diesel engine, if thats what you like. Thing is i hate diesel as a fuel. Anyway it depends on what you can afford i guess. Im sure there are some cups going at around 10k or maybe less if your lucky. Good luck with your decision hunting.

insignia

For some reason the 182 sometimes feels lighter at higher speed round corners, dont know whether its my imagination but I assumed that was the reason why.I had it in my head that was the why,but maybe not so.

I think this better handling people say the 182 has is purly down to the wider track of the tyres. Ive test drove a 182 and it feels no different to my 172 on exaltos.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

182 Sport,

I feel youve discredited yourself with every post youve made in this thread.
Theyve been unfounded and often incorrect. (I dont believe I am the only person to see this)

Until such time as you can post sensible replies, I suggest you refrain from posting at all.

On the other hand, surely someone in your position who "apparently" owns both a 172 and 182 concurrently you should be in a position to post truely comparative replies, however, this does not appear to be the case.

Come back when youve got something worthwhile reading, rather than snidy replies like "I see sense. At last".