ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just tested 182

unimpressed!!!

didnt seem fast at all, it didnt want to rev, (only 376 miles mind u) rolled a bit round the corners and generally seemed quite pants for a performance hatch! (sorry to the 182 owners)

just didnt seem any where as fun as my valver, no grin factor id say!!!!

anyhow.... maybe it needed running in....

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

was this a "cupd" 182 or standard?

And youre right about it needing running, 376 is nothing, suprised the dealer let you rev it high at all.

no cup pack which explained the handling , the dealer was canning it himself!!!!!

i dunno, hmmm any one got one with a few miles to see how that goes???

Leon TDI

Quote: Originally posted by ivegota16v on 29 June 2004

no cup pack which explained the handling

I dont suppose you noticed what tyres it was running on? Might go someway to sorting out the Stiffer Side Walls debate with the standard 182 and cupd 182.

I was a bit unimpressed with my 182 in the beginning even my alfa 155 seemed more planted and fun in comparison.

HOWEVER you need to get to know a 182 before you can have fun with it. if you can drive smoothly you can be fast............. VERY fast! :devilish:

i would say that my valver handled much nicer and far more grip than the 182 i had a go in....

im not sl*gging it of but i just didnt think it was anything to rav about, i just wish it had more miles to see what the lump is really like!!!!

oh well, type r is being tested friday! they are bringing one down from slough just for me! he he!

if anyone is in the bristol area with a few miles to change my mind then feel free!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by ivegota16v on 29 June 2004

unimpressed!!!

didnt seem fast at all, it didnt want to rev, (only 376 miles mind)
Thats how I felt after my test drive...

Its the milage, or lack of thats the problem and they do take a few thou miles to bed in and start to get quicker.

The one I drove only had 600 miles on the clock and had so far been driven"normally" so it was still very tight and felt a bit limp.

I think its probably a mixture of the 182 not being run in and because you stepped out of a valver! My sisters 172 doesnt feel as fast as my valver because its a good bit more smooth, quiet and you sit a good bit higher. Obviously her 172 is just as quick but its just the feeling you tend to get coming from a 10 year old go cart to a fire new, modern car....beit a 182 or any other modern car.

Yaris Hybrid

Hmm before I ordered my 182 online I tried negotiating prices with a Renault dealer. They could only offer an ex demo at the price I wanted though. I told them no thanks because demo cars get ragged by test pilots (are you one ivegota16v or are you a genuine buyer?) or used by the sales staff for shooting down the pub on a Friday lunchtime. Their reply was as follows:

"Just to put your mind at ease, we would not use that type of car as a run around and all demos are accompanied with the speed limit being adhered to."

Yet in this conversation we here that the salesman was giving the car a canning!!! Quite a feat ragging a 182 without exceeding the speed limit me thinks unless it was only in first gear!!! This conversation makes me glad that I have a 3 month wait for a brand new model....

Lee

BMW M2C

When I was picking mine up last week, the sales guy I was dealing with had an identical car as his Demo. The poor thing was in a right state. He was lending it to one of the other sales blokes that evening, the one who took mine off to be fueled. I asked him to take care of mine and he replied "Dont worry, Ive got his later so Ill be seeing how much air I can get".

Whenever Ive test driven anything Ive thrashed it. The only car I didnt was a CTR, which I warmed up first as I was going to buy it. The 300 miles P1 on the other hand got it good and proper!!

Id never in a million years buy an ex demo.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 29 June 2004

Id never in a million years buy an ex demo.
Nope... I know what they are treated like first hand! ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by geoff_clio182 on 29 June 2004

My 182 feels fine even after 700 miles.
Compared to what?!
Geoff had a 172 previously so Id guess that.

Mine feels tight as a nuns chuff at low revs compared to the 172 but mid range its pulling very strongly. Not long before I can see how it does at high revs. The most its seen so far has been around 5k to overtake a couple of people.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 29 June 2004

"Just to put your mind at ease, we would not use that type of car as a run around and all demos are accompanied with the speed limit being adhered to."
Sitting on red line in 2nd is still under a 70 limit..

And, from what Ive read on here, the ones which were ragged from new are the quickest ones, heh.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quickest to the scrap yard yeah. ;)

Ragged isnt so bad, ragged from cold as most demos are is very bad.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 29 June 2004

And, from what Ive read on here, the ones which were ragged from new are the quickest ones, heh.
Mine was run in correctly and was very quick... RR & 1/4 mile proven...

yep the sales guy tanned it for a little bit

then i had a go, interesting shift light in 1,2, and 3

felt a bit guilty as it was only on 375 miles but i thought it would still have some go!!! and how high do those clutches bite!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 29 June 2004

My 172 didnt wake up until 20k!!!
My mates is the same. His has 18k on the clock, and it seems to rev so much easier than mine... Mine you, he has a goodun.... 14.6 1/4 with panel filter. Perhaps mine is just a sh*te one. Sometimes it feels rapid, other time it feels really sluggish and reluctant to pull from low down.. who knows... I hope the new ones going to be better....;)

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 29 June 2004 at 6:29pm]

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by geoff_clio182 on 29 June 2004

I only said it feels fine! How can you read that much into it!
Because the original post said "doesnt want to rev" and I said it felt "limp" but you said yours felt fine. So I am reading that as that your 182 is either the same, in which case your 172 must also have been a bit flat, or your 182 is as quick as your 172 already and is a good one!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

So which is it?! ;)

They all vary so much though, I remember the first 172 I drove (mk1) it felt really tight and gutless below 5000rpm, then was ok on cam. It felt slower than my 106 GTi and confused the hell out of me.

However, the next one was a total contrast, strong low down, plenty of torque and a real strong surge as it came on cam at 5000rpm!

Problem was that when I drove the 182 I jumped out of my run in and very punchy Cup to a low milage tight 182 and it just felt gutless. Id have been better using the GFs car, then going to drive the 182.

the 182 i test drove have just under 2k miles on the clock and when i say just under 2k it was somehting like 1996 when i got got out i rememebr looking what it had done :)

compaired to my 16V is totaly pissed all over it.. in the 182 i cam off a round a bout in 2nd only a dual carrageway and floored it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th looked down at the speed OOPS is all i can say was doing just over 100mph lol i slowed down instantly to about 70, apart from all the tpys you get with it this was the thing that made me go for the 182 i was very impressed with it.

after a little chat with the sale guy he said the engine seems to free up about the 2k mark... could have been BSin me to try and make the sale who knows i brought form a diff dealershop anyway :)

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 29 June 2004

was this a "cupd" 182 or standard?

And youre right about it needing running, 376 is nothing, suprised the dealer let you rev it high at all.
lmao, you dont know alot about the dealers then do you

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Each to their own i guess,but i doubt Joe public test driving a car gives the best assessment of a car.Speak to owners,people who live with them.

Mine is standard and handles superbly.Car mag reviewed a 182 in standard form and raved about its handling compared to a Pug 180,Cooper S and Leon cupra.We all know mags are opinions as well but having owned one for over 3 months id go along with the review.I cant fault the handling at all.

Like Tom said at the start of this thread,not everybody will like them,i go along with that as well.

ok got me 182 today and wow does it handle more comfortable than me old 205 gti, mates mini cooper s and other mates scooby and also handled loads better than them. no body roll @ all. went round a large roundabout @ about 60-70 and it loved it. was a bit worried to push it any further. ex girlfreind was punching me in the arm so that didnt help. lol but even then she said wow that went round well good lol.

ok performance seems a bit gutless so it should be cause it only got 150miles so far so will see what happends when i hit the magic 2k i have heard all about .

and whats all this fuss about people moaning about the car @ high speed on motor ways. the car was fine. even with the radio off it was so quite. ok was only doing 80-90 but thats a good speed. you try and sit in my mates cooper s and see how much that pisses you of @ high speed lol.

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 June 2004

Problem was that when I drove the 182 I jumped out of my run in and very punchy Cup to a low milage tight 182 and it just felt gutless. Id have been better using the GFs car, then going to drive the 182.
You have hit the nail on the head there mate.

When I have been ragging around in the 1.6 Focus all week I get back in my Cup and it feels stupidly fast. Ill save a fortune on mods with this approach too ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 29 June 2004

I still cant tell the difference between the handling on 182 & 172
does the 182 have the cup suspension?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by bsimmer3000 on 29 June 2004

ok performance seems a bit gutless so it should be cause it only got 150miles so far so will see what happends when i hit the magic 2k i have heard all about .
Takes about 10k miles to loosen up fully, sometimes more...

does no one else think the speed can be deceptive in the 182?? many a time ive thought come on move, looked down and found out im travelling a fair bit quicker than i thought.

for instance, one of the fastest "feeling" cars ive ever been in was a mini. real world performance wasnt anywhere near as quick as it "felt" i was going.