ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Juude's 172 Project :)

PB172
Hei guys!

Thought I would finally make a project thread seeing as I seem to be reading everyone's blogs thinking that I should probably keep track of everything I've done to the little beast :)

So here we gooo :)

Bourght the 172 around a month ago. 70k, Pearl Black, FSH, Leathers, Xenons, S/S Exhaust system. Was pleased with it, although I knew it needed a bit of TLC to bring it up to where I wanted it.

5658124738_f1a6046451.jpg

There was a slight scratch, looks way bigger and more obvious is the photos but nobody actually notices it when the 172's clean and shiny :) Check it outtt :/

5658126322_76872f658c.jpg

It's about the size of my iPhone... Was a bit gutted but it reflected the price and was something I wasn't majorly bothered about seeing as my grandad sprays cars for a living and he said he would get round to it in a few months or so when I'm back from University and he has some spare time to fit it into the shop. This gave me the idea of planning a few other ideas such as smooth boot / front bumper :D

Other than that it needed a right good clean and a few new bits so that you guys would give it the nod.

Got it home and first of all gave it a quick clean just to clear off all the dirt that had bee gathering it on it for the past 3 weeks where the guy hadn't really been in it due to moving to London and no longer needing the car.

Came out looking like this...

5658129812_0f623bb3a5.jpg

Was crap weather as usual in my hometown in Essex so doesn't really shine up that well in the photos especially as they are all taken on my iPhone :/

Cheeky shot of the arse and the exhaust system.

5657556217_7a6593698f.jpg

The rear wiper needs to be replaced due to the rubber has split on the end causing the plastic housing to scrape along the rear glass causing a mark... Hopefully I can buff that out somehow... Anyone know anything decent?

Took it round my grandma's so she could check it out, she loves a new car does my grandma and took her for a spin where she nearly s**t herself cause I was driving 'too fast for her old age' haha.

5658130496_a792fc86cc.jpg

After I brought it back up to University I got invited to a rolling road even at DynoDaze! Was a mint night, got to meet a few people with rapid motors and had a right laugh. Even seen my old polo 6n looking tatty as f**k :p

5657569315_ebc7f835d2.jpg

Got 160bhp at the wheels. Not bad tbf... Going to give it a cheeky service and new KTR air filter in a few weeks which with a bit of luck might bring it up a few more horseys. Pretty healthy though :)

5658143516_aeae2baea4.jpg

I actually ordered a few new parts on the day I got the Clio home such as aero wipers, silvervisions for front and back and LED 501's. Just to smarten it up a little bit. Oh and obviously signed up to be a full member on here for the support and also for some cheeky extras such as the tax disc holder and the sticker :)

5658149906_481ffe28a3.jpg

5657568797_460fd9b522.jpg

5657573871_156f31d10f.jpg

5657573147_5849318f76.jpg

Once all that was fitted I had a bit of trouble due to a wheel bearing failing and causing a major droning noise which lead to getting that replaced, also having two new CV gaiters and a new set of front disk and pads. Then had more trouble where the rear pads hadn't been fitted properly / the clips not put back in or whatever and the rear pads actually fell out on the drivers rear caliper... Took them back to the garage who rapidly ordered in a new set of brakes and fitted them there and then for no charge thankfully.

Don't know if you can see this pic that well but that's the pad hanging out :/

5658147616_4e0e0ec18d.jpg

Since then all I have really done is give the car a decent clean and sort out the front headlights due to them getting rather cloudy over the past month and after research and decent help and advice on here I went out and bought the kit and cleaned them right up. Still need a bit of love but they will do for now!

5679907453_eed11bf180.jpg

To this:

5680470864_2a883def6c.jpg

I have a load of plans and ideas like:

Smoothing the front reg plate recess
Coilovers
New wheels
New rear wiper
3/4 plate at the front
New plate at the back due to the current ones being all ugly and tatty.

Other than that hoping to get up to some decent meets and see some other peoples around the Stafford area or Colchester if I'm back home :)

Thanks for reading :)
Comments? Suggestions?

Looks like a good base. IMO dont smooth the front recess, just get a 3/4 plate in there and it will look a million times better the front end.

Silver Turini's will work really well with coilovers and probably leave it there cosmetically.

P.S. Give it a good wash, you didn't clean the wheels the first time.

PB172
Yeah dude I like Turinis but I kinda want something a bit different for some reason haha. 3/4 plates are 520mm x 84mm right?
After that it's just gonna be simple tingz. I want wind deflectors and a skoda splitter too :)

PB172
Yeah I've seen people say 90mm but I swear I saw a conversation between Christopher and some other lad on here saying that 84mm was spot on? :/ Dunno. Going to get my misses to purchase one for me as soon as I find out the proper size haha.

Ph2 Flamer
Hi Juude looks like a nice motor. Just got a 172 in flame red myself a couple of weeks back and I would love to know what you used to sort those lights out. Mine are shocking and I had been looking at replacing them but if theres a product that can bring them up like yours I'd love to know what it is!

Ph2 Flamer
Ooo one thing which I'm sure you'll have checked but is probably worth mentioning. With 70k on the clock has it hads its 72k service and cam belt done? Only mention it as you don't want that snapping just after you've bought it!

PB172
Hey JCB yeah the belts where done about 6 months ago :) Thankfully I don't have to pay out for that hah. Cheers for the compliments :)

As the for the lights, I went to Halfords bought an array of wet n dry sand paper from 1500/2000/2500 sanded them down using loads of water and just giving them loads of elbow grease then after rinsing them off proper dry and clean I used the cheapo 12v polisher that I got from Halfords for like £17 that plugs into your cigarette lighter and just used Meguires Scratch X and it came up like they are now. I did mine within an hour and they where pretty bad, still aren't perfect but I have loads of scratch x and wet n dry so I'm going to give it another go over in a few weeks :) Hope you get it sorted :)

Renault Sport 197
Jude, I can not wait to thrash you up and down the uni car park! haha
but looking nice bro, looking forward to seeing it

Evo 6, E92 320d
Looks good, will have to have a look over when your next down home. 160 atw seems a tad optimistic as my old ph1 made 145 atw and they are well know to be faster ;).

PB172
Maybe they meant at the fly then :/ It needs a good service and clean tbf.

Looking at wrapping it white for a bit as I've always loved white Ph2 Clios.

PB172
Haven't been up to much lately untill I thought about ordering a few new parts for the Clio :)

Bourght a new set of these on eBay for £19 delivered :) I know they aren't the best but my standard ones where crackling like a beast and I don't really have a lot of money lately but need something to replace the terrible quality of sound coming from the doors.
5734552837_2c21b583e9.jpg

From this:
5734552823_ef61fb137f.jpg

To this:
5734552841_7ce6dc38d7.jpg

Sound far better than the tosh before so they will be staying for a while.

Also bourght a CTR bee sting aerial:

5734552855_a53e128bfd.jpg

Not a massive fan of how it sits on the base but it looks miles better than the standard one or none at all haha.

Along with these small update I also got my girlfriend to buy me some number plates haha so ordered a set from fancyplates.com. plain set 3/4 up front and normal on the back! Yet to fit them as I'm working then go home for the week so should be in in a few days.

5735109002_f3c9445e56.jpg

Should also have a set of 8k D2S bulbs delivered int he next few days. Also looking out for a Skoda splitter and some inspiration about wheels...

Mk3 clio 1.5
be careful with the plates though, make sure you keep the old ones, because iirc they wont be to uk regulation and will fail on MOT and can get pulled up for it.
I had french plates on my saxo vtr n police didnt take to kindly to it.

Monaco 172
nice 1 m8, lookin a good project... i bought some tower LED 501's just like you did but mine did'n't fit in the bloody headlight lol, thought of filing the headlight where the sidelight goes through but decided to not do was for the best

2014 Clio 200t edc
Good stuff there, like the aerial, where did you get that from? Linky please!!
It depends with the plates, I drove about for years with a cut down plate front and back (normal font, just attacked with a jigsaw) and never had a problem ever!! On different cars too. Go for it, they look awesome!!

PB172
be careful with the plates though, make sure you keep the old ones, because iirc they wont be to uk regulation and will fail on MOT and can get pulled up for it.
I had french plates on my saxo vtr n police didnt take to kindly to it.
Cheers mate I've got the standard plates in the boot just in case. hopefully I should be okay!

nice 1 m8, lookin a good project... i bought some tower LED 501's just like you did but mine did'n't fit in the bloody headlight lol, thought of filing the headlight where the sidelight goes through but decided to not do was for the best
I know, they are out now tbf. Took up too much and when I swapped the high bulbs over one fell off and fell in the balast haha. Ah well, just got some standard 2led 501's now. Look smarter aswell.

Good stuff there, like the aerial, where did you get that from? Linky please!!
It depends with the plates, I drove about for years with a cut down plate front and back (normal font, just attacked with a jigsaw) and never had a problem ever!! On different cars too. Go for it, they look awesome!!
Yeah man cheers about the aerial. It's just a standard on off eBay mate. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OEM-Short-Stu...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0bae3a31 - That's all I bourght. Simply screws in.

drop it juude, its way to high atm compared to mine :D
Tell me about it dude. Gimme your springs! I really want em haha.

Looking good juude, things are moving on quicker than mine.
Thanks John, there's loads more ideas in the pipe line but it's all about money haha.

Put my plates on today, if I can find my iPhone I will take a few pics later :)

PB172
Been a while since I updated this so here we go...

Had some major unhappy news on the way back from FCS this year. Some of you might of seen my topics about Helicoiling etc but port 3 blew smashing the plug and HT lead to smitherines so popped it down to Mick at Diamond Motors to rebuild what was broken. While it was there I had the belts done again even though they had previously been done Mick said they where looking rather tatty and set up entirly wrong on some bodged runners so everything came off and was replaced with a decent set up fitted perfectly!

Check these out...

Erewash-20110616-00025.jpg

This was fixed.

Nottingham-20110616-00022.jpg

After all of this it's just mainly been trying to keep it clean, bourght some 8K D2S bulbs and fitted them.

297604_2367423501936_1140884270_2855923_2127553494_n.jpg

Oh also took the spare wheel out to try out different colors of alloy wheel I should do. Whatdo you think of this Audi grey?

309450_2423493063640_1140884270_2904451_441818655_n.jpg
313878_2423493383648_1140884270_2904452_382254592_n.jpg

Not the best pictures I know.. Sorry but yeah! :)

Phewww!

PB172
Yeah man how was your little get away? It's never going to be a massive build but just an update of stuff to keep track of what I've done haha.

secret
Yeah i do that lol, look back at what mine started out as. Many more plans for her lol.

Yours is geting on and looking good :)

Hol was good mate and hot lol aparently hit 43C the one day :) met some good peeps aswel