ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N Typhoon

Just ordered myself a K&N typhoon for my 172 mk2, hope it fits as K&N only list this for the cable throttled 172's. Also ordered myself a Ktec 182 look alike exhaust and should be receiving my matched inlet from GDI. :D should have a busy weekend ahead!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
nice one, let us know how you get on with the typhoon, i'm interested

Finally got the filter today :) gonna fit it tonight, cant wait! :)

I'll take some pics and let you all know how it goes!

Monaco Blue Mk2
A lad I know has botched a typhoon from a vectra onto a Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v, gaffer tape and all sorts used to make it air tight and what have you! In which case, I'm sure you'll be fine. Whats the supposed issue with it not fitting Mk2? Is it the fly by the wheel or acoustic valve or something daft like that being the reason?

Not sure why it wouldnt fit...

Could be Accoustic valve - which isnt a problem

Headlights sit further back blocking filter - never seen a 172 phase 1 just thought that might be a problem (maybe some 1 can clear this up).

clidge said:
hi mate did you get the typhoon on mate i would like one of these cheers

I only got it this morning and had to go to work :(

I'll be attempting to fit it when I get home and I'll post some pics up aswell.

I have got it fitted in a fashion... I wouldn’t recommend any 1 getting 1 for there 172 phase 2 it just doesn’t fit right :(
The main problem is a connection that fits into the back of the light cluster... I’m going to modify the pipe to fit with some Samco hosing or something... haven’t thought it through yet but I will prevail!
Also the 90 degree bend it is supplied with is very short and could do with lengthening to help it fit, I think the best solution if any body wants a similar setup is to make it them selves by buying bends and lengths of tubing and sticking a cone filter on the end (Some 1 mentioned this before).

The good news is that it sounds nice :) and is nice and responsive.

I will get some pics up tonight, I didn’t have time last night as girl friend was bitching at me cos its orange Wednesdays and she wanted to watch Xmen 3 lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
ah, the height adjusters are in the way (back of the light cluster)???!

Clio 172 mk2
Gaz Sport said:
I have got it fitted in a fashion... I wouldn’t recommend any 1 getting 1 for there 172 phase 2 it just doesn’t fit right :(
The main problem is a connection that fits into the back of the light cluster... I’m going to modify the pipe to fit with some Samco hosing or something... haven’t thought it through yet but I will prevail!
Also the 90 degree bend it is supplied with is very short and could do with lengthening to help it fit, I think the best solution if any body wants a similar setup is to make it them selves by buying bends and lengths of tubing and sticking a cone filter on the end (Some 1 mentioned this before).

The good news is that it sounds nice :) and is nice and responsive.

I will get some pics up tonight, I didn’t have time last night as girl friend was b*tching at me cos its orange Wednesdays and she wanted to watch Xmen 3 lol

Sounds good...at least yo got it to fit in the end.

I did see another thread on these things....I suggested buying Samco and making one up.

Ex Ph-Quick
HI gaz sorry mate just got your pm about this kit. yeah whn k&N fitted mine they said there would be a problem when fitting it to a MK2 I cant remember exactly what he said. Sound is still amazing I always put the window down to hear it better =D

Pics of mine

Photo-0124.jpg

Photo-0123.jpg

Clio 172 mk2
That looks pretty good

I take it the problem with the fitting is the bracket at the filter end to stop it moving about?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Tbh , i can't see any advantage in the typhoon . Its just a standard k+n cotton air filter on the end of a long tube and probably costs hell of alot of money as well .

I have a k+n air filter , £30 new off ebay , in an aluminium enclosure with both the original air feeds . I've had it on a few weeks now and i'm very happy with it , sounds good when you boot it , nice deep roar , and pulls as hard if not harder than with the standard air box and filter .I'm pretty sure it will be getting just as much cold air as with the typhoon.

KN5aSmall.jpg

KN3aMedium.jpg

KN4aSmall.jpg

Clio 172 mk2
Not a bad looking setup although I feel the gains over the std box with panel will be very marginal.

182 Full Fat
Nice idea, although if you replace youe acoustic valve and piping with a set-up like this, I feel you would get more cold air to where it is needed. This is my cold air feed set up. Pipe is bigger 85 mm compared with 58mm standard

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152583&highlight=air+feed

I now have heat shield too, which I will post pics up of later. I can't see that I am really losing any power to heat soak anymore as the filter is never hot (warm at the most). But I also get the great induction roar!! :evil:

Nick :sleepy:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
clidge said:
yeah mate where did you get that enclosure from cheers

I made it myself . Can't be arsed removing the acoustic valve ,i've read posts were people have removed it and its made no difference , but i might replace the other cold air feed with a larger diameter one when i get some time .I might even get a video up oneday so you can hear the sound . I'm a bit busy for the next couple of weeks then off on me hols so its havin the time to get round to doin it .

182 Full Fat
MRBILLYUK said:
I made it myself . Can't be arsed removing the acoustic valve ,i've read posts were people have removed it and its made no difference , but i might replace the other cold air feed with a larger diameter one when i get some time .I might even get a video up oneday so you can hear the sound . I'm a bit busy for the next couple of weeks then off on me hols so its havin the time to get round to doin it .

Only reason i removed it was to free up space to fit larger air feed. No difference by removing it. But a small improvement on low down acceleration (im talking minimal) but better than before since fittng this feed. Plus sounds marginally louder!! :dead:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
nelson182 said:
Only reason i removed it was to free up space to fit larger air feed. No difference by removing it. But a small improvement on low down acceleration (im talking minimal) but better than before since fittng this feed. Plus sounds marginally louder!! :dead:

I can see why you removed the acoustic valve , you'd need the extra room with the large diameter airfeed .