ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec Gearbox Mount Problem - See post No112

TrackCar & F30 330d
Hi guys,

I'm 99% sure this is the right way to mount the gearbox mount.

Please tell me where i am going wrong as the part in the second picture rattles around when its all done up tight.

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

Obviously the bolts go in the side but i just laid it out as i had put it on the car.

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks

340i
Re: K-tec Gearbox Mount Problem

I am sure I fitted mine differently, it goes on the way it's tie wrapped together ;)

think it's together in the right order - is the centre bolt that it all sits over tight? it tightens into a nut underneath

ed. lol. difference of opinion! i can't remember to be 100%, but yours is in the same order of assembly as the picture shown on KTEC's site

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d

This is what it looked like when i fitted it the first time

IMG_3994.jpg

But the little black washer thing which went on first rattled around and thats deffently not right.

I cant put my old gearbox mount on either as it was f*cked

IMG_3990.jpg

not happy!

that's about the right amount of thread exposed on the middle bolt - odd

this contradicts above, but could it be that you've got something trapped ontop of the gearbox that's not allowing it to be pulled up as far as it should?

TrackCar & F30 330d

that's about the right amount of thread exposed on the middle bolt - odd

this contradicts above, but could it be that you've got something trapped ontop of the gearbox that's not allowing it to be pulled up as far as it should?

Hmmmm i dont think there is anything trapped as the bolt wont tighten up any more as the bit silver dics is eating into the bit where the thread ends on the bolt/shaft

IMG_4005.jpg

Iceberg Ph1

I have no idea on how this goes together, but I can't believe this to be the right amount of thread exposer as Henry said above, correct me if I am wrong but that is a locking nut, the nylon ring is not covering the threads so this wouldn't be enough to lock the nut off.. Odd indeed, I'd give K Tec a call when their open

Edit: Looking at the pic with the smaller rubber, it looks a lot thinner then the one shown on the K Tec website? Perhaps that maybe the issue?

Edit x 2: Ignore the first edit, I noticed on another thread this looks the same... Strange

Last edited:

it might be worth searching for pictures on here to see if anyone else has posted something similar; the nut doesn't cover as many threads as it should, but not sure how this one compares with the typical (ed. thinking/typing too slowly!)

have you tried it with the black washer up the other way around? as i recall, its inner circ is bevelled on one side

Iceberg Ph1

I'd PM and see what they said.. TBH as much as it makes no sense, maybe that lower washer has some movement in it, I'd guess not many people who had fitted theirs actually checked what you have been having an issue with, as long as the bush is sitting over the bolt and it tightened down as much as it can go this setup should hold together

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

The first black washer you put on needs to be pressed all the way down, it'll be really tight but with a bit of brute force you should be able to get it all the way down.

Then simply bolt it all to the engine mount and offer it up.

Once it's all lined up insert the top hat style washer and if it doesnt protrude enough jack the gearbox up some more.

TrackCar & F30 330d

I tryed searching for other peoples pictures before i fitted it and couldnt really find any.

The rubber washer is not just moving a little its not doing anything at all.

I tryed placing the washer both ways round as one side was tapers a little but they both didnt make a difference.

Can anyone find any more pics of the mounts fitted?

TrackCar & F30 330d

The first black washer you put on needs to be pressed all the way down, it'll be really tight but with a bit of brute force you should be able to get it all the way down.

Once it's all lined up insert the top hat style washer and if it doesnt protrude enough jack the gearbox up some more.

I did excactly what you have said. Jacked the engine up so the whole mount was tight and tightened the bolt up as much as it would go. Deffently would not do up any more as the big silver top hat was as low as it would go and the bolt as tight as it would go.

When i let the enigne down the mount sort of dropped and the rubber washer was loose again.

My flat mates tryed workign it out too and we'r sure something is machine incorrectly.

Could be wrong tho :S

Iceberg Ph1

This could solve your issue..

Edit (again): Beat me too it.. But did you jack the gearbox or the engine?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Interestingly on there web page it doesn't actually show the lower black washer?

You seem to have them the right way round and like you say the actual metal bush in the rubber mount is tapered on one side so that the top hat washer fits in.

I honestly can't see where the problem lies unless you have a different gearbox mount (the half that attaches to the gearbox with a shorter threaded bit).

When it's light in the morn I'll have another look at mine but I'm positive it's identical to how you have yours and your right the threaded bolt doesnt protrude very far through certainly not enought to hit the nyloc part of the nut

sorry if you've already answered this - did you make sure the centre bolt is tightened into the nut underneath (accessible from wheelarch only)?

jacking it up 'shouldn't' make any odds, as tightening it all up should pull it together anyway

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

Have you tried taking the weight of the gearbox with a trolley jack, the removing the upper section of the gearbox mount (the OE renault bracket that bolts to the inner wing) then place the ktec mount on it and see how far it goes on, at least that way you'll have a better view and it might give you a better idea as to whether the bolt is to short or if theres an alternative problem.

Your gonna have to take the upper half off anyway to bolt the mount to the upper bracket.

TrackCar & F30 330d

I had pushed the gearbox up with the trolly jack so it would no longer move any higher and tightened all the bolts up as much as they would go.

It drove fine and felt good but at 6-7k i herd a loud vibrating sound coming from the gearbox mount. Upon fiddeling around it with my fingers i could feel the black washer was loose but the mount was as tight as possiable.

53 Clio's & counting

Are you sure its the black piece rattling?

I had a problem with mine where after i fitted it, the nut on the bottom of the stud worked loose, and i thought it was the mount, so just check that first mate?

Ph1

Going by the above pictures, iv put the outer 2 bolts through the top and screwed the nuts via underneath as per the stock Renault mount.

Does it matter which way the bolts / nuts face ? :eek:

53 Clio's & counting

As far as im aware mate it doesnt make any difference, iv run both ways and not noticed any difference

RS RIP

sorry if you've already answered this - did you make sure the centre bolt is tightened into the nut underneath (accessible from wheelarch only)?

jacking it up 'shouldn't' make any odds, as tightening it all up should pull it together anyway

This ?

TrackCar & F30 330d

I'm going to have another go at it thismorning. If the black washers still seems loose i will ring K-tec :(

RS RIP

^^ any luck ?

When looking at all of the pics (also from other people) how the nut cannot be tightened enough to reach the plastic threadlock it just does'nt seem right !

Ph1

How can the washer rattle when its a snug fit to the bolt ? :S Cant see how it would be physically possible to rattle

M

mini-valver

Take the whole mount off, i.e the cast peice that originally has the battery mounted to it and check the nut on the bottom of the stud as has been said!

53 Clio's & counting

Mine has come loose so many times im taking by battery tray and mount off soon to check it all

you don't need to take the tray out to sort the nut - just use the flats on the bolt to unscrew it from the nut (get a ring spanner on the nut from the wheelarch, just to hold it) - then threadlock it back on. mine's been fine since having done that

182cup & 172 racecar

I had the same problem as this,when I tried to tighten it all up you can see where the nut is pressing into the alloy as in one of the pic's on here.I resorted to grinding the alloy tube down this did the job.Yes I did put it together as it came and it just would not fit,I even had the whole lot out of the car.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Maybe K-tec should be commenting on this.

I'm looking at fitting Group N mounts to my Ph1 but this gives me doubts!

53 Clio's & counting

Hmmm, mine went on fine, maybe there are some variances betweem kits?

TrackCar & F30 330d

I FOUND THE PROBLEM

The top hat i have been sent was machined incorrectly. I spoke to sean from K-Tec on Friday and he has said thats what he thinks the problem is.

The top hat i have is 15mm thick and it should be around 12mm thick. Its not a big problem for me and i could grind it so its fits correctly, but sean said he is speaking to Vibratechniques (cant spell the name) and will sort it out for the rest of the mounts so no one will be sent a incorrect mount.

I knew it wasnt right but at least its getting sorted. Should know more about it on Monday :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Post No 7,you can see the problem,it won't tighten together as the nut is touching the alloy plate.
Forget all that now then.

Chrsipy,this is what I had to do,it was the only thing I could think it could be as I had tried everything else.Phew I did the right thing then.