ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Racing enter the Tin Top fray.

182cup & 172 racecar
Nasty, schoolboy error though, always tap the brake pedal with your left foot to make sure the pads are in position.

I don't charge much.;)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Donington race report.

My very first race. After setting up in the paddock on Friday night, Stuart and I returned to the paddock for 6:30 Saturday morning. First job was to walk the circuit. After that it was time to check the car over prior to qualifying. We have had a few niggles with the car over the last few weeks, starting mainly, but had no idea that it was the crank sensor that was failing! 5 mins before the start of qualifying a replacement sensor was kindly lent by a member of the Burpspeed team and fitted in time to join the text of the tin tops in assembly.
Got my mandatory 3 laps done without drama, then pushed on, only for the safety car to come out. After that, got 1 more good lap before coming in for our driver change.
Stuart did a great job of qualifying us 20th. Even more amazing as we had no settings for the dampers and they were on full soft!

Based on feedback and a little experience, the team then set about dialling in the dampers and fitting the new crank sensor we purchased during qualifying. The borrowed item was then refitted to the donor car by Stuart.

It was decided that i do the first stint in the race as i do have some experience of getting a Clio off the line. First start was aborted after one lap due to red flag. Second start went well as I had had a practice by then. Up to 16th on lap 1. Several incidents followed including another safety car incident which partially blocked the chicane. At one point after the safety car I was up to 2nd, then out came the pit board for driver change. The change went as smoothly as rehearsals in the paddock and Stuart went out. As the field sorted itself out after all the stops were done, we were 3rd overall, but the faster cars were closing in. In the final few laps Stuart was having a great tussle with James for 5th. We then attracted the attention of the Proton, which made some very ambitious attempts to get past, including an all 4 wheels off lunge going down Craner. Then finally, just after starting the last lap, the Clio's brake pedal went to the floor while braking for Redgate, and we ended up in the gravel.

A fantastic first event, with what might have been pushing us on to the next event. Thanks to everyone who said hello, the guy that lent us his crank sensor and the team, who did a brilliant job all day.

Should have some pics to post tomorrow. Look forward to seeing James in car footage, which will show what the Proton was upto.

Well done to all the Clio's on the day. A great result.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
No worries about the crank sensor! ;)

Good first race for you guys, apart from near the end! Look forward to seeing racing with all you guys next year!

Nick

Cheers Nick, top bloke. You are welcome in the paddock anytime. Pop in anytime you are there. ;-)

Great write up Andrew! Shame didn't get chance to say hi

I thought it was you in the car that I was racing not Stuart until I realised at the end. Was good fun and I will get the footage up on Tuesday when I get home, I watched it last night and it shows the Cassar incident very clearly.

Well done again and see you at Oulton :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Great write up Andrew! Shame didn't get chance to say hi

I thought it was you in the car that I was racing not Stuart until I realised at the end. Was good fun and I will get the footage up on Tuesday when I get home, I watched it last night and it shows the Cassar incident very clearly.

Well done again and see you at Oulton :)

We did say hi, I came over to ask you about the auxiliary belt problem and you showed me the broken adjuster! Your ears have probably been burning this afternoon, as I've been to see Fred to pick up some panels!

Fred, nice to meet you and have a chat. Hope to see you out at Oulton. :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Ohh really sorry about that Andrew my head was all over the place! Haha very good! How bad's the damage? Hope it's not too bad!

No worries, could tell you were on a mission! Car is on the jig tomorrow, but mostly superficial. Hence trip to see Fred for a door and a couple of wings he had (just in case).

Thanks mate well I will look forward to seeing you and having more of a chat at Oulton then :) Yes needed to have a good weekend after all the problems in the last few months :) Good old Fred to the rescue! I hope everything straightens out okay! I guess i'm lucky I only need a bumper, an aerocatch and a bit of vinyl wrap lol :)

172 Race Car
KTR11.jpg

KTR10.jpg

KTR9.jpg

KTR8.jpg

KTR7.jpg

KTR6.jpg

KTR5.jpg

KTR4.jpg

KTR3.jpg

KTR2.jpg

KTR1.jpg

2Wheels.png

Many thanks to Darren for the above pictures from the day.
fixed pics for you

Be my guest. I'm looking forward to your footage of the Proton.:eek:
Thank you :)! The full vid should be on the FB page tonight or will be on here with the write up tomorrow! The proton somehow went off circuit mid apex at craners and then was out of control it seems and then into the side of stuart pretty hard :(

WRX
I think he just was on the wrong side to start with, then just understeered off and just mowed the lawn until old hairpin iirc. Unless he was just trying to outdo James's Rallycross action.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
After the ram raid by the Proton going down Craner we got the car on the Jig today. Here are some pictures of the resulting damage.

URL]

URL]

This was the result of a nudge going into the chicane, just before the brake failure going into Redgate on the final lap.

URL]

The o/s/f tyre took the brunt of the spin and is scrap. 2 new tyres needed for Oulton Park.

URL]

The trip to the gravel trap also filled the car with gravel. It’s everywhere. We do need to check the bell housing as there is a funny noise coming from that area and we don’t want to risk it. The next week should see the Clio transformed back to its former glory. Updates will follow.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
It looks worse now than it did at the circuit. Stuart may have taken his frustration out on it a bit more! LOL

E46 M3
After the ram raid by the Proton going down Craner we got the car on the Jig today. Here are some pictures of the resulting damage.

doningtondamage.jpg

doningtondamage4.jpg

This was the result of a nudge going into the chicane, just before the brake failure going into Redgate on the final lap.

doningtondamage3.jpg

The o/s/f tyre took the brunt of the spin and is scrap. 2 new tyres needed for Oulton Park.

doningtondamage2.jpg

The trip to the gravel trap also filled the car with gravel. It’s everywhere. We do need to check the bell housing as there is a funny noise coming from that area and we don’t want to risk it. The next week should see the Clio transformed back to its former glory. Updates will follow.

Fixed pics

182cup & 172 racecar
Wow, that does look like it's had a day at the races.

Just watched James vid, that craner curve stuff is well out of order from the proton

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Can I ask with Regards to tin top's Racing I fully understand that there will be bumps and nudges in racing but when you get wiped out by somebody else's poor driving or error can they be held responsible to fix the damage or does it work like track days where your responsible to have insurance cover?