ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Racing enter the Tin Top fray.

Clio 172
Not a chance fella, its racing lol. If you get wiped out they will get points on their licence and you go and try to repair/salvage your car.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Can I ask with Regards to tin top's Racing I fully understand that there will be bumps and nudges in racing but when you get wiped out by somebody else's poor driving or error can they be held responsible to fix the damage or does it work like track days where your responsible to have insurance cover?

Regrettably not, the buck stops here! However, the driver responsible received an official reprimand for their driving and points on their race license.

Lionel Richie
what happens though if you take a sledge hammer to their car in the paddock afterwards, that's not a racing incident is it?

Lionel Richie
its a phs1 shell just so you know (different headlight area, but i've got all the phs2 bits to weld on a la cup racers) yours isn't that knackered i hope!

Clio.
Sorry chaps, but if the driver of the proton was reprimanded at the circuit for the official offence, than that should be enough...?
The racing world is still very close, and the Internet is a powerful tool.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Sorry chaps, but if the driver of the proton was reprimanded at the circuit for the official offence, than that should be enough...?
The racing world is still very close, and the Internet is a powerful tool.

The matter was indeed dealt with at the circuit and that's the end of it. Our intention is to beat him fair and square next time we get chance. Given that it was so difficult with our car standard, I'm sure it will be more so after our engine and gearbox upgrade over the winter :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
its a phs1 shell just so you know (different headlight area, but i've got all the phs2 bits to weld on a la cup racers) yours isn't that knackered i hope!

Pretty bad! Depends how much the shell would be, as we are planning a complete strip and rebuild over winter and it might be easier into a fresh shell than to make further repairs to this one?

Clio 172 Cup Racer
The Clio is back up and running. The damage has been repaired, new door fitted and it's been painted. Just need some new decals and it's good as new. On the mechanical side, all the gravel gas been removed, the bellhousing clean our and the cam timing checked.
All we need now are 2 new tyres and a full car spanner check and we are ready for Oulton. Hope to see a lot of you there again. Especially as we have garages for Oulton. :)

The Clio is back up and running. The damage has been repaired, new door fitted and it's been painted. Just need some new decals and it's good as new. On the mechanical side, all the gravel gas been removed, the bellhousing clean our and the cam timing checked.
All we need now are 2 new tyres and a full car spanner check and we are ready for Oulton. Hope to see a lot of you there again. Especially as we have garages for Oulton. :)
Cracking news Andrew :) Didn't think you guys would hang around with getting it sorted! See you at Oulton and thank god about the garages

Clio 172 Cup Racer
It’s been an eventful week for AWS Racing. The highs and lows of Donington seem a long time ago now. Anyway, after a dash down to see Fred at BTM on Sunday (thanks for the door and wings Fred), the Clio was loaded onto the jig on Monday afternoon. Once we Stuart got the door open, the full extent of the damage became apparent. The outer sill was flattened against the inner sill which had also been pushed in. The A pillar was approx. ¾ inch in and the B pillar was also across and back. Stuart has to cut a hole in the sill and weld a plate onto the inner, before pulling both with the jig to bring them back to where they should be. Once back into shape, the plate was cut off the sill and the hole welded up.

repair2_zps4771e24f.jpg
[/IMG]

Heres the before I posted a few days ago:

doningtondamage4.jpg
[/IMG]

And the afters:

repair1_zpsd49f55f6.jpg
[/IMG]

repair3_zps7ff63ae2.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see, the side skirt will never be the same again, but will be replaced over the winter, along with the sill.

The other issue we had with the car was all the gravel it collected. We started and ran the car briefly at Donington, but after the noises it made shut it off again. It had been mentioned that gravel can get into the bell housing through a small gap between the engine and gearbox. This in turn could, and has in the past, jammed the crank while the engine is running and thrown the timing, causing valves to meet pistons! The bell housing has been checked for gravel and some has been removed. Stuart also checked the cam timing with the Renault tool and turned the engine over with the plugs out just to be sure. After all that was done, the engine was started. Sounds as sweet as before.
Now I’m just waiting for the care package I ordered from K-Tec today to arrive and with a couple more days, will be ready to go again.
Many thanks to Stuart for putting in the hours to get us back up and running again so quickly.

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Cracking news Andrew :) Didn't think you guys would hang around with getting it sorted! See you at Oulton and thank god about the garages

Thanks. Stuart didn't rest until we were back in shape. Gutted for him as a top 10 finish in our first race would have been cracking. 13 o/a is still pretty good though. IMO! Just caught up on your thread James. PMSL at Fred's advice, but he's right!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Now I’m just waiting for the care package I ordered from K-Tec today to arrive and with a couple more days, will be ready to go again.
Many thanks to Stuart for putting in the hours to get us back up and running again so quickly.

Ooo whats in the care package ?

What cage are you using a ktec one or SD ?

Cheers

Clio 172 Cup Racer
The matter was indeed dealt with at the circuit and that's the end of it. Our intention is to beat him fair and square next time we get chance. Given that it was so difficult with our car standard, I'm sure it will be more so after our engine and gearbox upgrade over the winter :)

Ooo whats in the care package ?

What cage are you using a ktec one or SD ?

Cheers

SD came with the car.

Care package included oil filter, wheel spacers, induction kit and 2 new tyres. We should have another 3bhp for Oulton. :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Spent today prepping the car ready for Oulton Park, which is only 2 weeks today. While checking over the back brakes and removing all the gravel that has got everywhere, I noticed something was missing! The inside pad of the o/s rear brake was missing. The piston had come out to meet the disc, but not quite made it. (whew) Coincidentally, this was the corner that was nudged going into the chicane just before Stuart went off, due to a lack of brake pedal. The bit of the back panel that covers the rear of the wheel arch has also been pushed in.

A new set of pagid pads and fitting kit have gone on today. Just a quick bleed of the brakes and we should be mechanically sorted.

Also fitted the K-Tec Racing induction kit, which, conveniently, came with an orange silicone hose. Oil and filter have been changed and everything cleaned and inspected.

Just waiting for the sign writer to get back off holiday so we can get the vinyls re done and you wouldn't know we'd had such an eventful first race.