ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

k tec Stealth baffle failure?

clio 172, pulsar, evo
Hi guys,

Ive got a 14 month old k tec stealth system on the car. The cars done 8k since fitted and i think the baffles have now collapsed! At certain speeds the resonation is horrific. sounds like a motor bike is right up my arse. Any thing less than 30 its fine. 40mph is the worst. Anyone else had this? What can i do?
thanks

clio 172, pulsar, evo
Yea, i think i have the guarantee somewhere... wasnt sure if it had to be fitted by them to validate it... ill give them a bell and see what they say. I was just seeing if anyone else had experienced any problems with the stealth and if this does sound like baffles.
cheers mate :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My centre section baffles went, sounded good when you hammer it but when you lift off or driving normally its sounded awful. It will be covered by their lifetime warranty if you bought it from them, if you got it second hand then will need to buy a new centre as the warranty is non-transferrable.

clio 172, pulsar, evo
Ok, i phoned k tec. the guys couldnt be nicer. its not a problem to get a new section. I just need to determine if its the center or rear. trouble is.. it doesnt do it when standing still. it needs load on it and i cant tell where the noise is comming from when im driving! lol

clio 172, pulsar, evo
Right, i guess ill have to try that, it needs to come off anyway i guess. I tried shaking it on the car but it does nothing.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No worries, mine had a retarded resinance at 3k, aweful sounding!

Fabia vRS
No worries, mine had a retarded resinance at 3k, aweful sounding!

Mine is exactly the same as gez-kev, a horrible resonance at 3k, exactly the engine speed when you're on the motorway doing 70 :mad:. It sounds good around town though with a nice burble. I've been meaning to get rid of it for nearly a year now but can't yet afford the £350 plus for the sh*tty OEM system.

Check out this emormous thread on the problem.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419408
K-Tec will refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with them, especially since they advertise it as a replaement for the OEM system, and a system that quote "will not become too intrusive a motorway speeds". Maybe this is the case if you already have tinnitus.

Ph1
Very happy with mine. No issues with the noise. Only really use the car for long hauls and its great. Old Magnex used to really drone on the ears this is peace compared !

Fabia vRS
Very happy with mine. No issues with the noise. Only really use the car for long hauls and its great. Old Magnex used to really drone on the ears this is peace compared !

Your magnex must have made you deaf before you bought the k-tec! :rasp:

Fabia vRS
BTB for me 100%!!

Is the BTB any good gaz-kev? I remember from the main thread about k-tec stealth noise that you had one and you got rid of it cos its dreadful drone annoyed and embarrassed you. That's what i've been meaning to do for a while but was so not inclined to by OEM cos of its sh*t quality. If the BTB is a quiet stainless equivalent to the OEM that doesn't annoy or embarrass you then i'm chuffed, it's what i've been searching for for over a year! I trust you are a good source for comparison! :approve:

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
anyone with vibration, it's worth checking your heatshieled before writing off the exhaust, they shields tear where they're bolted through all the time, and they can sit on the exhaust

Sprint 172
Is the BTB any good gaz-kev? I remember from the main thread about k-tec stealth noise that you had one and you got rid of it cos its dreadful drone annoyed and embarrassed you. That's what i've been meaning to do for a while but was so not inclined to by OEM cos of its sh*t quality. If the BTB is a quiet stainless equivalent to the OEM that doesn't annoy or embarrass you then i'm chuffed, it's what i've been searching for for over a year! I trust you are a good source for comparison! :approve:

The BTB certainly won't annoy or embarrass you! Mine is just a deep rumble. The videos on the www.stealth4clio.co.uk give an idea of noise levels. Whilst it's never going to be OE noise wise, it's a well built, sensible option for those of us who like to keep things quiet. Does take a few miles to bed in though.

Ph1
Your magnex must have made you deaf before you bought the k-tec! :rasp:

WHAT?, WHAT YOU SAY... ?? ;) :D

Nah seriously, if you think the Ktec's bad the Magnex was on another planet.
I can have the Radio volume under 5 and still comfortably hear the tunes plus it only really comes to life under load or high revs.

As Danny said, could be worth checking the heat shielding or the general fit plus cat / manifold probs or any blowing from the joins.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

If you want near o.e noise i'd have a chat to Fred off here. Apparently the Yozza Stealth is direct replacement in terms of fit AND noise. I've never heard one, but you can trust Fred! The BTB imo will be a little fruity, i had one on my 182, was a bloody good exhaust though! I went o.e, as i knew what i was getting, but it cracks and twangs like fook when hot on idle lol!

Black Gold Trophy
I fitted a second hand k-tec stealth for a member on here and it had a terrible rattle which sounded like the heatshield touching the resonator, when he took it to powerflow they told him the baffles had gone and made him up a new silencer

PH1 172 Sport
Mines started to chuck the wire wool type sound proofing out the back as there was a bit hanging out the exhaust the other day.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Could be a hairline crack in one of the silencers?

I had my centre section split around the middle, sounded a bit louder en route to a trackday, had a look under the car but couldn't see anything wrong.

Spent all morning giving it death and it was getting louder and louder, come lunchtime there was a split just visible around the centre silencer box.

Carried on for the rest of the day and by the end the split was wide enough for a £2 coin to fit through...the 150 mile drive home made my ears bleed.

Called K-Tec, they said bring it in, and swapped it for a new centre section under warranty, no quibble.

Not bad service considering it was 5 years old and had covered almost 90,000 miles!

DMS

A thirsty 172
5 years and 90,000 miles is pretty impressive. I bet most cars would need a new exhaust after that long anyway!

PH1 172 Sport
I've been told my Stealth is louder than normal. What's best way to check the exhaust over?

Did you ever find out how to check it over as mine appears to be getting louder and I'm not sure what to be looking for other than blows.