ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo172 coilovers - raising ride height

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
I’m having a bit of trouble with the front suspension on my kangoo172.

the cup shocks and springs I had on it were too low and caused some scrubbing on track.

the Koni struts and stiffer springs I replaced them with are even lower, I should have checked before purchasing!

as the kangoo strut tops are higher than on a clio, it effectively lowers the ride height. (This is my guess, please correct me if you know better)

Does anyone know of any coilovers that can equal or raise the height of a 172?

cheers,
Tim

Attachments

• 6F0A2EB3-F62E-479E-A597-163D77731347.jpeg
    6F0A2EB3-F62E-479E-A597-163D77731347.jpeg
    987.6 KB · Views: 125

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Cheers, Craig,

do they lower the ride height, the GHA’s are listed as starting at -25mm compared to standard?

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Bilstien B14 AW Motorworks sorted the springs for me.

cheers, mine is going in to Alex soon for a turbo conversion, he alsoreplied to this thread on Facebook saying that someone got custom springs, I‘lol probably go down that route as it’s going in to him next month anyway

Thanks

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine was ok on cup shocks and mark fish eibach springs, you need the bumpstops fitted or it will catch.

Best off spacing the front wing out a bit on the lower mounting point, and shave the arch lip. -2.5deg neg camber helped too, assuming you have plenty dialled in with it used on track.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mine was ok on cup shocks and mark fish eibach springs, you need the bumpstops fitted or it will catch.

Best off spacing the front wing out a bit on the lower mounting point, and shave the arch lip. -2.5deg neg camber helped too, assuming you have plenty dialled in with it used on track.
I have this set up (because @Brigsy is a f**king legend!) and other than hitting a big bump on track mid corner, the front never rubs.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I used to put mine on 2 wheels on the apex on track and no rubbing, apart from destroying the os bumpstop at Blyton on the large kerb at the ump :LOL: Was hilarious, miss flogging it round the track

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172

Cheers Brigsy, I was hoping you’d spot this one, I loved reading through your build thread mate.

I’ll give that a go mate, what ET wheels were you using?

ET35 is too high, 38 is on the margin and 43 seems to fit much nicer up front

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cheers Brigsy, I was hoping you’d spot this one, I loved reading through your build thread mate.

I’ll give that a go mate, what ET wheels were you using?

ET35 is too high, 38 is on the margin and 43 seems to fit much nicer up front

Cheers mate, miss the old kangoo a little bit to be fair.

Mine was on cup 172 suspension up front. rear arch lips were rolled flat, gaz clio 16v shocks on the back, drum beam with 10mm spacers.

I initially had cup turinis on et38.5 from memory, caught so clearanced the arches, added -2.5deg camber and spaced wings out/ground the arch and bumper lip which give just enough clearance.
FE7A7B1C-4146-41E1-A72D-9203EADB43DA.jpeg

Had clio williams wheels on briefly with 195/50/15 and et36 from memory, done Cadwell and was catching a little bit up front.

After that i bought a set of cup racer offset 2118s et38 7j, was ok on Ad08r 195/50/15. I reckon the square wall of a proper semi slick might have caused issues, but never got that far.
27DFFB16-B5F6-4798-AFCB-199D1C9AA91D.jpeg

Sold it to my mate, and he had all the plans to use it, and sadly all i see is it sat on his drive all day every day. Shame really but the Kangoo compact has took its place, which should be next level when done.

Kangoo 172
Cheers, Craig,

do they lower the ride height, the GHA’s are listed as starting at -25mm compared to standard?

This is pretty much where I have them set at, the van is lower but no scrubbing although not been on track with it yet.

EBD5A62B-5998-423A-9606-751ADFBC3C8E.jpeg

73B9080E-7DAA-4C6A-8B68-F6807425F490.jpeg

Have had to play around with spacers to get it right. Spec is ph1 front subframe, wishbones and hubs with 16mm spacers. Rear lowered to match with 5mm stub axle spacer, discs and 10mm wheel spacer.

Last edited:

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Cheers for the input guys,

mover the next week or so I’ll try the following

roll the arches
Refit the cup shocks
Fit camber bolts
Refit solid top mounts

Hopefully this should all work out!

I’ll update the thread when I’m done

cheers again guys 👍😜

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
How come 16mm spacers up front, is ph1 track narrower than ph2 cup? I didnt run spacers at all on the front, was not possible.

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
How come 16mm spacers up front, is ph1 track narrower than ph2 cup? I didnt run spacers at all on the front, was not possible.

I know its a little later answer, but probably 16mm because the Cup subframe have the wishbone fix point 8mm more outside than ph1 172 and early ph2 172 and the oz f1 offset (if i remember correctly) are et43

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Cheers Alexandre

quick update as I forgot about this!

no matter what combination I tried, I couldn’t stop it scrubbing under heavy load. I’ve ended up getting a set of BC coilovers and adjustable top mounts which are great.

The current problem is that Rodney tried to make a run for it while I put the new turbo kit through it’s paces. Alex (AWMotorworks) did warn me the engine wasn’t the greatest, and he was right, 700miles with a turbo and it was all over!

I have a forged engine ready to go in, and combined with an updated fuel system it should make track days this year a bit more fun!

Attachments

• 350F6AF0-9A16-4FA8-AB40-3B5A56260563.jpeg
    350F6AF0-9A16-4FA8-AB40-3B5A56260563.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
  • C6A90D2D-E211-4440-A1AE-D8BBB20A0EEB.jpeg
    C6A90D2D-E211-4440-A1AE-D8BBB20A0EEB.jpeg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 93

alexandre.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio K4T
Cheers Alexandre

no matter what combination I tried, I couldn’t stop it scrubbing under heavy load. I’ve ended up getting a set of BC coilovers and adjustable top mounts which are great.

The current problem is that Rodney tried to make a run for it while I put the new turbo kit through it’s paces. Alex (AWMotorworks) did warn me the engine wasn’t the greatest, and he was right, 700miles with a turbo and it was all over!

I have a forged engine ready to go in, and combined with an updated fuel system it should make track days this year a bit more fun!

Nice, BC coilover works fine with rear Gaz damper? or should be better with Gaz coilover on front?

Im looking for a Kangoo to put my 1.6 turbo and the front cup subframe, wishbone, arb and hubs

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Rear dampers are just standard ones, it handled well on the 800miles I did before the engine blew!

they are good vehicles, the handling feels like a slightly too heavy clio

Ben perry

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
Cheers Alexandre

Was a good day yesterday how you get on was gutted we didn’t get a chance to get on track together !!