ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep 172 or buy 197....?

Hi everyone

I have just about finished the 02 reg 172 i bought to get back up to standard. Nice car 1 owner 81k miles now has new tyres exhaust and a few other bits, looks like a really good example now.

Question is do i spend £600 ish having cambelt, depahser, water pump done or sell as car is and buy a 197? Anyone who has done just this can you advise which way i should go...

Car wouldnt be a daily driver, just a toy for weekends etc.

Thanks

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Keep the 172. 197 is great but it doesn't have that over-engined feel of the older cars, it's just a bit less exciting.

If anything, the 197 is FAR more over engineered than the 1*2. The swivel hubs for example, 4 pot brakes etc etc.

Listerine & Poledo
"I've just fixed up this rattly old french can to stop some of the rattles...should I buy another, slightly newer but still old one which'll have a whole world of its own problems to fix, all over again"

At least the 172 can't really lose any more value too!

PH2 RS172
^ha ha very good. if we are all on the same wavelength i assume he means the 172 engine feels like its ott for the bean can mk2 clio its fitted in, where as the 197 engine feels right at home in a mk3? i love the mk2s overpoweringly unsafe tin can feel.... they never get boring to drive thats for sure.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Sorry my mistake, I did read it as over engineered. Never heard the phrase over engined!

Clio 197
I have a 197 , had a 172 cup and 182, 197 is slower (understandable and well documented) , however I enjoy the handling of the 197 (in standard form , non cup) over the 1*2.

IMHO the 197 feels much more stable and planted (172 had eibach springs and 182 had cooksports)

Listerine & Poledo
So, not at all comparable then?
A stock 172 takes a whole world of r****d before it starts to unstick itself...

...doesn't stop some people though lol

Thanks everyone for replies!
Decided i am going to go down the route of buying a really nice 197 (white or liquid yellow ideally) and use it as my daily driver instead of having 2 cars!
So the 172 is for sale now...
02 reg in Pearl Black, one owner from new till July 2015, 81k miles. It has just had a full refresh including 4 new tyres, new cat back exhaust, New windscreen, sump gasket, full service and lots of other little detail parts. Completely standard apart from pressed legal number plates. Just been valeted and paint protected to keep her looking perfect. Looking for £1500 ono for it. Located in Bridlington, East Yorkshire. Just message me if you are interested.
Thanks
Ash

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Not long til that as gets removed I wouldn't imagine! Need to be a member to sell mate.

PH2 RS172
makes sense dude. 197 is a lot of car to have sitting around all week doing nothing. the 197 is the daily driver imo. got a mate looking for one atm. at some point ill switch from 172 to a 197. ill defo miss the rawness of the 172 though when i do but a bit of comfort for a slight lack in aggression is no bad thing lol ;-)