ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep 182 or lease new Fiesta ST?

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Hi all, opinions wanted.

Option 1 - Keep my Clio (First Petrol Blue in U.K, 60k miles, eibach springs, pure motorsport top mounts and brace, whiteline arb plus RS192, induction and other bits and bobs.) Costing with fuel, bills, insurance etc. around £400/month to run

Option 2 - Get a new 2013 Fiesta ST-2 in molten orange with orange Recaro seats, sat nav, ST pack (dark wheels, illuminated sill covers and red calipers), automatic air con through a lease scheme via salary sacrifice at work (which includes insurance and legal cover, servicing and maintainence (including tyres, bulbs, wipers etc.)) costing about £510/month to run (for everything including fuel) with the added bonus of having the cash from the sale of the Clio to put towards the payment bringing it to the same (or less) without any nasty bills round the corner.

I won't own the fiesta but the Clio is depreciating and so I'll only be £1500 worse off in 3 years and will then get to chose a new car again and carry on. I still love the Clio and it's rarity but would need the cash to make the difference in the payments.

I looked at the Clio 200T but that gearbox :mad:

What to do?

Nissan 350z
If you can afford the payments then there is no right/wrong answer its all down to your preference at the end of the day. Do what you want, you're the one who has to live with it afterall.

My opinion: If you have never experienced owning a new car before and the oppertunity has arisen i say go for it.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Hard choice as the ST is very nice indeed. That said I'd like to bet the price of petrol blue 182s will go up due to the rarity in a few years time. Could always SORN and dry store it?

PB 182 (1 of 29)
If you can afford the payments then there is no right/wrong answer its all down to your preference at the end of the day. Do what you want, you're the one who has to live with it afterall.

My opinion: If you have never experienced owning a new car before and the oppertunity has arisen i say go for it.

Thanks for reply.

I Had a new Civic Type R in 2001 and it was a nice experience. I am smitten by the new Fiesta (my parents have a magenta 1.4 and i think it's a really great car). With the ST they have made a fiesta I'd love to drive every day. We have a 5 year old Focus TDCI estate as the family wagon and it has never, ever gone wrong (neither did the Puma we had before) so i do have a soft spot for fords too. I love the clio though. Argghhh.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Hard choice as the ST is very nice indeed. That said I'd like to bet the price of petrol blue 182s will go up due to the rarity in a few years time. Could always SORN and dry store it?

I doubt it'd be here by the time the price goes up but i would like to keep it. Unfortunately I'd need to sell it, put the money away and then use it to top up the lease.

Fiesta ST
I would go for it if you can easily afford the payments. I haven't missed my clio yet and i never wanted to get rid of it.

I took the st out for its first good drive on sunday up through the yorkshire dales and not once did i wish i was back in the 172 cup. It is just as much fun as the clio but with all the added comforts.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
I would go for it if you can easily afford the payments. I haven't missed my clio yet and i never wanted to get rid of it.

I took the st out for its first good drive on sunday up through the yorkshire dales and not once did i wish i was back in the 172 cup. It is just as much fun as the clio but with all the added comforts.

Using the Clio as cash the cost will be the same (or a bit less) with out any nasty potential bills in the future.

That's exactly how I see it. Got a wife, 5 year old and a 6 month old and we use the Focus at weekends which bores the bejesus out of me but I couldn't see myself putting them into the 182 (or my wife putting up with the bumps) with the fiesta we could use it as a bit of family fun!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
£510 a month for the Fiesta is a bargain.

Before I factor in the crap part-ex I got for my 200, basic running costs including all that the £510 covers on the Fiesta, came out at over £800 per month.

Factor in the part-ex I got and over my ownership my 200 cost closer to £875 per month!

Compared to that, £510 per month for an ST is a no-brainer.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's a no brainer to me. Seems like a bargain when you really do "Mark maths".

You want Spirit Blue though. ;)

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Using the Clio as cash the cost will be the same (or a bit less) with out any nasty potential bills in the future.

That's exactly how I see it. Got a wife, 5 year old and a 6 month old and we use the Focus at weekends which bores the bejesus out of me but I couldn't see myself putting them into the 182 (or my wife putting up with the bumps) with the fiesta we could use it as a bit of family fun!
Dez how about keep your rb 182 save up some money and then px your focus for a 197 or 200 then you would have the best of both worlds then, as long as you dont get recaros the missus will love it, mine does:) as for this lot go post on the ford forum about how good your revamped dagenham dustbin is:)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Dez how about keep your rb 182 save up some money and then px your focus for a 197 or 200 then you would have the best of both worlds then, as long as you dont get recaros the missus will love it, mine does:) as for this lot go post on the ford forum about how good your revamped dagenham dustbin is:)

Lols. Are you upset the new 200 was embarrassed by a Fiesta?

PB 182 (1 of 29)
1000 miles at 29mpg is 35 gallons or 158 litres for which I pay £1.33/litre = £210
£550/year insurance - £46/month
MOT (£55 locally) averaged at £5/month
2 services (£300ish) averaged at £25/month
Tax is roughly £20/month
Tyres (1 set/year - £440/12) - £37/month

That is near enough £350 I guess but I have also replaced shock absorbers, mounts and bushes etc so looking at old bills I have spent £400+/month over the last 2 years (not including mods)

If I got £3000 for the 182 returned to standard with the mods sold on (I would hope for a bit more all in) and then split that over the next 2 years of the lease it gives me £125/month towards the ST.

Therefore the ST is £510 (lease and fuel) less £125 - £385/month - less than the Clio (or roughly the same) with no nasty bills/suprises on the horizon......I guess a no brainer.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
This could be the wife Dezmo:)
nimbusracer2013_zps68dcc147.jpg

PB 182 (1 of 29)

Need an estate so the focus needs to stay. Would be looking at a RS 200T if it wasn't a bit rubbish - was seriously considering a DCi Dynamique S for the (80+mpg capability) but I need excitement on my 1000 mile trip to work each month (mainly flowing country roads) and something with a 4 seats and a little bit of practicality so a hot hatch it needs to be!! Can't argue with the Fiesta's reviews so far and I know this forum is full of car fanatics who will give an honest opinion of any car/manufacturer.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
So far there are 9 opinions:

Fiesta - 5
Clio 182 - 2
Not sure - 1
Alternative - 1

Fiesta has the vote so far!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
at least the fiesta is a new car, not MOT to worry about and all that.
I think the ST is about as close as you can get in a modern hot hatch these days to a 182

Not aimed at the value bit!!

Oh right. Ok maybe my comment was a bit harsh. Sorry about that. Each to his own, but TBH I really believe that petrol blue is probably one of the least desirable colours. Rare doesn't always mean sought after.

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What about chopping them both in for the focus st estate?

Suits your estate needs, it's comfortable and a lot of fun. Ticks all the boxes. Unless you need 2 cars then in that case I'd go for fiesta

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Oh right. Ok maybe my comment was a bit harsh. Sorry about that. Each to his own, but TBH I really believe that petrol blue is probably one of the least desirable colours. Rare doesn't always mean sought after.

I agree it's a little marmite but I do love it, I also love your little reason comment, another vote for the Fester!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
What about chopping them both in for the focus st estate?

Suits your estate needs, it's comfortable and a lot of fun. Ticks all the boxes. Unless you need 2 cars then in that case I'd go for fiesta

We need a car each, the ST estate does look like it'll be epic!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My mates just got one of these fiesta's I'm going to go for a spin in it tonight see what's what.

I have to say I'm not keen, no doubt they're probably very good, it's just not my cup of tea.

PB 182 (1 of 29)
I'd never lease a car, so my comments void.

Why not?

The depreciation alone is pretty much what I am paying monthly. i have a friend who buys a new car every 3 years, has just PX his volvo C30 for an Audi A3 1.6tdi and freely admits to having lost £11k on the volvo in 3 years (plus fuel, servicing, insurance.......) for what? The fiesta will be £11k all in for 3 years so i am basically paying £160/month for fuel, insurance, tax, servicing, tyres the lot, and suffering no depreciation either, I will (just like him) have a new car in 3 years and carry on.

If I went out and specced the fiesta up tomorrow and paid for it I'd be looking at nearly £20k (plus fuel etc) if I decide I want it after 3 years I pay a discounted price for it (say £9k) and keep it, I have paid for the depreciation and run the car for free in the 3 years i have owned it!

Clio 1.2 2.3 2004
Iv booked into a test drive next weekend :)
I'm looking into it.
Or I can get a two seater mini roadster s for £200 a month. Or fiesta at £270

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Just a waste of money IMO, same reason i'd never but a new car, although ironically I pick a new car up on Saturday,
but my circumstances are little different to normal.

A 5 year old car is not any worse than a new one really.