ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep 182 or lease new Fiesta ST?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I saw my first one (other than mine) on the road this morning. Hardly surprising as my commute and workplace are in the countryside that feeds and leads into Goodwood.

Was Molten Orange too. I didn't actually spot him coming the other way as I wasn't focusing on the approaching traffic that much, then realised someone was leaning on their horn and madly light flashing...I think I might have been the first other one he'd seen too!

RB 200
IMO you either want the fiesta or you dont, do you want peoples point of veiws because your unsure and you need convincing? or because you want people to tell you to keep your car?

I'm not keen on them, I borrowed one from work for the weekend a few weeks ago, purely out of courtesy I had to drive one so I could knowingly express my opinion without making it up :p. It just wasn't as good as the 200, my commute is all windy country roads, 10 miles of them, the 200 handled better, was quicker, faster and a hell of a lot more fun. but what I will say is, I drove the 200T the other day too, and I think I rank them in this order 1st - 200 2nd Fiesta st 3rd 200t - Purely IMO of course, theres alot more to the inside of the fiesta, but thats not something that botheres me, I just want the most fun out of a gloryfied go kart :). saying that, the fiesta doesn't look majorly different externally to the standard model/zetec s and I've heard the new model is to be released really soon! probably next year.

I'd say if you really like it and its affordable, Go for it! you'll have brand new, warranty, no mot etc like you say. Although If I was in your position, I think i'd be keeping no1 petrol blue sitting on the drive along side my fiesta ST ;) its a awesome car to have, and i'd be having a long think before letting it go.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Seen one up by me the other day, the orange is a lovely colour. Got quite a bit of mid range punch too

Focus ST-2
Get the Fiesta, looks great & Ford are taking over - picked my Focus up last weekend...

002_zps97d2ba6d.jpg

PB 182 (1 of 29)
IMO you either want the fiesta or you dont, do you want peoples point of veiws because your unsure and you need convincing? or because you want people to tell you to keep your car?

I'm not keen on them, I borrowed one from work for the weekend a few weeks ago, purely out of courtesy I had to drive one so I could knowingly express my opinion without making it up :p. It just wasn't as good as the 200, my commute is all windy country roads, 10 miles of them, the 200 handled better, was quicker, faster and a hell of a lot more fun. but what I will say is, I drove the 200T the other day too, and I think I rank them in this order 1st - 200 2nd Fiesta st 3rd 200t - Purely IMO of course, theres alot more to the inside of the fiesta, but thats not something that botheres me, I just want the most fun out of a gloryfied go kart :). saying that, the fiesta doesn't look majorly different externally to the standard model/zetec s and I've heard the new model is to be released really soon! probably next year.

I'd say if you really like it and its affordable, Go for it! you'll have brand new, warranty, no mot etc like you say. Although If I was in your position, I think i'd be keeping no1 petrol blue sitting on the drive along side my fiesta ST ;) its a awesome car to have, and i'd be having a long think before letting it go.

The PB sits outside the window of my lab and when the sun was on it yesterday it looked awesome, as if it was saying don't get rid of me.... My missus is on statutary maternity pay at the moment so I won't be signing up for the fiesta in the next 2-3 months (I'm probably looking at beginning of the new year now for delivery) and I am going to try and scrape the few grand together in the mean time to keep the Clio as I am sure I want both. I'll keep the PB stored somewhere as a restoration project if you like, I'll strip it down and get it 100% original and perfect then have the Fiesta on the road trouble/worry free for the next few years. I'll still have the PB to sell if times become hard and by adding no more miles and doing it up some it should hold some money.

RB 200
The PB sits outside the window of my lab and when the sun was on it yesterday it looked awesome, as if it was saying don't get rid of me.... My missus is on statutary maternity pay at the moment so I won't be signing up for the fiesta in the next 2-3 months (I'm probably looking at beginning of the new year now for delivery) and I am going to try and scrape the few grand together in the mean time to keep the Clio as I am sure I want both. I'll keep the PB stored somewhere as a restoration project if you like, I'll strip it down and get it 100% original and perfect then have the Fiesta on the road trouble/worry free for the next few years. I'll still have the PB to sell if times become hard and by adding no more miles and doing it up some it should hold some money.

sounds like a good plan, Dibs on the PB though ?? :D

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Ha Ha,

At the bottom of the post in the link I posted above I wrote:

"I think this is a definate keeper!"

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Have to admit the more I'm seeing these the more I'm liking them... still yet to see the orange one in the daytime though, I wanna see the shine!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
think everyone missed something almost 20k for a ford fiesta id rather buy a 182 for 3k hope for the best and buy a house

Its a bit cheaper than the new 200 edc though, and what if you already have a house?

Plus if people didn't buy 182s when new, you wouldn't be able to buy one for 3k now ;)

I know but I just see it as a massive waste of money a new car. If you went to a bank and said give us 20k and the day you open the account you've lost at least 2k you'd laugh in there face

RB 182 195bhp
We're still comparing new cars versus 8 year old sheds?

Oh dear.

I hardly think you can call a car a shed based on age alone. Some 8 year old examples are immaculate and far from it. Peoples issue with the pricing of new cars is the fact that dynamics of what make a car work don't change year to year, so an 8 year old car that's been well looked after will in some cases drive as well or better than a brand new car. Yet with the new car your paying 5 or more times the money. Also because in terms on monetary value a new car picks rivals with things leagues ahead of it in performance, for example a brand new fiesta st with zero spec would probably be more than a 2 year old focus st mountune with full spec, or a mint e46 m3, or a 2 year old golf gt tdi. Something like that makes a tough choice, but i can see it from both sides tbh, plus someone has to buy them new

RB 182 195bhp
Agreed...if the amount of poke/performance is your sole buying criteria it does indeed.

No, no matter what your criteria are, you will always find something better in the used market. Unless you want that new car sense that no one else has used it before. I personally think the fiesta is a fantastic car, and the best new hot hatch about, and the tuning potential with warrantee from mountune is brilliant, but the fact remains any criteria you name you can find something that can do it more in a used car. For example, you like the toys, used bmw 5/ 3 series will have more, you like the ford hot hatches, as said up there a focus st or even some rs's are the same money, economy, golf gt tdi, performance, BMW m3, fun/ handling lotus Elise. I accept there is a balance between all these factors though and car choice is an opinion, no car is right for everyone.

DB.

BMW 440i
I know but I just see it as a massive waste of money a new car. If you went to a bank and said give us 20k and the day you open the account you've lost at least 2k you'd laugh in there face

Lol hardly a good comparison!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
No, no matter what your criteria are, you will always find something better in the used market. Unless you want that new car sense that no one else has used it before. I personally think the fiesta is a fantastic car, and the best new hot hatch about, and the tuning potential with warrantee from mountune is brilliant, but the fact remains any criteria you name you can find something that can do it more in a used car. For example, you like the toys, used bmw 5/ 3 series will have more, you like the ford hot hatches, as said up there a focus st or even some rs's are the same money, economy, golf gt tdi, performance, BMW m3, fun/ handling lotus Elise. I accept there is a balance between all these factors though and car choice is an opinion, no car is right for everyone.

Balance is the key here and the Fiesta fulfills all the criterior I want, fun, fast, handles, looks good and does 40+ MPG.

clio diesel
think everyone missed something almost 20k for a ford fiesta id rather buy a 182 for 3k hope for the best and buy a house

20k for a fiesta is madness, but 175 k for a house is madness too. The people in this country have gone bonkers and throw (borrowed) money around like smarties.

Spending 400-500 pounds a month on a car, is crazy, assuming that the OP is a younger male who probably doesnt earn 40k+.

MCS R56
20k for a fiesta is madness, but 175 k for a house is madness too. The people in this country have gone bonkers and throw (borrowed) money around like smarties.

Spending 400-500 pounds a month on a car, is crazy, assuming that the OP is a younger male who probably doesnt earn 40k+.

Agree with your Fiesta comments but the £175K for a house is only madness if buying a box flat in London, where you can touch all the walls from the middle of the room. You get lots of different sized houses these days...

PB 182 (1 of 29)

Erm, 38 yrs old, not £40k but not far off but mortgage, kids, wife commitments etc. I guess the people who doubt a Clio costs £350-400 a month to run don't bother get theirs serviced properly or fit the best tyres available, don't do 18k miles a year and are lucky nothing goes wrong ever. For the rest of us my figures a totally realistic. Am waiting until Sept to see if a fabled convenience pack appears (cc, auto lights, wipers, folding mirrors and parking sensors) although I only want the mirrors, can't see point in rest. Then a fester will be mine!

A very interesting thread as I haven't decided what car to get next.

I test drove a 200 RS yesterday followed by a 182 Cup.

The 200 was a disappointment really, you felt detached when driving it, the steering feel was too light, the brakes over assisted and had a dead feel initially, the car had no torque and you had to rev it above 5k, even then it wouldn't move.

The particular one was crunching when selecting 4th gear.

The 182 Cup on the other hand felt nice and crisp, it reminded me of my 205 GTi. The throttle response was instantaneous (I like the old school mechanical throttle), the car handled well and felt planted and the brakes were good, too.

If there is one criticism that is the long shift throw. Is there anything that can be done to improve this?

I need to test drive a Trophy to find out whether they are worth the extra money over a 182 Cup and a "plain" non-cup.

Balance is the key here and the Fiesta fulfills all the criterior I want, fun, fast, handles, looks good and does 40+ MPG.

Now that you have owned the ST for a while, what is a realistic mpg on your commute to work?

I went to test drive one at a dealer today (out of curiosity) and I liked the car but I "only" managed 35mpg and that was mostly motorway driving at 70-80 and a little bit of country roads, mind you I wasn't going flat out anywhere so the official figures must be very optimistic IMHO.

I've replied to your e-mail :)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Old part of the thread but lol at a Clio costing £350-400 per month to run, jeez... yours must be absolutely fucked mate!

I regularly manage to get 42mpg having done 5,000 miles in my Mountuned ST.

I do around 1000 miles a month costing me under £150 a month in fuel, cheap really.