ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep my 172 or buy Focus RS

I love the Focus RS (even though Ive never actually driven one) and am seriously considering trading my 172 in? As I havent actually driven one I wondered if anyone on here had and what their thoughts might be. My 172 was one year old yesterday and has 15,000 on the clock!

Cheers

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I would get a focus RS if it wasnt for the god awfull interior.. the car seems great, just couldnt put up with the dash etc.

Focus rs are very quick from 60 onwards so it seems by book figures.

you also have a pretty easy tunning option with the bluefin thing :)

There sill pricey tho aint they?

good choice of car round that price I reckon.

scooby sti/Evo 6+ etc :)

But must admit I like the look of the focus.

Saw a FRS yesterday pull into a shopping centre car park. Had a small crowd around it before the driver even got out of the car! Id rather have one than my 172 for sure.

There commanding massive premiums there one for sale at the Chester garage near me I saw it today it has a huge sign saying its one of 5 left or something but they want £25k for it (it was only 20K new I belive)

MPG on them is poor someone on the forum traded one in for a 172 saying the FRS was getting 15mpg and his 172 was getting 40mpg
The bluefin mod only gives it a few extar Hp (something like 20 I believe)
The engine cannot take much more power I cannot remember why but if your using the blue fin you need to use optimax or equivalant all the time else the engine will go.

Electronics on them are the Mk 1 Focus one with a few mods.
There were quite a few left the factory with the wrong cooling in them leading to overheated engine although Im no aware of any warently claims so maybe they pull them all back quick.

The electronics on the are very poor I hear with the engine switch being a simple button. The alarm is also a week spot as it can disabled easily its hidden under a seat or something.

They do look excellent IMO but I dont belive there worth the extra money agan st WRX or Sear Cupras.
They better than the 172 as they stand out more and have some more space. But in my opinion its not worth the extra.

EDD

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I was seriously considering one before I got the Cup...

Could have got one through work for a lot less than list price, and if I had done I could have had it for a year now and sold it for much more!

Oh well. :oops:

VaVa

Ive driven one a couple of times, and they are seriously quick. Look superb, too. Awesome handling. Great seats. Dash looks tacky with blue bits ( no offence cup owners!!). Torque steer is horrendous though:cry:. My friend says his is a nightmare in this weather. He still loves it though!!. And he loves flying past my 172:cry:. I would have one over a 172 any day. Oh, and theyve got a push-button start:D

Elise/VX220/R26

FRS is deffo more desirable,pukker LTD edition, lairy looks and performance etc. I would get one if the insurance was cheaper even though I hate fords. If you kept it long enough it would probably start going up in value.

R

rich[182]

clarkson said the frs was the best handling front wheel drive hes ever driven, in the tests he did it was same lap times as a 4wd scooby

190 BHP Willy 2

In the new Clarkson video he also says round a track its quicker than a Evo8. But did say he thought it was too dangerous for the roads. Which is nice.

Its on my new car list for May time. :D

Bloke at work has one and they look mean. Dont really think for the increase in cost that youre going to gain much performance wise. If you want everyone hovering around your car go for it. Id rather be a little bit more inconspicuous.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Get a Golf R32 much better car easily as fast in a straight line and handles better. Or Leon Cupra R.

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 January 2004

clarkson said the frs was the best handling front wheel drive hes ever driven, in the tests he did it was same lap times as a 4wd scooby
he also mentioned a massive handling problem because of the diff too though. They skip about on uneaven road surfaces when booting it and apparently this makes them highly dangerous! Ace, get one. Are they not as fast as a DB7 to 100mph as well???

Also I hear they can be tuned, but theres not much point due to the the car being FWD and the lack of traction... but JCT28 motors where I got my car had brand newuns going for £19000

i know im gonna get slapped but they are a bit common see them everywhere we have one in the carpark too everytime i go out anywhere i see atleast one normaly 2 or 3 on a long drive

Laguna 2, Westfield

lol park an RS next to a normal one and see the difference, they look amazing, great colour - imperial blue, handling is amazing, brakes from 100mph to 0 in 4 seconds. Has An anti lift system at the back as the front brakes are so good.

100mph takes 15 seconds or thereabouts i believe.

Get a quote on insurance you might be surprised, they are only group 16, shouldnt be much difference to a 172.

Not my type of thing. My mate has a Focus (1.8) and it handles brilliantly, loads of fun but its not fast enough or Supra enough for me.

I dont like leaving the Cup in car parks so id be well paranoid at leaving the RSF.

Hi People,

This is my first post here, My brother in fact is SELLING the FRS for a 172.

MAD? I think so but he needs to cut costs as he is buying a house (Dam Women)

Anyways both me and him have had mostly owned a few Focus over the past 3 years, However now its time for his to go (Focus RS) :(.

All that crap about torque steer is rubbish, I have driven many and the one that JC had was one of the first ones as it was a press car, after that review they limited the power in 1st and 2nd to stop that power pulling you about.

Looks wise, they are a head turner however I couldnt own one as I would be worried about some **** trying to nick it. They are buy far a brilliant drivers car, having said that there are 10 that have been written of because people think they are Richard Burns in one. So if you buy one dont think its going to make you a better driver because they dont. :)

The insides are very much err... Loud shall we say, they seats are ok, when they dont sag or squeek.

Performace, Well if you get the last ones they are putting out 225bhp but ford havent advertised that one, as the new LEON came out at 225 and the CTR is upto 205 or something like that.

Anything you need to know on the Focus check out http://www.ffoc.co.ukwww.ffoc.co.uk I am a Mod on there, we are a friendly bunch :)

Back to the point....

The FRS is not a cheap car to own/Run Front pads from Fords are £330 yes thats just the pads. Also you have the petrol side, if you see 260 out of a run then you are driving like an old woman, really its so so so bad, it put me off getting one.

Also not the prices have been high but now are starting to silde. DO NOT pay no more than 18.5 for a low mileage car (5k or under)...

Hope that helps,

Ronnie.

PS. I drive a 270bhp LEON CUPRA R they are that expensive (FRS) to run, not bad for 16k all in... :)

trouble is trying too get one now as they are no longer in production?? i wouldnt mind a Focus RS myself too be honest, lovely looking car and performance aint bad either, looked pretty good against the Cosworth on Topgear... not as quick off line but once going it kept with it! were they not bringing a Focus Cosworth out in 2005??? 4x4 mm

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well as you can see we are all a friendly bunch in here too. I have had the odd tussle with an RS and it only really shows its power once you get 70-80 mph, before that I was right up his ass. But thats probably down to the restricted boost in 1st and 2nd.

Lovely cars, not too sure about the interior but its a nice car all the same and I would deffinatly have one over the CTR (cant stand the looks of the CTR).

Interesting to know about the milage your getting in them, if you drive the 172 like a granny you can keep it above 40 MPG on motorways. Thrashing and town driving normally see between 25-30mpg

I think these cars look great and if being honest would love one!

In terms of performance EVO magazine managed to keep up with a cup in a frs on country roads but only just and through gritted teeth! Put em on a dry race track and am sure they will fly.

But for the money you can have a rally special - treat

I was at the RS Owners Club national day, and there were a number of P***ed of 400bhp Cossie owners that couldnt catch the standard RS.

To be fair its handling is setup so well its more at home on the track than the road. Also day to day it can get a bit much (Noise through the car).

Thanks for the welcome.

My brothers picking up a 172 on a 51 plate, anything we should look out for?

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by rs_ffoc on 13 January 2004

My brothers picking up a 172 on a 51 plate, anything we should look out for?
Yeah Ford Focuss :)

Welcome to Cliosport.

I drove my brothers RS yesterday, its has similarities to the cup, but the handeling is just immense, very solid. As for the gear change its amazing, so blody precise, the travel is only about an inch and a half, and slots in perfectly. I cant imagine youd be able to catch the gears, so well machined. My gear box feels a little loose compared. The dash aint much to shout about, the seats are amazing! The steering wheel is quite nice size, little bit smaller than a clio.

But when it came to accelleration i wasnt that impressed. Yeah its quick, but so is my cup. Plus i can stay in gear longer. Although my bros still taking it a bit easy there didnt seem to bee too much going on about 4k although he hasnt taken it above 5k.

The car is underpowered for the amount of grip that is on offer! Although its not as fuel efficient as the 172/CUP so be prepared to pay for it!