ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

keep the 182 or get a cheap ph1 172

Ph1 T
Right got abit of a dilema bought my 182 about 8 months ago as always had to use my car for work and thought it would get some use anyway about 2 weeks later work decided to give me a van so i now do about 20 miles a week in it, now im struggling with finances at the minute house buying stuff for the car and the car itself is costing me 300 a month with insurance and finance,

so then i decided ill do some tracdays in it to get some use out of it did a few then found out could do with upgrading some bits on it and was going to end up using it mainly as a fast road/track car,ive spent quite abit on it with some nice mods:

AST sportline 1 coilovers
2118's
yozza system, yozza decat
oz f1 track wheels with near new r888's all around
sabelt wheel
brembo disks ds2500 pads
braided lines
and some other stuff

all i really was going to do next is 2 buckets and cage then leave it and have as much fun as possible in it.

Now ive been offered a titanium ph1 172 reasonably cheap, now if i got that i could sell mine pay off the finance and pay for the new car and just use that as the track car which would save me a good 200+ a month,

never really wanted to sell mine as ive spent abit and got it basically exactly how i wanted it, but moneys an issue at the minute and for the money i pay and amount of use the BG gets is it worth it,

will the ph1 be as much fun as the 172 are parts to get it track ready similar price: coilovers,exhaust ect.

sorry for the long boring write up :)
your opinions appreciated
Cheers

Megane 225 F1
I don't think selling a clio to buy another clio to save money will work. It really won't.

Ph1 T
How much finance do you have to pay off?

about 3500 finance

if i do it i will put my standard exhaust suspension and cup wheels back on, so hopefully get abit of cash for the aftermarket parts

the cars got FSH cambelt done last year pretty much mint

Ph1 T
I don't think selling a clio to buy another clio to save money will work. It really won't.

why do you think the ph1 will cost more in long run or something? id of thought if i get rid of my finance the car wont really be costing me anything other than insurance?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sell the pointless stuff, Yozza exhaust, track wheels, 2118's, coilovers.... Thats probably £1500+ in parts there.

Use that money to square yourself up with your finances and keep the 182.

about 3500 finance

if i do it i will put my standard exhaust suspension and cup wheels back on, so hopefully get abit of cash for the aftermarket parts

the cars got FSH cambelt done last year pretty much mint

Surely you're going to want all those parts for the Ph1?

If you're skint, sell the 182. Sell all the parts. Buy something cheap.

Ph1 T
Sell the pointless stuff, Yozza exhaust, track wheels, 2118's, coilovers.... Thats probably £1500+ in parts there.

Use that money to square yourself up with your finances and keep the 182.

i get what you mean and you make sense

i started with trackdays end of last year and really enjoy it but like you say costs alot

i did consider that selling some parts and keeping the 182 as im not massively in debt infact no more than 1000 but ive never been in debt ever before maybe just worrying because im not used to it

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Is the 172 you have been offered in good condition? Why is it so cheap? My main concern would be if i sold the 182 and all the stuff bought for it, buy a much older car which could potentially cost a fair whack in maintenance, then be back at square one with no money and a car that's worth less than the one i sold. Better the devil you know maybe?

If the 182 is your passion and you have got it how you want it then keep it. There must be other ways you can make savings in your life...

Last edited:
  Ph1 T
Is the 172 you have been offered in good condition? Why is it so cheap? My main concern would be if i sold the 182 and all the stuff bought for it, buy a much older car which could potentially cost a fair whack, then be back at square one with no money and a car that's worth less than the one i sold.

If the 182 is your passion and you have got it how you want it then keep it. There must be other ways you can make savings in your life...

Yeah is in good condition I know the guy who's selling it and he was going to brake it as said he would get more but gave me the option it's not mega cheap abit cheaper than most go for on here ect but like I say he's a mate, tbh I think maybe 3 month id have paid my debts of if I don't spend much in them months, but will still be Paying finance on the at which I will just be using near enough only on track, you have a point about maybe the ph1 costing more in the long run been older ect, judging by these comments probably best thing is grind it out and stick with the 182

BG 182
Keep the parts, sell the 182 for now so you can get yourself out of a sticky situation. Go carless or buy a passion wagon for 6 months whilst you save then buy another 182?

Ph1 T
Keep the parts, sell the 182 for now so you can get yourself out of a sticky situation. Go carless or buy a passion wagon for 6 months whilst you save then buy another 182?

By just selling the 182 id only get rid of the finance though not the debt so would still have to save either way for a couple of month If I did that

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm confused between finance and debt, so its more that £3.5k you owe?

I'm with Daniel if you plan to keep a 1*2, or if you really need the money then sell everything and run something really cheap (or nothing if you have the van) until you can afford to buy again.

Ph1 T
sorry for the confusion

i owe roughly 3.5k finance on the car, by debt i mean in my overdraft which is still debt really,

ive been thinking if i keep my head down and dont throw any money at the car over next 2-3 months should have it sorted. the main thing i was looking at is it worth paying 300 for a car that does 20 miles a week roughly

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You know my thoughts mate. You do stupidly low miles per week, and you pay xyz per month on your current car. Take my advice, if you want to have a second car so to speak, get rid of your debt and buy a ph1 outright. You will enjoy and appreciate it more, been there done that with various cars. Have a fun/cheap car, not a xyz car.

:)

If you can't afford to run a second car right now, then sell it. Forget about the 2nd car and see how you're standing in the Summer. That's what I'd do anyway.

If those mods are already on there and fitted then you may want to consider getting it off the road for a few months instead. E.g. if the mods are £1000, they may only add £200 of value for other people, when to yourself they are worth much more. So selling to re-buy a ph1 may not be worth it if the ph1 isn't how you want it. Would just cutting the tax and insurance off it and keeping it off road somehow help you out?

Argh I dunno! Difficult decision mate, but yeah, you'll need to find this cash somehow.

Ph1 T
i wouldnt want to run a second car my option would be put the 182 back to standard sell the arfetmarket parts sure they would sell in no time as all top parts, then use the money to pay of debt and purchase the 172 then sell the 182 and pay off the finance with that but like you say then ive got to spend money on the 172 getting that track ready then but i suppose could do it over time and i would be saving 200 a month from the 182 finance,

it is very difficult decision havent got a clue what to do :/ lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its for trackdays a ph1 172 sounds like it makes more sense to me TBH, put the 182 back to standard and sell it, keep all the bits to one side, then when you are debt free save up and buy a 172

Thats assuming that you can manage without a car at all for a little while though obviously.

Yeah, just sell the car and the parts and get a PH1 then perhaps. The only problem you may face is that if you are selling it with outstanding finance, won't it flag up on the HPI check? Things like that could bother some people unless they understand that you are genuine (since you don't actually fully own the car yet).

You should be able to sell that parts no problem, or keep any parts that you can afford to that will also go onto the 172.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Selling a car with finance isn't an issue as you make it clear, you are going to pay it off immediately

Clio 182
I'm in the same boat. I'm selling my DC5 and paying my personal loan and credit card off and buying a 182 out the remainder.

Send me some details of your car as it sounds well spec'd with some of the parts you have on it and a price you have in mind?

Ph1 T
I'm in the same boat. I'm selling my DC5 and paying my personal loan and credit card off and buying a 182 out the remainder.

Send me some details of your car as it sounds well spec'd with some of the parts you have on it and a price you have in mind?

wouldnt be worth me selling the car with all the parts on i think if im doing it the car will be going back to stanadard 182 FF form

Clio 182
Couldn't agree more. I split more my Integra before selling it and raked it over £2k in parts alone!

Ph1 T
Couldn't agree more. I split more my Integra before selling it and raked it over £2k in parts alone!

im going to be deciding in the next few days so will drop you a pm my decision and post it in here also incase i forget

Ph1 T
If you do decide to keep the car, i still have them seats, also some better pictures of them! ;)

ha well now you have more pictures lol

unless you offer finance im out haha

if i had the funds or someone to buy my seats id have them off you tommorow mate