ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

keep the (cup) or buy a (type r)

CLIO 172 CUP....
well yeah iv been thinking about saling mr cup and going for a type r. but thing is i dont wont to sale the cup and then wish i never.

so keep the cup or go for a type r...

witch is better....

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I have been in a similar situation for a while and I have decided the cup is staying... gotta spend some money on it but its staying. Went and bought my gf a car instead which I can borrow whenever I need it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If the clio is still pretty standard then sell it and buy a type r. Then if you want you can always come back to clio's later.

If your cup is modded then you need to have a serious think about it, since you are going to lose a lot on the mods :(

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Type R.

Worth making the move, i had my 172 for 2.5 years and chopped it in against a Type R.
I've had that now nearly 3 years and it great. Not cost me a penny other than normal servicing, which I might add is reasonable even at main dealer.

I'm not biased either, I've just bought the mrs a 182 Cup. :)
Steering better on Clio and it looks better imo, but everything else better on Honda. Particularly reliability. :D

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've got both, and would prob pick the type R tbh! (if both are standardish). Civic is much better built (obviously) and far nicer to drive. Handles pretty similar to the cup too!

keo

Clio Trophy
I went from a 106 GTI to a EP3 CTR Prem edition and i hated it purley because of the numb with no feed back steering. I had it up for sale after a week. Civic was a nice car though, well built and the engine and gearbox are brilliant, i liked the interior with the red carpet as well, just the steerin ruined it for me. Trophy with type r gear box and engine (Chipped so vtech kicks in lower) would be my perfect hot hatch :)

260% JCW
Type R.

I'm not biased either, I've just bought the mrs a 182 Cup. :)
Steering better on Clio and it looks better imo, but everything else better on Honda. Particularly reliability. :D

Hondas are as reliable as any other car, i know of a few CTR's, S2000 and there engine's have gone bang with reasonable miles.

The engine's better, but the handling's a bit limp. The CTR interior is just as shite as the clio, the only plus side is the standard bucket seat's. They also look dog ugly IMO, and the new one's even worse. Good job there getting shot of them. If your going for a Honda, get an Integra.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
The CTR interior is just as sh*te as the clio, the only plus side is the standard bucket seat's.

Hardly.

RIMG0189.gif

I wouldnt really class the Clio interior as shite, unless you've not got a Renaultsport.
The half leather/alcantara is a nice touch imo.
The older Type R's without the red seat trim/ door cards look a bit more bland, but i think a lot of people on here will agree the pic above is not sh*te.

260% JCW
Take away the Red seats and mats and its horrid. Only the seat's make it slightly nice the rest of the dash is cheap quality shiny plastic made from melted down Sega megadrives, i dont think any jap cars are renowned for there quality build materials like wise on the Clio. The Half leather Alcantara seats are nice but they're to high and the plastic used again on the dash is Recycled im sure.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I (think) you should go (and) drive a (type R) and make up your own (mind) about Sailing your cup on the (ocean Waves).

CLIO 172 CUP....
emmm. well i drove the car harder than i have done for some time today as ther was some xr3i was trying to over take me so i just gave it some bean and the car really did make me sit up in my sit and think s**t i why would i wont to sale it....

so looks like im gonna keep it for abit more....so im gonna have to do some more mod as im geting bord on how it looks now...

260% JCW
Love the comparison of the Cup to an Xr3i, some peeps would have posted this in the Road driving story's section.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had a CTR (facelift EP3) for ... 3 weeks! Vtec was fun and gear box was awesome but the steering was rubbish in my opinion, it just felt dull in terms of handling, stiff and twitchy. I also tried an ABP Motorsport fast road set up to see if my car was duff but it was still just as bad! - Keep the Cup

Stripped yozza'd cup
To elaborate, my friend has a 57 plate Ctr, it's not even close to the level of fun that the cup gives

535d / t5 caravelle
I (think) you should go (and) drive a (type R) and make up your own (mind) about Sailing your cup on the (ocean Waves).

lol

emmm. well i drove the car harder than i have done for some time today as ther was some xr3i was trying to over take me so i just gave it some bean and the car really did make me sit up in my sit and think s**t i why would i wont to sale it....

so looks like im gonna keep it for abit more....so im gonna have to do some more mod as im geting bord on how it looks now...

f**k me do these things still exist, i had a good run against a nova sr the other day.

172 cup
if u want more goodies then go with the type r, my cups just slighty quicker than my mates type r . personel preferance

Stagecoach Ticket
Never Driven a cup but wouldent think theres much difference between it and my ph1 (Might be wrong?) as the 172 FF was pretty similar to the ph1 tbh just not as raw. Personally i think the CTR is head and shoulders above the clio.

EK9 - Looks better, Rarer, Holds its value better, Drives better, More fun, More tunning options, I think quicker
EP3 - Looks better, Better made, Holds its value better, I think quicker can see slightly why people say there abit bland steering wise but there bigger cars and better made i think if the ph1 was german made and solid dident make alot noise after 5k and dident feel abit rough it would be the same as the civic IMO

260% JCW
Massey Ferguson interior oo-aarrr. lol

You're easy to please aren't you.:coffee:
If you're not going to give either car any credible praise keep out of the thread.

Sorry do you police who should and shouldn't post? No...didnt think so.

Last time i looked this was a discussion about the pros and cons of both cars, As ive owned both cars and pay my membership im entitled to post MY OPINION When i like.

clio 1.5dci
I went from a 106 GTI to a EP3 CTR Prem edition and i hated it purley because of the numb with no feed back steering. I had it up for sale after a week. Civic was a nice car though, well built and the engine and gearbox are brilliant, i liked the interior with the red carpet as well, just the steerin ruined it for me. Trophy with type r gear box and engine (Chipped so vtech kicks in lower) would be my perfect hot hatch :)

I found the CTR i had very numb to.

What about a dc2 integra type R? If you can find a good one they wipe the floor with both the ep3 and the cup.

On the other side the cups newer, cheeper to run, cheeper insure, look nicer, plus your not going in the unknown as you could just be buying someone elses crap with an ep3.

Jap Shed
If its a daily ep3
2 or 3 TD a year - EK9

if you get an ep3 dont expect to have anywhere as much b road fun as a cup...