ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keeping white, for the lazy car cleaner.

Most of you know I'll be owning a white car soon. Now this worries me, because frankly I'm not interested in cleaning enough to spend 8 hours a week making it look spot on, but also want the cars I own & actually like to look spot on.

I want the easiest way of keeping white sparkling. No spending forever and a day rubbing in various whale semen based products into the paint, quick sprays/liquids that last a decent amount of time (couple of months maybe).

I do have a bottle of Zaino Clear Seal, however I just can't work with it, it seems to not go in in the way the bottle suggests, and certainly doesn't seem to work the way it suggests, only lasting a couple of days for myself.

I'm going to need a spray Tar Remover and decent lasting/easy to use sealant system. I'd like an easy to apply/buff glaze that brings out the best of the white too.

Link me up guys.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Keeping a white car clean must be a nightmare, especially if you aren't willing to spend time on it. Why don't you just get it detailed quarterly? ;) Save money on car wash, products etc!

I don't particularly want to chuck a few £100 at getting a car detailed every 3 months, when I could buy £50-£75 worth of product that'll probably last me the year or longer.

It's not that I'm not willing to spend time keeping it clean, it's that spending the best part of a day keeping a car clean every week/fortnight is a waste of my time when I've got a house to maintain, I work shifts, and of course I'll have the car to maintain too ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Do it right once, for eg full detail and 3 layers of zaino Z2 or similar and it last 6 months with washing in between.

The new sealants like Gtechniq C2V3 are great, spray on wipe off and they last also stops crap sticking as easy, so a simple pw can clear most crap off it.

Do it right once saves a lot of hassle. Get someone local to detail it for you cheap cheap!

UR 197 Cup
Auto Finesse tough coat may be right up your street. Have a look at it and see what you think. As long as you get the prep done correctly before applying this it should last 3 months+ i believe. And to keep it clean during that time you would probably be looking at about an hour- hour and a half every 2 weeks (or every week if you dont like having a dirty car) to give it a clean depending on how fussy you are.. Im not sure what tough coat is like on white as i dont know to much about it but im sure someone with more experience will be along in a minute to give you some more info :)

I don't mind doing the whole clay & everything prep say maybe once a year Gally. I've got clay, I've got the DA etc I just want to maintain it looking good after that easily, without paying somebody £100s!

You also forget you're talking to somebody who doesn't really follow the detailing world whatsoever, so "the new sealants" means shine all to me!

I'm going to get some Tardis unless anyone has any better suggestions for a tar/bug remover? I'll look into this stuff you 2 recommend. What about a nice Glaze to enhance the white?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I presume you have autoglym super resin polish? as everyone has a bottle somewhere.

proper clean, de tar, clay etc. work in the SRP, maybe an IPA wipedown, then GTechniq C1.5 or C2. get a normal quick detailing spray for wiping down after intermediate washes, then once a month after a wash add another layer of c1.5/c2 as it takes a matter of minutes to apply and buff off. job done

Not a 320d
Tardis is full of win. Best product evar.

Gally will have to comment on the glaze and c2v2 thing but I think its possible. Get yourself two buckets, some BTBM shampoo or G wash and some decent yellow towels and be done with it.

Im not really into Glazes as I machine polish instead. AG SRP would be good, AF Rejuvinate etc. I am assuming thats out the question?

Sod SRP, don't really like the stuff. Far too dusty for my liking. I've done QDs in the past and I think they can be a bit of a PITA and a gimmick, especially Carnauba based ones.

​I only mention about a Glaze because after I DA'd the RX7, a glaze really brought the best out of it, and topping that up kept it looking great.

Not a 320d
If thats what you know and youre happy with then why not continue.

Also SRP isnt dusty if used correctly.

Maybe Get gtechniq p1 polish and use ur DA to clean the paint up a bit. Remove dead clear etc.

Then apply C2.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
blackhole is fine on a white car. I tried a small bit on a silver panel and filled swirls quite well, didn't darken the finish.

I only mentioned SRP as most people have it or know what it is. I was more referring to prepping the paint for the wax or sealant. If you don't like SRP, try rejuvenate or tough prep, both clean up the paint well, have a small amount of fillers but also minor abrasives to keep the finish fresh. can be used fine by hand or DA. top with spray sealant of choice.

Ref: QD's, get a non adding QD, something easy to use like finale, britemax spray and shine etc. Couldn't be easier to use, halp a little be lightly cleansing the surface after drying without affecting your wax and sealant but will stop the finish and look degrading. Or dilute C2 version3 1:3 with deionised water and use that instead.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
By hand just buy some tripple or Rejuvenate mate Auto Finesse make both. Great cleansers especially on white. Both will leave a nice finish for topping.

I'd suggest get some Zaino Z2 or be lazy and buy some C2V3 so easy to use as the lsp.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
As said, give it a good detail when you first get it; strip everything off (tar, iron etc) clay, polish, then use one of the mentioned sealants and keep on top of it with a quick pressure wash/show it a wash mitt once a month

Golf GT & A4 Avant
This the C2V2 stuff? Instructions sound just as finnicky as the Clear Seal I don't get on with. Dry into Microfibres? I don't get it.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/gtechniq-c2-liquid-crystal-100ml-v2-/prod_1040.html

they do a new version 3 that is generally better and easier to use. Can by it direct
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c2v3-liquid-crystal/
All you need is a microfibre applitcator, spray once or twice over the applicator, wipe round the panel, do the same with a second panel, then use a clean microfibre to buff off both panels and work round the car like that. job done.

Hardly easy and non fussy product to use. And as for those that say a wax or sealant doesn't add anything to the finish, well they haven't tried 476, as it can mute flake and doesn't bond well to oily, filler heavy bases and looses it's depth of gloss. save it for wheels

That sounds a bit easier to use. Think I'll get the AF Tripple, then the GTechniq C2V3. Probably need to get some new Microfibres for it too TBH, mine are all getting on a bit.

Black Sheep
sorry gally I aint with whole "detailing"thing at the mo lol, but that stuff is durable. If you are that lazy just take it to a detailer. 2 hours work for like a year + protection.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You know what he's actually right. Horrible product but it does work!

Honda & VW
costco do a pack of 30 mfs for ~£10

decent sized and branded as 'detailers choice'

That's all well and good, if you're a Costco member!

its actually £11 for 36, I fortunately know a chap who's a bit of an avid BWAB who's dad often goes to Costco, at that price its hard not to always have a pack or two. Came in very handy after my little 'wire wool incident'