ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kenny's Kup

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
The top bit of the dash will be getting flocked, not sure about flocking the switch panel though? If it's sprayed satin matt black or anodised shouldnt get too much glare off it especially down there. Like most things it'll evolve as I go lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yeah understandable,
i am going to try and keep all my switches (there should only be a couple as with yours) up in my top dash area, maybe either side of my digi-dash

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Recon there's going to be about 12-13 switches on that panel, and depending on what decided to do regards the dash, either a stand alone analouge rev counter and a couple of 52mm gauges or a digital dash, if its the later I may also need another 4 push buttons to control it.
Relay count is at about 14 just now i think

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers for the comments guys.

Had a lot on recently, a daft course for work and making/fixing various things for other people so not had a chance to do much on the Clio. Finally cleared my feet today and got on with a few wee bits.

Made a start on mounting the dashboard,

IMGP4167.jpg

Camera up to it's old tricks again, focusing on stuff 12ft away lol
IMGP4169.jpg

Did the same on the other side. Will need to get on with the switch panel and mounting the rest of it.

Battery;
I spent a wee while debating where to mount this and narrowed it down to two options. On the inside of the front bulkhead somewhere or behind the seats.
Obviously having it on the front bulkhead means less wire to reach the starter but the bulkhead area is going to have quite a lot of stuff on it, fuse and relay box is going up there and possibly the ECU so I was concious of not over crowding it, not only could it look a mess but thinking in the event of trying to work on anything especially at a race meeting etc when there's limited time it could be a pita.
At the back, it's out the way but still fairly easy to get to, slightly lower down and central in the car, granted it needs a bit more wire but I worked out it's approx 400grams extra. I've been busy shaving off weight else where on the car so it was a relatively small penalty all things considered.

IMGP4171.jpg

Bracket made up from 3mm steel, cut the heads off some M6 bolts and welded them in from the back, did the same at the top.

IMGP4177.jpg

IMGP4183.jpg

IMGP4184.jpg

Not sure what I'll get on with tomorrow, there's so many things to do. It's very easy to get side tracked and start fiddling about with something totally different to what you started with.

Kenny.

Last edited:

sk84life

ClioSport Club Member
  2000 Clio 172
Not sure what I'll get on with tomorrow, there's so many things to do. It's very easy to get side tracked and start fiddling about with something totally different to what you started with.

^ Too true! Keep up the good work!!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I left the camera up at the workshop last night so this is really a 2 day update, although it was a late start up there today.

Made up another mounting point for the dashboard

IMGP4189.jpg

Two M5 bolts go through the wee dooket on top of the dash

IMGP4194.jpg

Combined with the 4 OE clips along the front edge of the dash and the 3 self tappers the dash was already pretty secure.

I then finished off the support for the switch panel, my tig is getting a better but still a long way to go to get anywhere near as good as my mate is but there's only one way to sort that and thats to keep practicing.
The tube is 15mmx 1mm thick so quite tricky to weld without vapourising it!

IMGP4198.jpg

IMGP4199.jpg

Once fitted up and bolted in position, it's pretty solid, dont think it'll need any more supports

IMGP4200.jpg

Stopped for a cuppa and a few chocolate hobnobs :) and thought about what I should tackle next.

As part of the modifications to the front subframe and raising the roll centre, I also need to lift the steering rack, unfortunately I can't raise it as far as I wanted or the arms will fowl on the chassis legs, so I'm going have to raise the rack 20mm and then drop the end of the steering arms 20mm at the hub using rose joints and some adapters which I'm having made up.

Going to weld in some 25mm tube to make the new top bolt hole

IMGP4203.jpg

IMGP4205.jpg

IMGP4206.jpg

Thats as much as I got done tonight, decided to go for a beer with the old boy ;)

Will crack on with it tomorrow

Kenny.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cut 2 bits of the 25mm tube

IMGP4207.jpg

IMGP4208.jpg

Then cut out 2 bits of 3mm plate and ground into circles and welded them onto the ends, sat in positon

IMGP4214.jpg

Tacked them on, marked out and drilled the holes

IMGP4218.jpg

Then welded them on fully

IMGP4228.jpg

IMGP4229.jpg

Will use a cap head allen bolt in the top mounts. Had to finish early today but hopefully get back on it tomorrow and sort the lower mounting holes out.

cordoba,panda 100 hp
the fabrication work in this build is unbelieveable, some serious serious tallent, realy cant wait to see this done, an epic build. well done

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheers again for the comments guys.

The Tig set up is a Thermal Arc 200 Professional something or other lol, it's my mates machine, just borrowing it, but would like to get one of my own at some point. Not long bought the mig so i'll need to leave it a while until I can afford to buy a tig.
I'm getting a bit better at it but still got a along way to go before I'm anything like as good as he is. Happy enough with what I've managed to do recently though, the subframe is pretty thick so it's a lot easier to weld, crank the juice up and go for it lol It's definitely something I want to get better at though, so much more you can do with it compared to mig, brackets and things you previously never though possible can be stitched together with tig if you have the time and patience.

Was busy at the weekend but I managed to get the subframe finished on Friday

IMGP4238.jpg

IMGP4239.jpg

IMGP4241.jpg

Ordered some bits for the Exhaust too, not really ready for it but it's something else I can be getting on with if I find myself stuck or in between jobs, plan is to put main silencer here

IMGP4257.jpg

Will probably need another silencer in the centre section but I'll make it up as I go. I've got some more bits of stainless pipe on order to make a letterbox style side exit, should have been here today but hopefully arrive tomorrow and I can have a wee go at that before I pack up and get ready to go back to work on Wednesday :(

Kenny.

Are they them dark red units??? Never used 1 myself as all our stuff is miller or esab at work but ive seen them in the local welding suppliers and they look ok from the spec..

Its all about practice mate.. im sure you dont need me to tell you that though haha..

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah thats the the ones, I'd never used one before either but where my mate works they have a lot of them, he seems to like them.
This one is just a DC machine, not sure if I would spend the extra getting an AC/DC set when I eventually get round to buying one, ill see how well I get on with steel before I attempt ally lol.

My mig set is one of these wee things

http://products.esab.com/Templates/T041.asp?id=179807

Got a good deal on it, been a fantastic wee thing so far, it's ease of portability has paid for itself several times already.

an ac/dc unit would open up a lot more fabrication options for you...

as for welding ally, its not that much harder than mild or stainless imo... but as you say the units are a lot more money...

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
an ac/dc unit would open up a lot more fabrication options for you...

as for welding ally, its not that much harder than mild or stainless imo... but as you say the units are a lot more money...

Thats the thing, do I spend the extra money on a budget ac/dc machine, or buy a good dc machine.
It would open up some options but only if I could use it well enough to justify it and be confident what I was sticking together was going to look right and most importantly not fall apart lol

Your a bloody long way away so i cant offer you a blast on the ally tigs at work.. but everyone ive had to teach is competant down to 2mm within a day or 2... After that its practice.. ive been doing it over 15 years and still cant compete with the old timers that taught me....

Also the difference in a budget dc tig and a good dc tig is minimal.. you'll get a few features like slope up and down controls and maybe some pulse features but actual weld quality doesnt differ much..

A good ally tig and a cheapo unit is massively different though.. if you go for 1 of those i would strongly reccomend a foot pedal control and water cooled torch if using for extended periods..

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
My mate has got AC/DC sets at work but I think they're all big 3-phase things, I can get 3-phase at the workshop but it's not really practical to be lugging a full size welding set home for me to play around with, the one I have a loan of just now will near enough fit in a big shopping bag lol.
Once I'm a bit better at steel I'll see about getting a go with Ally. As you say though, it's nearly all about practice once you have the basics right, i'm just trying to get smoother and more consistent at feeding in the filler wire, the gloves i've been using arent really ideal, need to get some proper tig one as apposed to the chunky mig ones i've got just now.

RS172 Flamer
Sorry if you have mentioned this before but... What are the plans for the engine? Are you keeping it standard-ish or tunning it up quite abit?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Dont know if I've mentioned engine plans before.
At the moment the plan is just to clean up and use the standard engine that came out of the original car, albeit probably with a set of rod bolts in it.
It'll be running jenvey ITB's and a custom loom, using an ECU not previously used on a Clio ;) All will be revealed in due course.

I'll pick up another engine at some point and spent a little more time on that, give it a proper freshen up, possibly some mild head work, cams & pistons but I dont want to go daft. I'm quite sure 200(ish) will be enough for me to get used to and once I get to know the car I'll be better placed to know what it needs.

I never use a glove on my wire hand unless its ally.. and even then ive cut the finger tips off to make life easier

the only ac/dc unit ive used that was single phase was a parweld item.. it seemed ok but i was only setting it up for a friend..

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
It's a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in all honesty but I know the people involved with it ;) It can do way more than I'll be asking of it but the bonus is some nice datalogging capability, launch and traction control and easy to adjust map functions on the fly.

j-k

lots
It's a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in all honesty but I know the people involved with it ;) It can do way more than I'll be asking of it but the bonus is some nice datalogging capability, launch and traction control and easy to adjust map functions on the fly.

Is it a SYVECS by any chance??

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Managed to get a few wee jobs done today,

Main Fuse & Relay box mounted up on the bulkhead, also going to have some fuses in the main switch panel for the stuff critical to making the car run so they are easy to get to, ie ecu, fuel pumps etc

The stantions were made by welding a nut onto a big washer then welding that in to the ends of some bits of tube.
IMGP4290.jpg

IMGP4291.jpg

Since I dont have the top half of the bulkhead anymore, I had to find somewhere else to mount the header tank, still to finish welding the brackets, will probably get my mate to do them next week.

IMGP4292.jpg

IMGP4295.jpg

I had been debating what to do about the wheel well while I was away offshore, I was torn between cutting it out completely and fitting the infill panel like Neil has done, or just shorten it.
The only reason I'm looking at doing anything back here is to allow me to panel in the underside of the car and possibly fit a diffuser.
I figured I might as well have a go at shortening it, if it didn't work out I could always chop the rest out and go for the infill panel instead.

Bit of careful marking out, wanted to get the bottom of the wheel well level with the lower edge of the chassis rails

IMGP4300.jpg

I then drew another line approx 15mm lower down

Chopped!

IMGP4302.jpg

I then made a few slits in the lip and folded it to make a return edge, helps to stiffen it up slightly and gives me something to fix the flat floor to ;)
Going to weld the slits up but the welder will need to be turned right down for that though and changed to 0.6mm wire.

IMGP4303.jpg

IMGP4305.jpg

IMGP4307.jpg

Still not finalised what I'm going to do yet but quite happy with how it looks just now, think it should work out quite well.
There's very little weight, if any to be saved taking the wheel well out though, it's no wonder the back of these cars crease easily in a shunt, the metal back there is very thin!

Here's a few for Neil,

Front crossmember,

IMGP4268.jpg

I had to file a bit off the edges of the swager to get it to fit the profile of the front section, otherwise it would make a right old mess

IMGP4270.jpg

A few extra holes on the inside, this bit is pretty darn thick!

IMGP4272.jpg

Then I figured it was beer o'clock :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ah.... i feel special with the extra pics for me..... thank you, i trial fitted my swager in the cross member and it looks like it will go...

loving what you have done with the wheel well mate, looks sweet as, may just be worth panelling that i reckon, as for the diffuser it may be worth a few people getting some thoughts together on that and getting a few made up (i was thinking about one, and i expect a few others would too)