ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Klaus - Lupo SDI

BMW M4; S1000 RR
75mpg which you would struggle to get over 30mpg in the petrol. They're so under powered.

And running on veg oil at 70p a litre whereas petrol is what.. £1.20 atm I think? 50p a litre saving and the tank is 35 litres so that's £17.50 a tank saved.

More money for the boosted bus.

Ah gotcha. Thats cool if you can spend that much time in a Lupo I guess! I just liked the idea of a cheap shitter to take to the shops. The money I'd save in having parking dings fixed would pay for the car ffs

Countryman JCW
Haha epic. Yeah the tdi looks great but my main concern is old high pressure fuel pumps, injectors and turbos.

I like how on the sdi it's so old school, injectors are about £20 a pop on ebay. No turbo to die, no expensive fuel pump etc.

Drove it today to work and f**k me it's a big shock to the system coming from the 182 haha
I would say that's a fair comment, but they are bomb proof mate... replacement parts come up fairly regularly too if you needed to swap them about! But, who cares at the end of the day, they're a fun car to drive especially when you're saving a packet running them too ! i dont know that you could run the TDI on veg oil which is a bonus on the SDI engine!

Oh, and your window issue if you haven't fixed it already will be the switch. I had it go on my drivers window in the Arosa.

Also - just read and i genuinely didn't know this, but apparently running your car on veg oil is an illegal practice and carries a maximum 7 year jail penalty if caught... don't want to "piss on your chips" mate, but thought you might prefer to know if you didnt already.

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I would say that's a fair comment, but they are bomb proof mate... replacement parts come up fairly regularly too if you needed to swap them about! But, who cares at the end of the day, they're a fun car to drive especially when you're saving a packet running them too ! i dont know that you could run the TDI on veg oil which is a bonus on the SDI engine!

Oh, and your window issue if you haven't fixed it already will be the switch. I had it go on my drivers window in the Arosa.

Also - just read and i genuinely didn't know this, but apparently running your car on veg oil is an illegal practice and carries a maximum 7 year jail penalty if caught... don't want to "piss on your chips" mate, but thought you might prefer to know if you didnt already.
Where did you read that? It's a load of rubbish. The government are fully approving of it hence the 2500 allowed provision..

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172

Where did you read that? It’s well known that it’s not illegal. They even showed it on top gear/fifth gear years ago

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Nah thats a load of b****cks

It does sound a bit suspect that you don't have to pay any tax on using it as fuel though. 2,500L is a lot!

They brought it in a while ago, mostly it was to prevent HMRC getting inundated with tax returns from Veg users.
2500L a year was set as a limit that would be ok for domestic users but would prevent commercial operators from using it.

No-one really cares about a few old bangers using abit of veg, what they didn't want were fleets of van and truck drivers switching to the stuff.

Countryman JCW
Where did you read that? It's a load of rubbish. The government are fully approving of it hence the 2500 allowed provision..

Where did you read that? It’s well known that it’s not illegal. They even showed it on top gear/fifth gear years ago

Apologies for scare mongering, you are 100% correct! Im trying to find the website i saw that on!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Apologies for scare mongering, you are 100% correct! Im trying to find the website i saw that on!

Probably the news to be fair, they love to put out s**t without bothering to check the facts.

IIRC veg burns with less harmful emissions as well (except the smell)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Problem is, if everyone used veg oil the price of it would go up, then my chips would cost more.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Problem is, if everyone used veg oil the price of it would go up, then my chips would cost more.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
These are awesome! I had a 1.4 Arosa TDI... it used to get about 65mpg, i remapped it and that went up to 75mpg, pretty nippy once mapped and agree with the comments re: body roll !

I paid about £1300 for mine, sold it for £1700. I'm actually in the market currently for a cheap motor to run me to work and back so might look at these again... i would have to opt for the TDI over the SDI though!
image-28-jpg.1088155

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/my-latest-purchase.723437/
I was going to say something similar - regarding going for the TDi option over the SDi.

Years ago when my dad switched from a 1.9d Berlingo to a 2.0HDi one - the HDi version was quicker, faster and did more MPGs. I think I'm correct in saying that his insurance went down on it too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

It did shoot up in price, but that was several years ago when more people were doing it.
Now that number has dropped as old cars have come off the road.

You could get the last style VW golf with an SDI engine too

Imagine that SDI engine being slow as s**t in the Lupo then adding a few hundread kilos of weight, i can’t imagine how slow it’d be lol.

There was a Mk4 Golf with a 1.9 TDi engine that could run veg, basically just a turbo'd version of Dan's Lupo.
110bhp made till about 2002, fairly easy to tune as well.

Clio
My old boss ran a old 2003 7 series on used chip fat from the chippy over the road

It smelt like a kebab on start up ! It lasted a few months before it stopped for good lol

I towed a M3 with it and ripped the two eye out the M3 and it went through the back window of the 7 lol

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Top money saving tip:
When the weather gets too cold to run Veg oil, thin it down with red diesel :up: ___________ :car:________:policecar::policecar::policecar::policecar::policecar:________

what fuel pump do these run? Bosch?

Heating oil or jet fuel [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2

Are the tdi’s PD? If unit injectors should run on anything- no pump to lubricate

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
That was why the TD5 Land Rover has unit injectors

Listerine & Poledo
This thread inspired me and my cousin to refine our "Aldiesel" even further.

Aldiesel - It's like diesel, only cheaper.
Created by taking all the old diesel filters from services (and the occasional petrol filter) and draining them all into a tank, then run it all through another filter.

Now, along with a 20l glug of the above, this M-plate Passat TD it took a few litres of veg oil....... zero issues. Amazing. We're now looking into how much Bookers charge at the cash & cash for 20l drums of veg oil..... this passat may never see a petrol station again!

29527156_10156241666038535_1816236755_o.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Does it smoke and does it smell like a mobile chip shop?

Damn right it does. But that's more to do with boost and fuelling levels. It'd smoke just as hard on V-Power Diesel.

No obvious chip-shop smells, but then it's a mix of petrol, diesel and veg oil...probably some transmission fluid for good measure too.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Veg usually makes a whiter smoke than diesel anyway, even if the fuelling is abit rich.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Do you think that my 2004 combo van would run on oil?
Mine has the 1.7 dti engine from the Isuzu.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Probably get away with a mix, but not 100% oil.

Veg Oil is down to about 74p at Costco right now.

Countryman JCW
Im looking to make my work commute as cheap as possible, and this thread got me looking at these little cars again! So now going to look at/possibly buy a Lupo on Saturday if it doesn't sell in between now and then :grimacing:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'd buy a similar age Golf TDi instead, still run on veg and get good MPG but less frustratingly slow.
You want the 89bhp or 109bhp models sold between 1997-2002

Here's a 90bhp model

s-l500.jpg

Here's a 110bhp one

s-l1600.jpg

This one is probably 110bhp

Get people to send a picture of the engine, you can tell between the two

TDI engine you want:

a2ea3d5bd6867d4145b532377bcc3bcc.jpg

PD Engine you don't want:

13079.jpg

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
All this is making me want to try it in my 320d, but knowing my luck it would just conk out

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
All this is making me want to try it in my 320d, but knowing my luck it would just conk out

Guess can’t do it to my Saab? 😧

No most engines usually die, it's the viscosity that usually kills, veg oil is much thicker than diesel (especially at lower temps) making it harder to pump.
The old Bosch pump cars manage it because the pump was just beast, also indirect injection systems like used in the Pug 306 work at lower pressures than direct.