ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Klaus - Lupo SDI

Listerine & Poledo
If the oil is used, it thins it down a little, but yeah, as our man above says, it'll still shaft anything remotely "modern".

I wouldn't want to try a winter morning cold start with a tankful of Tesco Value Veg Oil, that's for sure.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
If the oil is used, it thins it down a little, but yeah, as our man above says, it'll still shaft anything remotely "modern".

I wouldn't want to try a winter morning cold start with a tankful of Tesco Value Veg Oil, that's for sure.
I did recently. Would not recommend. Involved the Rac towing me back home 2 miles.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

Just glow the whole engine for about 20 mins[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I did recently. Would not recommend. Involved the Rac towing me back home 2 miles.

5%-10% Petrol in the mix keeps it from gelling. Petrol robs the Cetane value though, making it slower.
I used to stick 20% or so Diesel in as well, got it running lovely even in the coldest times in winter.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Not legal tho? (Not that anyone would ever find out)

Plenty of proper Cetane boosters you can get.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Kerosene and something to lubricate it with is fine I think. People use normal diesel and then add a bit in for a cleaner burn.

2-ethylhexyl nitrate and 2 stroke oil is a good mix to boost cetane levels as well. Can buy that by the drum ahahah

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
2 stroke in general is excellent to help keep the pump lubricated, 1:200 ratio is recommended.

Mind you on an old beater that owes you nothing in the first place, do you even care?

Listerine & Poledo
All this is brilliant info to take back to Liam, so we can blend up all-new kinds of Aldiesel, thanks CS

This is almost exactly what happened with mine, i bought my sdi to use as a cheap run around for a month or so but it was so cheap i kept it, i also ran it on Veg, then someone went in to the back of it and i bought it back from the insurance (well they let me have it) eventually i sold it to a friend who was desperate and she scraped it after 5 months because it failed the mot on a leaking brake cylinder, i wish she had told me because i would have had it back, it was on just over 250k miles when she scrapped it

Countryman JCW
This is almost exactly what happened with mine, i bought my sdi to use as a cheap run around for a month or so but it was so cheap i kept it, i also ran it on Veg, then someone went in to the back of it and i bought it back from the insurance (well they let me have it) eventually i sold it to a friend who was desperate and she scraped it after 5 months because it failed the mot on a leaking brake cylinder, i wish she had told me because i would have had it back, it was on just over 250k miles when she scrapped it
250k thats brilliant! Wonder if the 1.4 TDI unit would manage similar mileage

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The 1.4 engines are shite, they sound like typewriters and they usually kill themselves before 200k. My mate had a 1.4 Arosa on NOS and it lasted about 30 seconds, then again he kills cars like it’s a full time job[emoji23][emoji23]

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
So after a quick search you can buy these with MOT for around £300, £30 tax, it runs on veg oil, parts that cost peanuts, what's insurance like?

I think we might have a winner for the cheapest car to buy and run in the UK.
The value of them is going to rocket if we all buy them.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
My uncle had a 1.7 SDi. He paid £350 and had it for 4 years, he ran it on normal diesel because he’s a tit. Then he bought a mk2 caddy which was cool asf!

But then he sold that... [emoji52][emoji23]

Countryman JCW
So let me get this straight... if you had a 1.7 SDI VAG car, you could go to costco or something buy a load of veg oil and just run the car purely on it? or is there a ratio with normal diesel or something?

Im in the market again currently looking for another 1.4tdi, but theres nothing about thats ticking the boxes currently, so quite tempted to look at a 1.7 sdi if i can make it even cheaper to run?

Any pro's cons apart from the smell of running the car on veg oil?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much, although it doesn't work as well in cold conditions because it makes the oil thicker, that's why people use a mix of veg oil and diesel, as in a quarter tank of diesel and the rest oil, or heat a load of oil up before using it as that thins it out a bit (as in heat it up and let it cool, not pour boiling oil in your tank). That's why people use old veg oil from the chippy and filter the crap out, as it's a lot thinner than fresh.

But you can pretty much just pour Costco veg oil straight into it and it will work.

Not that i've ran a car on veg oil, it's just stuff i've learnt from people that have.

Last edited:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So let me get this straight... if you had a 1.7 SDI VAG car, you could go to costco or something buy a load of veg oil and just run the car purely on it? or is there a ratio with normal diesel or something?

Im in the market again currently looking for another 1.4tdi, but theres nothing about thats ticking the boxes currently, so quite tempted to look at a 1.7 sdi if i can make it even cheaper to run?

Any pro's cons apart from the smell of running the car on veg oil?
It's exactly what I do.
. Went shopping to Costco with my mum and my fuel light was on. I filled up in the car park as I have a funnel in my boot at all times.

Downside is as what dreads says. Can be very slow when cold but onceowarm its fjnewarm

Seat Leon Cupra R
I've not looked into veg oil running for a few years now, but seem to recall at the time lots of folk on the various VAG forums recommending used stuff. I can't remember if there was actually any real benefit other than it being free, but common sense says being a little thinner would help too provided being used oil doesn't limit the way it burns as an actual fuel. Of course if it burns less efficiently and causes more smoke/no poke then avoid, but with a little filtration plant in your garage you could save even more cash, Dan...

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't know if it's especially thinner once used, people would filter used stuff and then stick additives in which can thin it right down.
Used oil wasn't so easy to get hold of back in the day, alot of supply companies wanted the used oil back to process themselves, add-on the costs and hassle of filtering it and s**t and often was just easier to run fresh stuff from the cash & carry.

The main problem is right around zero degree's it turns into a jelly-like sludge which your car can't run, but above that temperature you're usually alrite.
Veg has a longer burn time and is thicker than diesel, so a common mod was to muck around with the pump timing to get the cold running/idle much better.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's exactly what I do.
. Went shopping to Costco with my mum and my fuel light was on. I filled up in the car park as I have a funnel in my boot at all times.

Downside is as what dreads says. Can be very slow when cold but onceowarm its fjnewarm

You want a Rotary Barrel pump to do fill-ups, they're amazing.
Crank the thing round fast enough and you'll empty a 20L veg container in a matter of seconds - zero mess as well !!
I loved my old one, could smash near 60L into my Peugeot faster than you could fill it at the petrol station :grinning:

s-l1600.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You want a Rotary Barrel pump to do fill-ups, they're amazing.
Crank the thing round fast enough and you'll empty a 20L veg container in a matter of seconds - zero mess as well !!
I loved my old one, could smash near 60L into my Peugeot faster than you could fill it at the petrol station :grinning:

s-l1600.jpg

Had one of these and I could empty a 100l drum in no time[emoji23] “Yeah mate this Cherry is deffo going in the forklift. It just makes it easier if I empty this 100l drum into 5 20l drums”[emoji30][emoji23]

Never ran cherry myself but my mates love the stuff‍♂️[emoji23]

Listerine & Poledo
Used veg oil needs filtering to get the dead chips out.
The cooking process will break down the oil to some degree, but it'll still freeze up in winter.

Next time you do an oil filter change, just pour the contents of the filter into your used veg oil before you filter it.

Also, add MotorKote to your oil.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Me either and to be fair I've never been dipped nor heard of anyone getting dipped.
I guess if you're driving a knackered transit around they'll give you a tug, but they don't seem to bother with normal cars.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I doubt you would get caught unless you where stupid enough to buy it without anything legitimate to use it for.

Countryman JCW
Awesome! Think I might start to look at SDI’s aswell then.

Apart from making it a bit slow, are there any other negative effects? Like worse fuel economy?

What do you put in it then to thin it out? Cetane boosters I saw someone mention up there? What are they? Can you really just whack some unleaded in?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You can thin out used cooking oil with diesel to make it better in winter.

I’ve been dipped before in my dCi but that was because I’d just driven it 85 miles on a motorway and then booted it away from the lights in front of a Police Car not knowing he was there. There was enough smoke for him to warrant dipping the tank... apparently.

They never found a speckle of red which was funny to watch on their face[emoji23] Made me wait about for half an hour too because they didn’t have the equipment on them[emoji1303]

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Had one of these and I could empty a 100l drum in no time[emoji23] “Yeah mate this Cherry is deffo going in the forklift. It just makes it easier if I empty this 100l drum into 5 20l drums”[emoji30][emoji23]

Older Diesel engines seemed to be more pokey on it too

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Apart from making it a bit slow, are there any other negative effects? Like worse fuel economy?

What do you put in it then to thin it out? Cetane boosters I saw someone mention up there? What are they? Can you really just whack some unleaded in?

Fuel economy is about the same, just a touch less power usually.

Unleaded is what you put in to thin it down in winter, it reduces the Cetane value though so don't use it all the time.
Cetane is to Diesel what Octane is to petrol, although in reverse - it's how well it will combust.

There's loads of different Cetane boosters you can get, I used to use VegiBoost but I'm not sure it's on sale anymore.
Millers Diesel Power EcoMax is a good fuel treatment to look at.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It’s amazing how a simple thread can turn folk to looking at cars lol.

There’s one on gumtree at the moment for £350 in Swansea that looks decent for the money

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
I loved/hated mine. cheap as chips to run and was a lot of fun on coilovers but christ it was slow. Painfully so! It would also never warm up in traffic on my commute so winter required hat and gloves! I paid £250 for it. Bought a breaker for £100 which i took panels/interior and exhaust off then sold for scrap for £70 lol

It was ace at carrying stuff though! tables, bikes, an armchair.. It's stayed in the family and my little bro is now running it. Probably more suited to a student than a 'professional' (lol - but seriously turning up on site in it was a bit embarrassing...)

Also hilarious levels of body roll on standard springs. @dann2707 did a track day in klaus 4 up!😂

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Does mixing it with Diesel not thin it out, or does unleaded make it alot thinner?
mixing with diesel does thin it out yeah.

As mentioned before, I learnt the hard way what happens when you leave the car 2 weeks when we had that snow recently. Ended up breaking down 2 miles from my house but the lovely @James172C and @Coops Mk1 came to the rescue with diesel and pizza

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Does mixing it with Diesel not thin it out, or does unleaded make it alot thinner?

Diesel is a thin oil so you're basically thinning out one thicker oil with a thinner one, you need a bunch more diesel to thin it down, like a 30% mix (but the engine does run better)
Petrol is a very strong solvent it thins down the thicker oil much more effectively, 1-2 litres can do 30L veg.