ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking in 1st n full lock

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Hi all,

I apologise if this has already been posted many times before but I have a couple of noises on my 172. The first is when I'm in 1st gear and accelerating hard I her a kinda knocking noise? It's fine if I drive it gently. Secondly, I get a knocking on full lock when turning. I assume this points to the CV joints??? One came unclipped a few months back and I had it repacked so don't know if that could've caused problems? I've also noticed when I jump in my car with the hand-brake on I get a well loud squeek? Is this just the hand brake slipping??
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers! :approve:

Dan.
(51* 172 Monaco Blue)

Hi all,

I apologise if this has already been posted many times before but I have a couple of noises on my 172. The first is when I'm in 1st gear and accelerating hard I her a kinda knocking noise? It's fine if I drive it gently. Secondly, I get a knocking on full lock when turning. I assume this points to the CV joints??? One came unclipped a few months back and I had it repacked so don't know if that could've caused problems? I've also noticed when I jump in my car with the hand-brake on I get a well loud squeek? Is this just the hand brake slipping??

First problem sounds like the classic axle tramp not much you can do adjust the top engine mount to help reduce it then check under the car its the PAS rack and or subframe catching the engine. New dogbone mount helps reduce movemtn and reduce it as well sometimes.

Check your bottom ball joints see if your top mount it catching under the bonnet and check the condition of the wisbone/ARB bushes. Could be the CV joints though its difficult to properly fix a shaft hence why getting a new ones much easier.

As for the sqeek don't worry they almost all do just the way they are.

BMW M3
Is the first knock when wheelspining or just taking off initially?

Wheelspin knock is normal usually unless its caused by the engine mounts.

And again engine mounts possibly for taking off.

Knock on full lock (usually very slow speeds and over bumps?) i think is cause but the strut top mount and can be fixed by filling the metel down or sticking a steel washer down their. Fred posted a fix a while ago.

And handbrake is normal as far as i know... just slipping a bit.

Thats just my views, not too sure how accurate they are.

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
OK - so is this engine mount an uprated one from k-tec? Would that possibly help? Is it worth taking it somewhere for a so called professional opinion? What kinda prices you loooking at for new shafts? Cheers.
Dan.

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Right think I've got my head round what you mean. Does anyone have any pics of fitting the washers on the top struts? Also how many engine mounts are there and how do I check them???

Regarding the washers.... read this - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184661

As for knocking on hard 1st gear acceleration, I had this. You need to undo the top mount on the left hand side of the engine, pull the engine as far forward as you can and then do up the mount again (to 42nm torque).

Completely stopped the banging for me :D

Sorry for my bad English, is that mean try to pull the engine mount as close as possible to the front???

Clio 182
A mate of mine had a similar knocking noise on his 172 turned out that the gear box mounting was loose apparently