ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise and other weird things

R26
Help!

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the steering wheel pointing to the left ever so slightly when going in a straight line. Thought nothing of it apart from "I need my tracking sorting". Then about a week later, I noticed when going above 80mph I got a vibration through the steering wheel. Once again I thought "C**k, I need my wheels balanced too". However, over the last couple of days I noticed that when I turn a sharpish right hand corner or go round a roundabout, I get a slight knocking noise when i return the wheel to centre. The odd thing is that it only does it for the first half of my journey to work (total distance is approx. 25miles).

I've done a search and initially thought it was the old strut top issue but these events all seem to be related. Any ideas what this is???

All help would be much appreciated! Cheers!

-Jaz.

P.S.
I've not had the tracking or balancing done yet...

i get knocking from underneath the car when turning the wheel to the right and left about 30 degree angle. fook knows what it is but its worrying.

320d
Why would your tracking be out any particular reason?

I'd get the wheels balanced as you say they haven't been done, check your tyre pressures then take it from there... start with the basics

Lots of Alfas
It could also be your driveshaft cv joint. Just have a quick look to see if its been leaking any grease out of the gaitor from over a long period of time.

R26
I think the tracking is out because of the beating my car gets from potholes on a near daily basis. The roads where I live are really bad!

The pressures are fine as I check them every few days but the wheel balancing will get done when I have time. Only have weekends to do it and they are full at the moment.

The really odd thing is that on the way home yesterday and to work today there was no knocking at all... Would the CV joint be an intermittent problem like this apparently is?

i could only think that the CV joint has gone because the tyre pressures are ok and the wheels are balanced. Tracking was done about 5 months ago.

R26
i could only think that the CV joint has gone because the tyre pressures are ok and the wheels are balanced. Tracking was done about 5 months ago.

Best thing is to get it checked out, or has been said above, get underneath and have a look for leaking. That's what I'll be planning for mine when I get a chance...

R26
wheel bearing?

When I go round tight corners at speed I don't get any noise so I don't think it would be the bearing - going by the noise I got on my last car when the bearings were gone... But another thing to get checked out just in casse i suppose.

I will try the washers that fred at yozzasport has done. I believe that the wheel bearings have gone. How much do wheel bearings cost? My mate will change them for me. Where is the CV joint, so i know if its leaking or not.

R26
Update:

After 24hrs of knock free motoring the noise is back! I've noticed the volume of the knock is related to how fast I'm going. So far since a big one last night it's only done it once on the way to work. I have notice however that my right front wheel is leaning in slightly more than my left. I'm assuming that's not normal???

I've also been searching the technical forums but I can't find anyone with the same symptoms. Most seem to have a continuous knock on cornering where mine only happens once...