ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise/power steering, Help needed! (Watford)

Clio 172
Where do i start??!

My 172 (52 plate, 52K) went into Renault today to diagnose a strange knocking noise f/o/s when turning at low speed. I also told them the headlight washers leak and can empty the bottle in 2 hours.

4 hours later i get told the power steering pump is knackered and it'll need a new one, along with a new aux belt kit (the current one having done 1500 miles...) as they go 'hand in hand'.

The cost? £950.

£380 for the parts and the rest in labour - and that quote includes £110 to fit the new washer jets!!

Theres no way i have a grand to spend, having just taxed it yeaterday and am stuck on what to do. Its a lovely car but only 2 months into ownership and i've had a gut full already.

Can anyone offer any advice, or recommend an independant near Watford where i might be able to save a bit??!

Cheers

Scott

I would also consider that the knocking could also be the top mount and nothing to do with the power steering!

PH1 172 Sport
Sounds like the top mounts to me. If the power steering is working correctly ie its doing its job correctly, not losing fluid etc. Then I wouldn't of thought the power steering pump was knackered.

Washer jets I would do yourself or if you want to save money for now just block the pipes off to them.

Do a search for the top mounts knocking as that can be cured with a suitilble washer. Might be worth a try

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I agree , sounds like the top mount problem , knocking . Easily fixed and cheap ;) As said , do a search .

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Ball joint lower arm or top mount. if it were a pump it would do it in any sitution.
They must be chargeing you an hours labour for the washers when the bumper has to come off to do the belt and pump. i have blocked them off on my car.

Clio 172
Yeah they wanted £135 to do the washers alone! I just had this gut feeling it'd cost me nearly a grand and i'd drive out with it making the same noise it went in for. Can't imagine they'd be overly fast in giving my dosh back....
Blocked pipes and washers for now - fingers crossed!